PDA

View Full Version : airline

QUINCYMASSGUY
08-05-2003, 11:27 PM
OK, for the tinkerers out there: if I wanted to drill into metal like a ULE rail and modify it so a stainless steel air line could literally be screwed into the rail and loctited in place with no risk of leaking or it blowing right out, how can I do that? Do I need a special milling tool?

aut911
08-06-2003, 12:12 AM
if you had a classic RT you probably could do it by re routing the air through the gas through into an air passegway through the rail and into the banjo bolt. I dont think this would take any out of the ordinary tools, just alot of patience

aut

QUINCYMASSGUY
08-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'm talking a minimag/classic rail. It's more a question of how to modify a certain type of material. Making the hole is easy, a drill, but if there is a specific way to cut it or bond a piece in there with the threads to screw in an airline, that's what I'm curious about. It's a toughie.

mark_426
08-06-2003, 10:53 PM
you need a 1/8th NPT tap and some loctite or pipe dope so it doesnt leak. where are you taking the gas from the rail?

QUINCYMASSGUY
08-06-2003, 11:38 PM
I had two ideas brewing, but one was to run the airline right down through the rail and come out closer to the input for the xvalve. But most likely this would be too large for the rail.

My second idea involves a little more work and I'm just bouncing ideas around right now because a couple design flaws exist. But it would involve the modifying I am discussing. You know the little airlines that come out of the automags 3-way, reg, etc? I want to be able to connect those to the front of the rail and run a steel pipe just large enough for a sear pin to slide into. I'm not going to start explain why, but it does relate to improving the trigger pull. I'll explain later if it looks like it could work out.

I know you can get little screw-in parts to connect the airline to them and that is what I would want to screw into the airline. It's hard to explain. But what would the exact process I would go through to drill the hole and thread it for the threads in the part I'd be screwing in? I would use loctite once it's done. My idea would work most likely if that stupid screw didn't connect the body and rail to the trigger frame. And I'm not modifying it until I really map out my idea, but knowing that I can drill the rail and thread it so a thin, straight airline can go from the front of the rail to just in front of the trigger and be screwed and loctited in so an airline can connect to it is neccessary.

Can you help me out mark_426 with exactly what needs to be done to do this and problems you see arising? Thanks!

mark_426
08-07-2003, 10:01 PM
my aim is markfootball49 .... so you are taking an airline to the front of the rail, drilling the rail out, and putting a micro/macro line through it, and then taking it out the side of the back to the vavle? if you use a hose inside, just as long as you dont catch the holes it seems like it would work. maybe if you have a pump or omega rail it would be easier. i have to get on my other computer and mess around on autocad to see what it looks like.

QUINCYMASSGUY
08-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Front of the rail or, even better, find a way to utilize the hole the screw goes through to connect the vertical adapter so that it can flow right into the rail, down the rail, and just connect at the back of the rail to the valve. The issue is that damn trigger frame screw and more importantly, the sear. But it would be nice (and look better) to get that line out of the way of my hand because I hate trying to shoot lefty with it crossing over where my hand would go. I have it set up running to the bottom of the grip then an upward arced steel cable to the valve. A little ugly but tolerable.

My other idea would involve the airline running just from the front of the rail to the space in front of the sear but as I said it would need to be an airline with a diameter enough for a sear pin to fit into. Interesting thought brewing but it might not be feasible.

mark_426
08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
i had the same problems and just bought a 3 (i think) in ss hose, a quick disconnect, and 2 90* elbows, and the hose is right against the body.

ill get a pic when i get back on my computer, and i will also get on cad and see what i can do.

good luck,

mark_426
08-08-2003, 01:20 PM
here is the best pic I have of it...