PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new gun

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Im getting a new gun...what is anybody's recommendation for what I should get? :rolleyes:

Benfica4ever
08-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Well it depends how much you are going to spend.

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Probably up to $500, Im not definitely sure. It could be a tiny bit more.

Benfica4ever
08-02-2003, 05:28 PM
You can get a nice mag with ule intelli and x-vavle, or a Rtp with maybe ule
I am not very good with pricing imps but definetly get a pretty good impulse. try to look in the classifieds forum.

Python14
08-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Buy a used retromag setup from the BST forum here.

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 05:32 PM
thanks for your opinions, the only thing is, is that i dont want used. my ex-boyfriend taught me A LOT about pball and one thing was to not get used. but thanks for all of your help, i'll take some of those into consideration. :)

Ov3rmind
08-02-2003, 05:42 PM
There's not much to worry about if you're buying a used Mag, if buying an electro you should be a little more cautious though.

FooTemps
08-02-2003, 05:52 PM
lol, i always buy used. You just need to find trustworthy people. That may be hard on some forums but most good traders have feedback threads everywhere.

With that out of the way, you could buy a cocker setup with that much. Cockers are pretty reliable and don't need any tweaking out of the box. I think you could also get a bushmaster. Also, don't buy an impulse or shocker... those are made by a crappy company called smart parts.

KornKamp02
08-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FooTemps
Also, don't buy an impulse or shocker... those are made by a crappy company called smart parts. LOL

Python14
08-02-2003, 06:07 PM
LOL...good point Footemps:D

There is nothing wrong with buying used. In fact, it can work to your benefit because not only do you get a gun that costs less, it also generally includes some extras...and many times has had the looseness and sloppiness tweak out of it. Now ofcoarse, a brand new mag has no looseness or sloppiness but you get the idea, dontcha?
And for the most part, most traders on AO are legitamate, just be careful and always check feedback. OTherwise, enjoy the forums here, and I hope you find a good gun that suits you.

SIGSays
08-02-2003, 06:26 PM
well... contact me and i can help you out

Steelrat
08-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Is that $500 for everything, or just the marker? Becasue guns like the mag require an HPA tank, which is $150-200 on its own. Thats something to keep in mind.

and when you say "new gun" it seems to imply you already have a gun of some sort. If you do, what do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it.

For pure durability and simplicity, its hard to beat the Tippmans, especially since they can run well off of CO2, which is MUCH cheaper to set up.

$tevo
08-02-2003, 08:26 PM
well if you didnt mind used markers, i would say a used emag, if you already had a hopper and nitro. but if you dont want a used marker, you could get a bushmaster, or mag, and pimp it out. what marker you shoot now? if anything.

Steelrat
08-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Ah Bushmaster, thats it. I was thinking of good cheap electros, and I forgot about Bushies. A BKO runs, what, about $300, and has several good upgrades you could get in the future. For an electro, its hard to beat. I'm not sure if it can run on CO2, but the low price will give you the room to get a HPA tank if you need to.

Another option is an Impulse. LOTS of upgrades available that can turn it into a good marker. Just ignore the anti-smart parts thing. If they had a valid patent, and it was infriged upon, they deserve the money. If not, then the courts will take care of everything.

Last option: Scrape together another $250 and get a Viking, the last gun you will ever need.

$tevo
08-02-2003, 09:45 PM
yup either the viking or an emag..both friggen awesome guns.

08-02-2003, 09:46 PM
For 500 you could probably get a pretty nice Bushmaster 2003, Impulse(I have heard some horror stories but it is a good gun as long as u treat it right :eek: ), Omen is also out there, I would just go to the field and try out peoples guns.

Buying use should not be a problem as long as you check out the seller first. Ask for feedback on his previous sales.

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 10:08 PM
ok well to be totally honest, i was thinking emag myself, my ex had one and i loved it. im just not sure how much a used mag wood cost me, and im still a little iffy on the used...:rolleyes:

Mag Master 04
08-02-2003, 10:48 PM
did this lady get the AO welcome she diserves??? if you did and i didnt catch it feel free to flame away only in moderation though...anywho welcome to AO and i dunno bout yur b/f but used and abused is fun to work with...theres alot of good ppl on AO who are always sellin and buyin used equiptment...good luck

HEY...skip on over to the pie revoultion thread in friendly and become a member, talk to sneaky, tell em i sent ya;)

Steelrat
08-02-2003, 10:52 PM
I sold my emag used for $550. I might get flamed for this, but the original emags (the ones youd likey find in your price range) are markedly different from the ULE ones being sold currently. The old ones are heavy. They shoot well, and are reliable, but just arent quite as good. But its always something you can upgrade.

But remember, even though your ex liked his, doesnt necessarily mean you will like yours. After reading about emags on AO, I went ahead and got a used one. Didn't like it at all. Tried a Viking, loved it, and bought one. Its all about personal preference.

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
i had played w/his emag and stuff and i really did like it, how much u think a used runs? bc he bought new it was like $700

Steelrat
08-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, mine was an old one, and sold for $550. That seems to be towards the lower end of what emags go for.

Remember again, though, that his might have been a newer one, with the ULE frame and such. You might want to post where you are to see if anyone can let you shoot theirs and see what you need to look for. You can't go wrong with an emag.

Out of curiosity, I know you shot his, but did you try any other electos? If not, you owe it to yourself to try a few. You may find something you prefer. The BKO mentioned earlier is a good marker, and is extremely light. Trust me, the things start to get heavy after a while.

PballCHick04
08-02-2003, 11:35 PM
well his gun he just got this year, it was a brand spanking new one. awesome! i've only shot the guns he has..spyder, emag and i think the other one might have been a cocker? mayb? i dont remember the 3rd one

FooTemps
08-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 845
Impulse(I have heard some horror stories but it is a good gun as long as u treat it right :eek: )

HOW DARE YOU EVEN MENTION THAT MARKER!?! THEY ARE MADE BY A CRAPPY COMPANY CALLED SMART PARTS!

Steelrat
08-03-2003, 12:33 AM
I'm glad we've comletely villified Smart Parts without knowing anything about the matter except the small crumbs that Tom Kaye has chosen to dole out.

IceCool32
08-03-2003, 01:01 AM
Come on, Smart Parts makes great products, I owned an Impulse, it worked FLAWLESSLY. Never once had a problem. So, if you're going to bash a company due to their doings and dealings, rather than their customer service, and product quality do it. But that doesn't overlook the fact that they are in fact, a good company. They will get what they deserve, wheter it's in their favor or not.

Darkstorm
08-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Consider Air America for a HPA "the reg" works well and is cheap bought directly from them.

Also setup that has an Xvalve with a Intelliframe is in my oppinion as good as an electro, without any of the headaches.

LittlePaintballBoy
08-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Steeratt
Well, mine was an old one, and sold for $550. That seems to be towards the lower end of what emags go for.

Remember again, though, that his might have been a newer one, with the ULE frame and such. You might want to post where you are to see if anyone can let you shoot theirs and see what you need to look for. You can't go wrong with an emag.

Out of curiosity, I know you shot his, but did you try any other electos? If not, you owe it to yourself to try a few. You may find something you prefer. The BKO mentioned earlier is a good marker, and is extremely light. Trust me, the things start to get heavy after a while.

i found i could make my gun seem lighter, just by making it more balanced. everyone says my drop is ugly, and i know it is, but i can balance my whole setup on my pinky. if you absoloutley HAVE to go electro, id say get a bushy, cheap, tons of good stuff to put on, and youll still have enough to buy a tank and hopper and stuff.

Cryer
08-03-2003, 10:41 AM
A couple of things I like about the mags are:
1. as mentioned before, even if you buy a used one, they're still just as good.
2. You can start small and work your way up. I paid 400 and had a funtional mag (w/air). I slowly built it up until I got this:
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=830270

Ov3rmind
08-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Man Cryer, looking at your gun never gets old.

Cryer
08-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
Man Cryer, looking at your gun never gets old.

:D thx!

$tevo
08-03-2003, 01:33 PM
cryer how do u like that drop? im thinkin bout gettin one soon. it makes it easy to rest your tank on your shoulder right? is your mag balanced well with it?

Cryer
08-03-2003, 01:48 PM
I love it. I can shoulder my tank great. It's almost too short, but I hop to fix that by getting the y-grip.
I definately recommend this drop.

AllAmericanMag
08-03-2003, 01:53 PM
A little over $500, but I think you'd be satisfied.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/prod_images/de50go.jpg

GhostXmasFuture
08-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Cryer, what type of grip is that on your mag?
I gotta know.

The best advice for buying paintball guns is to buy extra paint when you go to a field and ask to shoot different guns and setups. Decide for yourself what will be right for you. Don't forget to be honest with yourself and don't buy hype.

Cryer
08-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by GhostXmasFuture
Cryer, what type of grip is that on your mag?
I gotta know.

...The foregrip? thats a 2k2 Dye Foregrip. The 2k3 foregrips are just a little fatter.

...Or the grip panels on the frame? Those are Frymark's custom resin grips. She used to make them to order, but she stopped to spend more time with her family.

PballCHick04
08-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone, i def think im going to get an emag

Cryer
08-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by PballCHick04
Thanks for your advice everyone, i def think im going to get an emag

My work here is done:p

$tevo
08-03-2003, 07:33 PM
good choice pballchick!:)

MantisMag