PDA

View Full Version : has anyone taken any distance learning/online undergraduate courses?

graycie
08-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm trying to figure out my academic plan for next year and was looking into some distance learning courses, so it would hopefully take some pressure off of rushing from work to get to class. So has anyone taken any of these type of courses and how did it work out for you?

Miscue
08-03-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm doing my masters through University of Phoenix right now. I like the format, sure beats going to class. But they make you work at a fast pace... I have to keep up every day.

Overall I like an online class way better... although it has some minor drawbacks.

graycie
08-03-2003, 09:24 PM
University of Phoenix is actually like 20 min away from me, and it seems like a good program to finish out my undergrad but wasn't sure how it exactly worked.

Miscue
08-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Well, it's actually better not to go to their campus. I had one like a 5 minute walk from me, but even my counselor told me not to.

It's a really cool situation. Classes go really quick, and you can graduate fast because it goes quick. Classes are about 6 weeks long, and you are doing stuff all the time throughout those 6 weeks. The workload is reasonable and manageable though. You have to be 23 years old at least... and I think you have to demonstrate that you have 3 years worth of work experience.

It is accredited, and your degree counts the same as any other university.

People have joked to me that I am 'paying for my degree' which is by far not the case. You gotta work. Really, I see no difference with the work load and quality than a regular university. The people in my classes are awesome... bunch of engineers and professionals... and what not... who don't have time to go to a regular university.

The counselors are totally awesome. They walk you through everything. They handle most of your paperwork, except for your initial application. You don't have to sign up for classes, or buy books (well, you just click order... done)... they handle everything.

I highly recommend looking them up, and at least inquiring about their programs.

http://online.phoenix.edu/

kenndogg
08-04-2003, 06:34 AM
I took a couple of classes last semester and it worked out great for me. It really allowed me not to be on campus all day long. Although you still have deadlines to meet, you have the freedom of doing it on your own time which worked out great for me since I work full time. It also depends on how well you do on a certain subject. I took an online math course its one of my worse subject I found out that an online math course for me was a bad idea. If your a procrasinator I would advised against it though.

guysdaman
08-04-2003, 07:07 AM
I have to agree with all of the replies so far...just make sure you keep up with it or you can fall behind very quickly! It does take some dedication and planned out study time! Good Luck!:D

ShooterJM
08-04-2003, 08:35 AM
I took 3 classes online/distance learning. Good stuff. I loved it. I took accounting one, microeconomics and macroeconomics. All worked out very well and I was able to finish them quite a bit quicker then normal.

graycie
08-05-2003, 12:06 AM
sweeet! this is going to be something i'm definitely going to look into more. Thanks guys!:)

Hasty8
08-06-2003, 02:26 AM
My cousin got his masters from U of Phoenix. It's good for MAster'PhD but not so good ofr undergrad. Fairly expensive.

I am currently going for my Bach in MArketing from City University of Washington City U (http://www.cityu.edu)

The callses are 10 weeks long and you usually have one midterm, one final and one major report to do. The weekly assignments are reading and them posting your answers to a specific question on the discussion boards. I decided to go with City U because of price. All classes are 5 credits and each class costs just a few dollars over one thousand.

Bach degrees are 180 credits however. That means that I'll be getting a Bachelors degree for around $36,000 not including book costs. If you live near Bellvue, WA (where the school is located) then you can go to their campus to take your exams. IF not then you have to find a proctor. I use my mothers friends who is the VP of HR for a decent sized company but you can also use other local schools or librarians.

It's not to bad. I have about 40 credits so far and the are all upper tier courses which mean they pertain directly to my degree, they are not the humanities and social sciences "electives" that we also have to take which I like. I plan to get about 150 credits and transfer to NYU. I've already discussed it with NYU and if I have all my upper core requirement classes done with a 3.5 GPA then I will be able to take just one major direct course and two electives and graduate with a NYU degree.

That will make the cost for my degree just a bit under $50,000.

Not bad. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.