PDA

View Full Version : Velocity spikes in rain

Lohman446
08-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok, the other day I was playing with my mag (X valve, #2 carrier in LX, 850 PSI preset tank) and it started raining. I walked back from the woods with my marker barrel pointed down (valve up) and went to chrono it in the down time (it was raining at the chrono station). My velocity is normally very consistent (+/- 5). It was not at all, jumping all over a 50 FPS speed zone... my thoughts on this is that I likely got rain into the valve (considering I immediatly dissassembled, inspected, and oiled it). After a good cleaning and no more rain it chronoed as consitantly as normal. Is it possible for rain to cause this problem if it sneaks into the valve (is it even possible)... if not what could it be? If it is what can I do to prevent it? (I'm thinking a piece of black tape over the hole)

Sputnik
08-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Doesn't seem right. One of the recommended cleaning methods is to put the gassed up marker in a bucket/tub of water.

Do you think water got in things while it wasn't gassed up?

I would wonder if water got into the barrel and the velocity flux was caused as the ball got stuck on water in the barrel, etc.

??

Lohman446
08-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Ot was gassed up - good point on cleaning, and it does not sound right.. it almost had to be barrel related... odd

Kevmaster
08-05-2003, 10:10 AM
rain and moisture in the air causes paintballs to swell...

and to quote budd orr "90% of velocity fluctuations are due to a bad paint to barrel match"....

add those two together and with fluctuating paint sizes, you get fluctuating velocity.

thats one explanation