PDA

View Full Version : I can't find my CD ROM drive:mad:

slateman
07-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Yesterday I bought an RCA lyra and installed the stuff that came with it. It said something about USB drivers. I come home from work and discover that when I put a CD in I can't read the disc. It keeps saying to insert the disc. The light on the drive keeps blinking rapidly (supposed to be solid when reading).

Did installing the USB drivers screw it up? Would installing Windows XP fix the problem? (I was going to do it tonight but this problem came up)

I have a HP pavilion xt878.

e mag
07-30-2003, 08:06 PM
do you currently have xp installed? if so you shouldnt have to install any drivers for usb.

morph228
07-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Did you try looking under the sofa cushions, I lose a lot of stuff under there.

Seriously though, If you have XP it should automatically detect your drive. Just so my thoughts are in line with yours...under "my computer" you can see the icon for the cd drive right? If so, uninstall the drivers that you loaded up then reboot your computer with the cd drive hooked up, then down in your taskbar a little ballon should pop up and inform you that you have new hardware.

slateman
07-30-2003, 10:36 PM
I have Windows ME. I was putting XP into the drive to install it when I discovered it didn't work. I can install XP still (I have a DVD-ROM) but will it automatically fix the error or am I still screwed?

morph228
07-30-2003, 11:37 PM
installing xp is a good bet. XP is godly when it comes to detecting hardware. That's my advice. once you got XP on your computer it simplifies matters greatly.

beam
07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Did it ever work? Could have the IDE cable reversed, although that is hard to do with the way they are notched on the drive. Could be flipped around on the mobo.

Seems like I've flipped them around on older floppy drives and the lights just stay on all the time. Just a thought.