PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Baseball Players

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
The top ten of baseball are listed here.

If anyone disagrees post who you think should be included or switched.

1.Babe Ruth
2.Ted Willaims
3.Roger Hornsby
4.Willie Mayes
5.Ty Cobb
6.Lou Gehrig
7.Hounus Wagner
8.Stan Musial
9.Hank Aaron
10.Mickey Mantle

Kevmaster
08-04-2003, 10:48 AM
i guess pitchers dont count?

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 10:57 AM
i guess pitchers dont count? I dont think a player who pitches every 5th day could.

Kevmaster
08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
even though we all know that great pitching beats great hitting?

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 11:22 AM
even though we all know that great pitching beats great hitting? Lol, who do you think should be put on? Cy Young, Walter Johnson.:)
even though we all know that great pitching beats great hitting? True, but still pitchers dont play everyday.

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I think Mickey Mantle should be moved up in the list and Hank Aaron also. Also I think Roger Maris (sp?) should be on that list also.

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 12:24 PM
No Pudge Rodriguez should not be in the top ten IMO. Thats just bad. I think Barry Bonds should be in that list up pretty high actually. He is just the "MAN". I don't like him though but he's a great ball player.

Kevmaster
08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
id put Walt Johnson on there...no doubt...Cy Young would be a close 11-12th

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Roger Maris Nah Roger Maris wasnt good enough.
think Mickey Mantle should be moved up in the list Mick was always hurt tho so he shouldnt be higher. Y'know he came within 18 inches of hitting a ball out of Yankee Stadium. Mickey also has the record for longest hit ball, 565 ft.
Ken Griffey Jr. Rrrrright.;)
I think Barry Bonds should be in that list up pretty high actually. He is just the "MAN". I don't like him though but he's a great ball player. Barry's in the top twenty. Hes good but hes not good enough for the top ten. His career avg. is only .296, not high enough to be up there.
id put Walt Johnson on there...no doubt... Ya but who would he knock out. If I expanded the list to twenty id include him and Cy.

beam
08-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Man, there are so many good players. I think there should be more contemporary players. Your list is all vintage.

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 01:18 PM
List of the best of the current players

1.Barry Bonds
2.A-Rod
3.Albert Pujols
4.Sammy Sosa
5.Dontrelle Willis
6.Roy Halladay
7.Mark Prior
8.Roger Clemens
9.Alfonso Soriano
10.Derek Jeter

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I think Albert Pujols should be number one in the top ten this YEAR . He's got the best bat in the league.

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 01:23 PM
I also think John Smoltz should be in the top ten active players.

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Heres a question, who do u guys think should be MVP?

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 01:32 PM
I also think John Smoltz should be in the top ten active players. I was debating that one, but I decided to add another hitter to even it up.:D
Heres a question, who do u guys think should be MVP? If the Cards make the playoffs, Pujols will.

NL MVP=Pujols
AL MVP= Carlos Beltran

AL Rookie of the Year=Hideki Matsui
NL Rookie of the Year=Dontrelle Willis

bunkermaster10
08-04-2003, 01:35 PM
I also agree with Pujols if Cardinals make it. I also think Gary S. might be a good runner for NL MVP IMO.

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 02:00 PM
I also think Gary S. might be a good runner for NL MVP IMO. Hed be a good pick but the Braves are always gonna make the playoffs so Pujols would have the better chance.

WS=Yanks vs. Giants, Yanks win in 6 games.:)

LittMag
08-04-2003, 02:40 PM
I guess this doesn't qualify someone as one of the 10 best in baseball...

SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST INTENTIONAL WALKS, CAREER: 355
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST HOMERUNS, SINGLE SEASON: 73, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST HR/100 OUTS, SINGLE SEASON: 22.12, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST HR/100 PA, SINGLE SEASON: 10.99, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST HR/100 AB, SINGLE SEASON: 15.34, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST WALKS, SINGLE SEASON: 177, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR HIGHEST SLG, SINGLE SEASON: .863, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR HIGHEST OPS, SINGLE SEASON: 1.379, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR MOST RCAA, SINGLE SEASON: 173, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR HIGHEST TOTAL AVERAGE, SINGLE SEASON: 1.851, 2001
SET MAJOR LEAGUE RECORD FOR HIGHEST BPA, SINGLE SEASON: .907, 2001

LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN RUNS, 1990S: 1091
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN HOMERUNS, 1990S: 361
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN HR/100 OUTS, 1990S: 9.84
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN HR/100 PA, 1990S: 5.87
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN HR/100 AB, 1990S: 7.38
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN RBI, 1990S: 1076
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN WALKS, 1990S: 1146
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN SLG, 1990S: .602
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN OBA, 1990S: .434
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN OPS, 1990S: 1.036
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN RUNS CREATED, 1990S: 1390
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN RCAA, 1990S: 745
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN TOTAL BASES, 1990S: 2944
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN EXTRA BASE HITS, 1990S: 702
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN TOTAL AVERAGE, 1990S: 1.216
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN BPA, 1990S: .698
LED NATIONAL LEAGUE IN INTENTIONAL WALKS, 1990S: 257

73 homeruns and 177 walks in the same season doesn't help, nor does 8 gold gloves or 5 MVPs. Maybe the only player in the 500/500 club doesn't help. He is the most dominating player of his era, if you need proof, just watch to see how pitchers react to him. He may be an ***, but he's one of the best players of all time.

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 03:30 PM
73 homeruns and 177 walks in the same season doesn't help, nor does 8 gold gloves or 5 MVPs. Maybe the only player in the 500/500 club doesn't help. He is the most dominating player of his era, if you need proof, just watch to see how pitchers react to him. He may be an ***, but he's one of the best players of all time. True but there are also other things that keep him out of the top ten. While Bonds is very good thats all he is, very good. Hes not good enough to knock any of those players off.

1.Babe Ruth=cant compare.
2.Ted Willaims=never hit .400
3.Roger Hornsby=same as above
4.Willie Mayes=close but Willie was a complete player
5.Ty Cobb=lifetime .366, over 100 RBIs in the deaball era.
6.Lou Gehrig= career .300, over 100 RBIs, 2nd longest playign streak in baseball.
7.Hounus Wagner=best hitting shortstop, over 100 homers in the deadball era.
8.Stan Musial=career .350ish always hitting 30-40m homers, .702 slugging
9.Hank Aaron=most bases, most career homers, most RBIs
10.Mickey Mantle=always hit .300, 100 RBIs, if not plagued by a bad knee he couldve been the best ever.

Barry is up there no doubt. But when you factor in that, parks were larger, pitching was better, and there was no steroids, Barry just cant keep up.

LittMag
08-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
True but there are also other things that keep him out of the top ten. While Bonds is very good thats all he is, very good. Hes not good enough to knock any of those players off.

Barry is up there no doubt. But when you factor in that, parks were larger, pitching was better, and there was no steroids, Barry just cant keep up.

So basically in order for a player to be one of the 10 best, they have to have an awesome batting average? You simply cannot compare athletes between eras, you just can't, they're playing under different circumstances, there were 12 teams(or something like that) back then, now there are 30. Back then pitchers pitched the entire game, now you have specialty pitchers, during a season, a hitter back then would have seen only a handful of pitchers, now they see hundreds in a season. I'm sorry, you just can't compare the two, you can keep going back and forth. When you look at how dominating Barry is now, you have to consider him one of the top 10.

As for the steriods issue. Steriods didn't help Bonds win 8 gold gloves, 5 MVPs, hit 647 home runs. Steriods doesn't cause pitchers to walk pitchers to walk Bonds this season 1 out of 4 times at bat. 1 out of 4! Steriods doesn't allow Bonds to reach base safely 15 consecutive time in a row.

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Like I said Barry's good, but he still cant compare to the guys on the top ten. Hes a good player, definetly in the top 20, but hes still not good enough.
Steriods didn't help Bonds win 8 gold gloves, 5 MVPs, hit 647 home runs. True but is a player who probly uses them worthy of being in the top ten?

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Hehe off topic but I thought I just put down how the playoffs will work out.

AL
Mariners over White Sox
Yankees over As
Yankees over Mariners

NL
Braves over Cardinals
Giants over Phillies
Giants over Braves

WS
Yanks over Giants in 6 games

Whatdya guys think about my prediction? Any thing need to be changed?

EsPo
08-04-2003, 08:46 PM
4.Sammy Sosa
[/B]
NEVER... cheaters should die (in baseball anwyay)...

Kevmaster
08-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Bonds is NOT one of the top 10 players of all time.

sure, hes been pretty amazing and will be a hall of famer first try...but hes not one of the 10 best ever. You cant compare his stats hes attained in the past 10 years to what it was before. Look at ERAs from the 20s and 30s and the 90s. Theres a full point difference. Look at home runs per game from then and now...now is MUCH bigger. Hitters are All stronger and bigger and pitchers have been minimized. MLB wants a marketable game...which means home runs.

as i said, barry is a GREAT player, prolly one of best players in the game today (although ARod would give him a run for his money and Roger Clemens has attained just as much as Barry if not more. Greg Maddux is right there beside Clemins.). However, Clemens and Maddux arn't close to the top 10...and barry wouldnt be ranked too far ahead of those two

superdesk2007
08-04-2003, 08:47 PM
No particular order

Roberto Clemente
Cal Ripkin
Satchel Paige
Theres more I just can't remember them.

Johnny_Reb
08-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Roberto Clemente He was good but his career was ended too soon to be considered to be one of the best.

Cal Ripkin Good but not top ten.
Satchel Paige Also Good but he didnt have a long MLB career, had he not spent most of his career in the Negro Leagues he could easily be the best pitcher of all time.

paintbattler
08-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
List of the best of the current players
1.Barry Bonds
2.A-Rod
3.Albert Pujols
4.Sammy Sosa
5.Dontrelle Willis
6.Roy Halladay
7.Mark Prior
8.Roger Clemens
9.Alfonso Soriano
10.Derek Jeter
take willis and prior off because they have only had one good year, and put sheffield, and roger clemens on that

bunkermaster10
08-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by paintbattler

take willis and prior off because they have only had one good year, and put sheffield, and roger clemens on that

I argee with sheffield and maybe with roger clemens, but if clemens is in there then Smoltz should be in there.

Johnny_Reb
08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Ok, Ill put in the changes:

1.Barry Bonds
2.A-Rod
3.Albert Pujols
4.Sammy Sosa
5.Gary Sheffield
6.Roy Halladay
7.hmmmm eitheir Riveria or Smoltz
8.Roger Clemens
9.Alfonso Soriano
10.Derek Jeter

TigerMan
08-05-2003, 12:28 PM
My top 10 of all time:

1)Babe Ruth
2)Jackie Robinson
3)Hank Aaron
4)Ted Williams
5)Willie Mays
6)Pete Rose
7)Cy Young
8)Lou Gehrig
9)Mickey Mantle
10)Barry Bonds

Top 10 Current (over their careers):
1)Barry Bonds
2)Roger Clemens
3)Greg Maddux
4)Sammy Sosa
5)Randy Johnson
6)Ken Griffey, Jr. (pre injury days)
7)Rafael Palmeiro (greatest player that goes unknown)
8)Tom Glavine
9)Alex Rodriguez
10)Roberto Alomar

Johnny_Reb
08-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Jackie Robinson He was a good player but hes not top ten calibre.

Pete Rose A great player but hes just not good enough to be in the top ten. He tarnished his legacy by betting on baseball so he cant go to the HOF. Hes the all time hit leader, but I just dont think hes as good as Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, and Roger Hornsby.

Still accurate tho and I cant really argue about your top ten current players.

TigerMan
08-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Robinson I put on there because of what he did and the time he did it. He broke the color barrier, and was an instant contributor. He did more than just stats, and under conditions no other player has seen. And he was still a great ballplayer. He's also the only player to ever have his number retired for the entire league.

Rose I put on there because regardless of what he did off the field, you can't deny what he did on the field. Players like Aaron and Ruth specialized with homers, Rose specialized with hits.

Dryden
08-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Mantle isn't even in the Top 15, and to flat out deny modern players, like Barry Bonds or Rickey Henderson, is a major oversight. To place Mantle in the Top Ten because he could have been greater-than-great if he'd stayed healthy, but then to claim Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't belong because of his run of bad luck in the past three years is silly. A half-season of Ken Griffey Jr's is still better than most full-time major-leaguers' abilities with a bat or a glove. That said, neither Mantle or Griffey make my list. You want to make the cut? Stay healthy.

My top ten (all time):

1. Babe Ruth
2. Willie Mays
3. Nap Lajoie
4. Barry Bonds
5. Ty Cobb
6. Walter Johnson
7. Hank Aaron
8. Ted Williams
9. Rogers Hornsby
10. Rickey Henderson

As for Pete Rose being top ten, as Rose himself once said, "I may have the most hits, but I also have the most at-bats and strikeouts too."

Current players? I think you don't need to look any further than all the current players who would be "a lock" for the Hall of Fame should their careers end today. I'll admit, I've caught Dontrelle-fever myself, but let him pitch twenty games first before we rush to conclusions. Jeter (can you say overrated?) and Soriano haven't been around long enough, neither has A-Rod or Pujols.

My top ten (active players):

1. Barry Bonds
2. Rickey Henderson
3. Roger Clemens
4. Ken Griffey Jr.
5. Randy Johnson
6. Mike Piazza
7. Jeff Bagwell
8. Edgar Martinez
9. Craig Biggio
10. Roberto Alomar

Runners-up: Sammy Sosa, Ivan Rodriguez, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Fred McGriff, Frank Thomas, Rafael Palmeiro

TigerMan
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Dryden
Mantle isn't even in the Top 15, and to flat out deny modern players, like Barry Bonds or Rickey Henderson, is a
Current players? I think you don't need to look any further than all the current players who would be "a lock" for the Hall of Fame should their careers end today. I'll admit, I've caught Dontrelle-fever myself, but let him pitch twenty games first before we rush to conclusions. Jeter (can you say overrated?) and Soriano haven't been around long enough, neither has A-Rod or Pujols.

My top ten (active players):

1. Barry Bonds
2. Rickey Henderson
3. Roger Clemens
4. Ken Griffey Jr.
5. Randy Johnson
6. Mike Piazza
7. Jeff Bagwell
8. Edgar Martinez
9. Craig Biggio
10. Roberto Alomar

Runners-up: Sammy Sosa, Ivan Rodriguez, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Fred McGriff, Frank Thomas, Rafael Palmeiro

Many of your runner ups are a lot better then some of your current top 10. Bagwell and Martinez are good players, but Martinez is limited to just batting and Bagwell still needs a few more years before being a lock for the Hall. Biggio, well he's just good, not great. Palmeiro's got over 500 HR's, so he should get in (I'm tired of everyone just looking at his number of "All Star" appearances, he's been as consitent as anyone can be). Thomas has among the highest number of walks and slugging % all time. Right now, I think the only active players that are first ballot shoe ins for the Hall are:

-Bonds
-Henderson (if he ever retires)
-Clemens
-Maddux (if he plays 3 more seasons)

Sosa would've, and still might be a first ballot, but the corked bat definately didn't help. Alomar has been hurt by the past 2 seasons numbers, and Griffey, well it's just a shame what has happened to him. We could've been watching two players at the same time chasing Aaron's record.

Johnny_Reb
08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Jeter (can you say overrated?) and Soriano I wouldnt say that jeter's overated, hes popular but not overated. Hes also a career .318 hitter and has one of the best avg's in the AL at the moment. But the reason he made the list is beacause of his leadership and his ability to play well in October. Hes one of the best clutch hitters in baseball.

As for Soriano, his career may be short but hell be on of the best. In his first year he wouldve gotten Rookie of the Year if it wasnt for ichiro. In his second, he was one homer shy of 40-40. This year he was an all star, and while he may be in a slump hes still one of the most feared hitters at the plate.
place Mantle in the Top Ten because he could have been greater-than-great if he'd stayed healthy, but then to claim Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't belong because of his run of bad luck in the past three years is Your forgetting Mickey also had over 500 homers, including the longest ever, 565 ft. He always had great avg. and 120 RBIs.
Rickey Henderson One of the most underrated players in baseball, but does he deserve to be in the top ten?No. Stan Musial was FAR better as was Mickey and Joe D. Craig Biggio and Bagwell over Palmeiro and A-Rod? looks like someones an astros fan.;)

paintbattler
08-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Don't forget about the Big-Unit in his prime days and the present days. He's got a rocket arm.

Dryden
08-07-2003, 12:12 AM
No, I'm not an Astros fan, I just happen to think both Biggio and Bagwell are two of the most undervalued players in the game today. What makes the pair unique is how much of their stats are dependant upon one another - Biggio has to get on base for Bagwell to drive him in - a Run for Biggio, an RBI for Bagwell. Both were hampered by injuries at about the same time, Biggio a bum knee, Bagwell an arthritic shoulder, but that does not discredit what either did in their first twelve healthy seasons, nor should they be penalized for playing in Houston where virtually no one north of the Mason-Dixon line can see them regularly.

Biggio had been a spectacular second baseman, and he has the Gold Gloves to prove it, despite the fact he came up as a catcher - he won the Silver Slugger award too in his rookie season as a backstop. He has accumulated some of the most bizarre stats, such as the '98 season with 50 doubles, 50 steals and 200 hits, which has never been done before or since, too bad for him his accomplishment was dwarfed by a couple of bozos named Sosa and McGwire. Of course, he also has the dubious honor of placing at #4 on the all time hit-by-pitch list, which even resulted in rules changes regarding clothing fit and "body armor." Up until 2000, he was durable (despite being plunked 200+ times), dependable, and for the entire last half of the 90s the best all-around second baseman in the NL.

Bagwell already has impressive numbers, and if he plays 5 more years (until he's 40), it becomes a no-brainer. Keep in mind, he wouldn't even have to have a single great season, just maintain an average for what he's done up to today. He could reach 2000 runs, 3000 hits, 500 doubles, 550 home runs, 2000 rbi and a career .300+ avg, .400+ obp, .500+ slugging. Bagwell also had six consecutive seasons of 100 runs, 100 rbi, 100 walks, and 30 home runs. He missed adding a seventh season in the stretch by only 6 runs and 2 rbi. Bagwell also owns the distinction of being the best player not named Babe Ruth the Red Sox have ever traded (for Larry Andersen?!) Unfortunately, Bagwell has stated that 2006 will likely be his last season, unless the Astros option him for 2007.

As go Biggio and Bagwell, so go the Astros.

Yeah, the bottom four of my "active" list are interchangeable with the handful I listed as runners-up. You can easily make convincing arguments for Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas. I chose Biggio, Bagwell, Martinez, and Alomar to add some infielders to the list (Martinez gets credit at both first and third), and I think they're all deserving. Time will tell.

Dryden
08-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Heh heh

After posting the above, I turn and catch the Astros highlights on SportsCenter. Biggio gets plunked, takes first, Bagwell hits a homer - two more RBI. :)

LOL

AFRaven
08-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey, Johnny_Red, are you the same dummy that thought that a shell casing was a "stray bullet"? Click here to find out: http://www.bf42.com/index.php?site=potd&date=2003/08/06

Johnny_Reb
08-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey, Johnny_Red, are you the same dummy that thought that a shell casing was a "stray bullet"? Click here to find out: http://www.bf42.com/index.php?site=potd&date=2003/08/06 Na thats a different one.;)