PDA

View Full Version : UL Trigger Installation & Eval

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Drum roll please!

The first trick was to realize that (except for the tiny black on/off o-ring) I had the wrong o-rings. But thanks to my super-duper AGD Tech Kit, I was soon on my way.

BTW, AGD Tech Kits are now available and a must for any serious AGD dealer.

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-02-2003, 02:16 AM
The on/off pin slipped into the lower body just fine, but I found bonding the on/off pin support into place was a lot easier with the help of a dental pick. At home you can use a simple straight pin to tease the “blue Lok-Tite” into the hole.

I also suggest wiping off all excess Lok-Tite from the pin support and applying a very thin coat of Lok-Tite to the end of the pin before inserting it into the support. You don’t want any excess that might glue the support stuck in the hole.

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-02-2003, 02:18 AM
I started out with two ULT shims that operated the trigger efficiently from the first air up and through a short lived 1000 rounds. Although later I found the sweet spot for this particular marker by using 1-LX shim and 1-ULT shim. This combo took about an hour of post assembly trial & error and another 2 cases of paint.

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-02-2003, 02:33 AM
The ULT slipped into the X-Valve of one of my ULEX customs firmly and evenly. The ULEX crono’d at 287 fps and only hiccupped a few times over 500 rounds. A tap on the valve body with a screw driver handle knocked the on/off loose each time. After about 1000 rounds, the only malfunctions were from S.H.T.’s (Stupid Human Tricks) like short stroking the trigger.

Installation took about 5 minutes and I got a firm 8 bps (with a Halo TSA) right off the bat. As of the writing of this evaluation, I have gone through 5 cases breaking in the ULT and LX. I plan to have some local hot shots give it a try tomorrow. I have no doubt I will soon be able to document 14 bps or better (using a Halo B).

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Over all, the ULT trigger pull is half or less that of the typical X-Valve trigger. The reactive bounce is there but barely felt and should lie to rest any reactive trigger issues. Don’t try to walk this trigger, its not that sensitive. Fanning this trigger is the way to go if you need to put out some serious fire power. With a little practice the average player should be easily able to increase their ROF by 30% or better.

If you don’t want to worry about a board or battery, this is “la bamba!” TK said the ULT kit will sell for around $50 and in my opinion is worth every cent.

I’d like to thank Greg Leavitt (below) for helping with the photos.

cockermongol
08-02-2003, 02:43 AM
cool

Jack & Coke
08-02-2003, 03:06 AM
Great write up!

Thanks for a great contribution!

Now where's your eye protection! :D j/k

SlipknotX556
08-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Very Cool, Thanks for the info.

Jerhew
08-05-2003, 12:38 AM
cool man

Animal Mother
08-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the pics, I was interested to know what the ULE would look like.

Army
08-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Wow, great job Jeff! Thanks a million!

Thanks to Greg too!

TheJester
08-05-2003, 11:35 AM
where can i find 1 of those super-duper AGD Tech Kit???

Jerhew
08-05-2003, 11:45 AM
...still waiting to hear about possible use of trigger stops...trigger rod lengths...

Kevmaster
08-05-2003, 01:07 PM
leave the trigger rod alone

Koosh
08-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster

yeah! what did the trigger rod ever do to you?:p

Good write up with pictures, but could you give a step by step on how to install it? I don't really know which end is up on that... Does the kit come with install instructions?

batteryfree
08-05-2003, 11:26 PM
well all i can say is where can i buy one???

Jerhew
08-06-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Kevmaster

getting tired of hearing that...:rolleyes:
if there is excess slack between the trigger and the rod...
how does it make any difference?
it'd be the same as using a front trigger stop...
essentially
i may go with the trigger stop instead though...

TheJester
08-06-2003, 06:23 AM
i already have a trigger stop installed on my mag, when i get my ult installed i'll let you know how much it's needed

tmnothing
08-06-2003, 07:48 AM
I was wondering... what is the blue loctite for? Is that necessary for the installation? I dont understand why you would want any part of that kit not to be able to move.

batteryfree
08-06-2003, 12:36 PM
does any one know if they r being sold to the public yet, and if they are where can i buy one???

afrankart
08-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Check the online store, they went on sale 2 days ago. Don't be surprized if they are all gone for now.

Jerhew
08-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by tmnothing
I was wondering... what is the blue loctite for? Is that necessary for the installation? I dont understand why you would want any part of that kit not to be able to move.

the trigger rod is no longer one piece...
they use the loctite to hold the two pieces together...(i guess just so it's easier to install/so you don't lose any pieces)
blackvcg said that you'd be better off using a dab of grease than loctite...
i know i'd rather have grease inside my on/off than loctite

silentdeath55
08-07-2003, 11:41 AM
So, is grease necessary for installation, or is it just a luxury(to make sure the pin stays in during the installation process)?

Jerhew
08-07-2003, 03:41 PM
won't be able to say until tomarrow :D
i'm just repeating things i've read

speeddemon
08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Its there to hold the 2 pieces together so the support doesn't fall out when installing the valve. Its not necessary, but you would have to install the valve upside down every time so it won't fall out.

silentdeath55
08-07-2003, 07:48 PM
I got it...I'm installing it right now, but am stuck on where to put the 2 oring it came with. Do they replace the other two i took out?

Jerhew
08-07-2003, 07:52 PM
well there are 4 o-rings all together
the little rubber one goes inside the on/off
the second smallest one goes in the very top and the two that are the same diameter go on the outside of the on/off
if you have more than 4 then agd must've given you extra ones

Jerhew
08-07-2003, 07:54 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96538

here go to this thread
it might help

silentdeath55
08-07-2003, 08:12 PM
the new on/off came with all the o-rings on it, and there were two extra in a baggy. My gun wont fire even with all the shims in it...Is that bad?

Jerhew
08-07-2003, 08:24 PM
ok first off...
check your tank pressure...it sounds silly but it's happened before...people trying to test a gun with an empty tank
double check to make sure it works with the stock on/off...
to affirm that the ult is the problem
next
make sure you have all the parts shown in the picture on the thread i linked in my last post
next
make sure you assembled everything correctly and the pin isn't binding
then go through the startup procedure again...
start with no shims and work your way up to 6
if you dont have enough, level 10 shims will work but are twice as thick as ult shims

silentdeath55
08-07-2003, 08:31 PM
WOW! thats all i can say, wow. this upgrade is awsome! I have 5 ULT(all thjat it came with) shims and 1 LX shim. If i go down to 4 ULT shims i short stroke almost every shot and my LX gets stuck.

Jerhew
08-07-2003, 08:33 PM
sweet
good to hear ya got it going
mine comes tomarrow:D
can't wait

silentdeath55
08-07-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm running an AIR minimag valve and I did have a lot of trouble with short stroking. What I did to counteract this is add more shims. Doing this has made the trigger pull slightly heavier, but still very light.

this is my total shim count(I think, I dont feel like taking my valve out again)...

4 ULT shims
2 LX shims

If I take out one shim I do short stroke, but not often(only when I try and shoot really fast). Another thing I noticed is that my LX is getting stuck when I short stroke. To fix that I have to push it back with my finger. I'm not sure if I need to tune my LX or what...Anyone with any suggestion??? I will be glad to try them out. I am off tomorrow so I can mess with it some more. I will post any more interesting findings.

TheJester
08-08-2003, 09:10 AM
ok, what's included with the ULT? any quick installation guides? I've read the threads on how to install it, but what about tuning it? either i'm not looking in the right places or i haven't found anything on how to tune it. is it the more shims, the stiffer...but more reactive. the less shims, the lighter...but less reactive do i have this right? or am i completly off base?

silentdeath55
08-08-2003, 11:20 AM
When I opened up the ULT trigger upgrade package, it came with the on/off assembly fully assembled(all o-rings were on it and the pin was inside so grease or loc-tite was not needed). Also included were 5 shims (2 were on the assembly and 3 were in a baggy with extra orings). I somehow lost an oring so the extras came in handy. So it's basically a drop in kit; take your old on/off assembly and o-rings out, and drop the new one in. As for shims....

Here are the EXACT instructions that came with the kit...

Note: the ULE Trigger Pull Kit contains critical high performance parts. Be careful when taking apart and reassembling the kit. The on/off pin is thin and not under warranty. This kit will only work in valves that contain 2 orings on the top of the on/off assembly. Visit the forums at www.automags.org for additional information.

-Remove the current on/off assembly and all on/off orings.
-Insert the ULE Trigger Pull Kit.
-Reassemble the gun, gas it up, and fire.
-if the gun has shoot down or will not fire, remove the kit, unscrew the two halves, add 1 (or more) shims, reassemble, and fire again.
-If the gun is double firing, or going full auto, then remove the kit, unscrew the two halves, remove 1 (or more) shims, reassemble, and fire again.

I hope this answers you shim question and gets you ready for the installation process. It is not hard at all to install, so dont worry about that.

aut911
08-08-2003, 12:29 PM
you know, TK could have solved the whole problem with the pin falling apart by putting a tiny set crew or even just another tiny oring on the point where the small pin meets the support but hey its really not that big of a deal.

cant wait for mine.

aut

Jerhew
08-09-2003, 12:57 AM
they come bonded so it's not really a factor anyway...
atleast not until that tiny rubber oring wears out
btw they don't make set screws that small
this thing is uber tiny

aut911
08-09-2003, 06:46 PM
yeah i kinda just found that out because i went to my local hardware shop and the smallest they had wasa 3 millimeter.

pretty small for normal use but way to big for the application.

grease or glue it is then.

aut

afrankart
08-10-2003, 04:52 PM
I just got mine setup with 3 lv 10 shims and 1 ULE shim. It is real light and snappy, I like it alot. The only thing is also when I do shortstroke it it seems like I get a fair amount of boltstick. I was thinking about going to one size bigger LvX carrier to see if that helps at all. I probably won't be able to get more air until tomorrow or Tues though.:(

spacedtedybear
08-10-2003, 09:53 PM
I put 4 shims in my trigger, and man does it ROCK!! I was able to outshoot my 12V revy a couple times. The only problem I have is when I turn on the air, it shoots off a ball.

doubletap
08-11-2003, 10:38 AM
I put all 5 ult shims and 1 lvlX shim and I had serious shooting problems. Could not shoot, bolt seem to lock up, appearance of no pressure to the on/off. I removed 1 of the ult shims and it is working great. I took it to the field this past weekend and it is kick azz. Put over 2500 rounds through it and not one problem, except, my gun would also fire one shot on airing up, after that no problems, no breaks. Does anyone know why the gun might be doing this? I have also noticed that when I pull the trigger slowly I get a slight whistle sound coming from the gun. Anyone, with any ideas on that?

X-Valve
ULE Body
LVLX
IFrame
ULT

Eric Cartman
08-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Just got mine today. I've only put air through it, but I love it already. I'm running 4 ULT shims and one LX shim in an X valve. No problems with short stroking or runaway, but I do notice that sometimes when I gassed the gun up, it would fire once. Any one know what's up with that?

Cheers!

Methos
08-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Im takin a stab in the dark, but its gotta have something to do with the ultra light ammount of force necessary to trigger the valve, when you gas it up, the pin is already pushed in so it releases a shot then resets itself. This happens to me also. Good thing for barrel condoms! =)

Meph
08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Hmmmmmm. Full auto, eh?

Tippmann World Challenge 5 is coming up. And Hells Survivors allows full auto! Hmmmmmmmmmm.

No matter, couldn't do it any ways. I'm using my A-5 for that event.

leblondse
08-16-2003, 01:54 PM
OK. I've tried the ULE trigger with everything from no shims to more shims than I can fit in there. I cannot get this thing to stop bolt sticking. That and every couple shots it will short stroke. Trust me I'm not shooting fast at all. I have a level 10 that works perfectly with my old on/off. Any ideas?... I need help.

acecl22
08-16-2003, 03:49 PM
for all those people who are having the ule trigger make their gun shoot on gas up, my xvalve (without ule trigger) used to do that every single time up until recently, so i think it has to do with the new o-rings or something. so i would say give it the right amount of oil and break it in realy well, that should solve the problem