PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State will investigate Clarett

logamus
08-03-2003, 02:06 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-ohiost-clarett-theft&prov=ap&type=lgns

the old saying, if your not cheating, your not winning. holds true even in columbus i guess.

WicKeD_WaYz
08-03-2003, 01:00 PM
o well

n e wayz...

GO BUCKS!!!!

Lakeview Bulldog
08-03-2003, 01:26 PM
That is total BS. I dont see what the big deal is. So he got some special treatment. Who cares? I am of the opinion that athletes should be given special treatment. They are subjected to more stress than the average student. They are held to a higher standard than the average student. If a regular OSU student was arrested for public drunkeness would that be on the front page of the local paper? No way. But if some third string punter did it, it would be a media feeding frenzy. Bottom line is that it is much harder to be a student and an athlete than just a regular student. So cut the guy some slack. OH yeah... GO BUCKS!!

ntn4502
08-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Being the offical all time biggest Buck fan on here, this is an entire load of BS, that being said, I am starting to sweat more and more about it, I'll be in the stands for Washington, he better be on the feild

ratmonkey
08-03-2003, 03:34 PM
well rules are rules. almost every school breaks them. i.e. academic fraud and cheese courses. (do you honestly think that a course in the principles of football is tougher than something a "normal" student would take for their major?) the fact of the matter is he overstated the value of items stolen and is being fuzzy in accounting where he got the stuff from in the first place. bottom line, he got caught when others haven't yet. i doubt it'll have any bearing at all on his future nfl carreer.

oh yeah. go lions.

1stdeadeye
08-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ntn4502
Being the offical all time biggest Buck fan on here, this is an entire load of BS, that being said, I am starting to sweat more and more about it, I'll be in the stands for Washington, he better be on the feild

Sorry NTN and Automaggin2! It was I who dropped the dime on Clarrett. You guys with your Big 10 this and that. Now maybe you will realize that the ACC rules all!;) :p

MagMan5446
08-03-2003, 06:07 PM
It's all about the Irish.

Really though, why special treatment? Football really isn't that hard. Wrestling is hard. Football is easy, it's a stroll in the park compared.

scud2519
08-03-2003, 09:52 PM
but football is more of a mainstream/spectator sport.

cphilip
08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Did any of you bother to read the link? Its not about cheating and special treatment. Its not about the school. Its about a student athelete that may have commited theft or at the very least filed a false report about theft.

Automaggin2
08-04-2003, 11:24 AM
This is BS.

So many atheletes get by in school with ease because of there athletic ability. Its complete BS. People just want to see OSU go down.

Vendetta
08-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Gee, Has anyone else every test driven a car to school? I quess it was one of those 4 your "test drives::p

logamus
08-05-2003, 10:51 AM
how many student athletes test drive cars with 6 grand worth of mobile electronics and cash in them?

for the record, the BIG 12 owns all.

Automaggin2
08-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ntn4502
Being the offical all time biggest Buck fan on here

Thats pushin it!:D

O-H

Automaggin2
08-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by logamus
how many student athletes test drive cars with 6 grand worth of mobile electronics and cash in them?

for the record, the BIG 12 owns all.

What did Big 12 do last season in football?

Texas....sucked.
OKState....sucked.
Colorado....sucked.
Nebraska....sucked.

I do have to say, Oklahoma is looking extremly good this year.

Big 12 is ok, they have some good seasons and some bad ones.

ShooterJM
08-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lakeview Bulldog
Who cares? I am of the opinion that athletes should be given special treatment. They are subjected to more stress than the average student. They are held to a higher standard than the average student. Bottom line is that it is much harder to be a student and an athlete than just a regular student.

I can only hope that the drivel above is in jest.

I mean, I KNOW you're not saying that an athlete on a full ride scholarship, majoring in PE is under "more stress" then the student who's taking a normal course load and working and still having to take out loans.... :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to touch that "higher standard" part...

Collegeboy
08-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Big Ten blows, Big 12 Blows, SEC rules all

Anyways. I would be interested in knowing how many of you who think it is easy to be a student athlete, are actually a student athlete.

Can you imagine what it is like to practice or devote something like 30 hours during the week to your sport, then another about 20 to 25 in school related action and then try to have sort of a social life. It is freaking tough.

As for the Claret situation, I think OSU is pissed that Claret doesn't really care for the college and is just using them (as he said prior to the Championship game last year), and they want to try and get rid of him before he has a chance to ruin their "clean" image.

As for the car situation. Many student athletes are given monthly living stipends to supplement their scholarships. The numbers are set by the NCAA, and I know for the players at UA, the get paid something like 800 a month or so, Oregon gets about the same. So many players use this money to by cars and stuff.

ntn4502
08-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2

O-H

I-O!

and collegeboy SEC...HAHAHA

Lakeview Bulldog
08-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM

I can only hope that the drivel above is in jest.

I mean, I KNOW you're not saying that an athlete on a full ride scholarship, majoring in PE is under "more stress" then the student who's taking a normal course load and working and still having to take out loans.... :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to touch that "higher standard" part...

I play football in highschool. During the season I dont get home until 7:00 at night, So I put in 12 hours between school and football practice, then I have to do any homework that I have. The average student is home by 3:30 at the very latest. Obviously you havent played any varsity sports if you think that athletes aren't held to a higher behavioural standard than regular students. Sure, there are a few teachers that cut me some slack in class because I play football. But there are just as many, or even more teachers that are harder on athletes because they dont think they should get "special treatment". There is nothing wrong with varsity athletes recieving a little special treatment. I work my a** off 10 months out of the year while the "average" student is off watching TV. So no one can tell me that my life is less stressful than a non-athlete. But I can't expect someone who has never dedicated their lives to a varsity sport to understand that.

ratmonkey
08-05-2003, 11:12 PM
there really can be no comparison between high school athletics and college athletics. everyone in high school, if they want to pass, puts in the same amount of time on school work. doesn't have to pay for anything other than lunch. and many have after school activities just like varsity athletes.
now in college you have varsity athletes who go for free, get paid a stipend, which is more than ANY student will make from work study positions, and more often than not are taking majors that require little to no effort outside of the classroom. on the other side of the spectrum is my experience in college right now. i have my 4-10 hours of CLASS time a day, a work study position for 20 hrs a week, i get a little more than the ncaa designated max stipend per month FOR THE SEMESTER, and i have about 30 hours a week of homework to do as well, not counting study time for tests. my course load is 16 credits a semester. basically i get about 6 hours of sleep per night and i also have to find the time to fit meal prep for 6 meals a day and an hour gym time and another half an hour for cardio a couple days a week.
most college students have it a really rough and are barely scraping by for money and free time. where-as the student athlete on scolarship can cut out the job, not allowed to hold one thats what the stipend is for, and also doesn't have nearly as extreme of a homework load as a lot of others do. of course if you're doing the same majors as an athlete you'll have it much easier if you're not participating in any sports program.
oh i also forgot that athletes get an extreme amount of leeway in their test taking and when their homework/papers are due seeing as they may have events or games to attend.

those of you that truely think the student athlete has it harder just because more of them get into academic trouble are deluding themselves.

Collegeboy
08-06-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by ratmonkey
there really can be no comparison between high school athletics and college athletics. everyone in high school, if they want to pass, puts in the same amount of time on school work. doesn't have to pay for anything other than lunch. and many have after school activities just like varsity athletes.
now in college you have varsity athletes who go for free, get paid a stipend, which is more than ANY student will make from work study positions, and more often than not are taking majors that require little to no effort outside of the classroom. on the other side of the spectrum is my experience in college right now. i have my 4-10 hours of CLASS time a day, a work study position for 20 hrs a week, i get a little more than the ncaa designated max stipend per month FOR THE SEMESTER, and i have about 30 hours a week of homework to do as well, not counting study time for tests. my course load is 16 credits a semester. basically i get about 6 hours of sleep per night and i also have to find the time to fit meal prep for 6 meals a day and an hour gym time and another half an hour for cardio a couple days a week.
most college students have it a really rough and are barely scraping by for money and free time. where-as the student athlete on scolarship can cut out the job, not allowed to hold one thats what the stipend is for, and also doesn't have nearly as extreme of a homework load as a lot of others do. of course if you're doing the same majors as an athlete you'll have it much easier if you're not participating in any sports program.
oh i also forgot that athletes get an extreme amount of leeway in their test taking and when their homework/papers are due seeing as they may have events or games to attend.

those of you that truely think the student athlete has it harder just because more of them get into academic trouble are deluding themselves.

I think your numbers are off. If you are taking 16 hours a semester, then how can you have anywhere between 20 to 50 hours of classes a week. It should be around 16.

I guess the football player that was in my Dif Eg class was taking classes that didn't require any studying. Come on man you clearly have a bias towards the college athletes in the sport of football.

As for your work study remark. The stipend they get is apart of their scholarship, so first they have to get a scholarship. And then I look back and that 800 a month is exactly what the school pays me for going to my school on my scholarship.

And the SEC is the best conference is all of college athletics not just in football. And in football, it is the toughest and best conference year in and year out.

ShooterJM
08-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Lakeview Bulldog
I play football in highschool. During the season I dont get home until 7:00 at night, So I put in 12 hours between school and football practice, then I have to do any homework that I have. The average student is home by 3:30 at the very latest. Obviously you havent played any varsity sports if you think that athletes aren't held to a higher behavioural standard than regular students. Sure, there are a few teachers that cut me some slack in class because I play football. But there are just as many, or even more teachers that are harder on athletes because they dont think they should get "special treatment". There is nothing wrong with varsity athletes recieving a little special treatment. I work my a** off 10 months out of the year while the "average" student is off watching TV. So no one can tell me that my life is less stressful than a non-athlete. But I can't expect someone who has never dedicated their lives to a varsity sport to understand that.

Let's see varsity teams? Hmm Swimming, Diving, Tennis, Wrestling, and Football. Also played on club soccer and hockey.

During season I went to practice at 3:30 am, went to school, went to practices and got back home sometime around 8 or 9. Depends if 2-a-days were going on.

That being said, HS is a joke. Higher behavioural standards? HIGHER? As long as I got good grades I could get away with far more then a normal student because, "Hey, aren't you going to states?"

Collegeboy: while there are some atheletes who take real classes I can count on one hand all the football players I've known that have taken diff eq. If you're trying to imply the average football player is a shining example of the human intellect.....

ratmonkey
08-06-2003, 01:22 PM
i've had 1 credit classes that account for anywhere from 4 to 10 hours a week, yes per week. they're called seminars and independent tech concentrations. my school doesn't always go by the credit hour example you know. some classes are 4 hours per week for 3 credits others can go as high as the first example. so yes i can have anywhere between 20-40 hours a week of classes, and the time to get to class, since you can't do anything else should get lumped into that as well.
i didn't say all athletes take cheese courses, i know that there are some that know they're not going to be making a living off of their talents so they take majors that will provide for a good career after college.
other than that one person in your diff eq class how many varsity sports players have you seen in any higher order math or science courses? certainly the percentage isn't exactly representative of the number of people playing intercollegiate sports at your school.

the point of this is that athletes do get special treatment because of their physical talents.

and to collegeboy. of course their stipend is part of their scolarship, my workstudy is a govt. grant. but i still have to pay out of pocket for food, rent, books, and i'll have loans to repay when i'm done. scholaship athletes aren't allowed to hold jobs but are paid more a month than i get paid working my limited hours.
and congrats on your scholarship and being luckier than the rest of us and not haveing to be poor as heck while you're taking those high order math courses with the football team.
we could argue this till we're blue in the face but unless we're going to similar or the same schools and are taking a similar major and have experience with college athletics, i'm pretty good friends with our schools sports trainer so i do get to see and know what athletes go through as well, we're not gonna get anywhere with this internet chest pounding.

Lakeview Bulldog
08-06-2003, 04:31 PM
First off, The vast majority of colleges athletes have no athletic scholarship whatsoever. So they are in the same position as the rest of the student body. So these guys are taking serious courses. On top off their regular assignments and deadlines, they have the added stress of practices, living expenses, and student loans. The misbehaving student athlete is the exception, not the rule. Its just that everytime there is a bad apple it ends up in sports illustrated. But when the starting lineman gets an A on his Bio midterm, no one hears about it. I will apologize about some of my previous comments. I am now going through two-a-days for football and I am not in a very good mood. But I will not take back my previous statement that Student athletes are the most overworked, and overstressed group in the school.

Vendetta
08-07-2003, 08:38 AM
First off, The vast majority of colleges athletes have no athletic scholarship whatsoever

You're right about this, but Clarett is not like most college athletes. He is in college only because the NFL unlike the NBA, NHL, or MLB does not allow drafting players out of highschool.
I highly doubt that he is doing any course work at all.