PDA

View Full Version : PsychoBaller on Paintball; A Serious Note.....

PsychoBaller
08-06-2003, 01:30 AM
I've decided to post on the topics of forseen problems, and why sometimes nothing can be done.

In a general overview;
In light of the recent events surrounding BlackCell and PBX splitting, the team has recently been splitting at the corners, which give rise to moral dilemmas; side with friends over others, having to end longstanding trusts and otherwise... and overall, ending a really fun time.

I HATE PAINTBALL POLITICS! I got into paintball back in 95' for the thrill and andrenalin rush. I stayed out of the Tourny industry for as long as possible (from 95' till 01') in order to avoid such complications. After months training and playing with a select group of likeminded Paintballers, I've noticed that paintball has become one of the most stressful aspects in my life, rather than being one of the most joyous. I just wanted to be on the field and play, not caring what the particulars were, half the time not knowing who I was playing as long as I was at least... playing to win and have a good time if anything.

Due to the events surrounding my Team, Teammates and Sponsors. I am putting myself on a Paintball Playing Hiatus until further notice.

~the "very regretful for having to do this" baller

Clare
08-06-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Chris. You're shiney new warp won't get put to use now!

graycie
08-06-2003, 01:44 AM
You'll be back eventually. I've pretty much settled into paintball retirement for now but I still keep up with some of the news, forums and whats going on in the industry. Above all you'll still talk to your pb friends every now and then even if you aren't playing anymore.

I've learned that politics and drama can exist in pretty much any situation of life. I just prefer to keep it to what I watch on TV, so good for you for stepping up and saying you don't need the BS anymore.

LaW
08-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Honestly regardless of paintball politics you would have taken a break sooner or later. Its the way I have always been and I know EXACTLy where your coming from. This happens in a lot of sports when you start to get more involved with the sport (teams, tournaments)... In the past 8 years of playing I have taken 2 such breaks and try to take off at least 3 months each year (this summer I took off before shatnerball)... It just helps a lot! On your wallet and on your well being. See ya in a few months or probably more hehe

PsychoBaller
08-06-2003, 01:51 AM
More clearly.... I will still be playing for Rutgers come this fall semester. Collegiate play is where its at.....

For now, I'd like to take a break while the storm is up....

AGD
08-06-2003, 01:53 AM
try doing it for a living.....

AGD

graycie
08-06-2003, 01:54 AM
I tried to dampen the burn out by focusing on playing ONLY on one team. It didn't work, it just showed me how much I just need to walk away from playing.

LaW
08-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

so tom, tell us how you really feel :) just go on and let it all out! LOL..... Wow I could only imagine.

graycie
08-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

You go digging for old stuff every year as a breather at least.

ZAust
08-06-2003, 02:08 AM
if youre taking a break, you could always send your sfl to me. i could keep it good company...

LaW
08-06-2003, 02:13 AM
good call, I need a backup sfl for shatnerball.... you know just incase my sfl goes down :p

Mango
08-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Chris: Just play for fun man. Or just come to AO meets and act like you know what your doing like me! Works like a charm!! :D

wyn1370
08-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
Chris: Just play for fun man. Or just come to AO meets and act like you know what your doing like me! Works like a charm!! :D
that's what I do
paintball should be fun, if it's not, then it's no longer worth it
hell half the time I don't even play, I just go to hang out with everybody

jdev
08-06-2003, 06:57 AM
chris,

at this point, you are like the little lucky charms leprechaun.. except you have an SFL that lightsabers peoples heads off.. :p

are we soon to hear you say:

"they always after me SFL emag"

in a little irish-ish leprechaun voice?

enjoy the break from things.. go out and live it up.

Thordic
08-06-2003, 07:28 AM
This sounds familiar :)

Good luck Chris, it'll come back around full circle eventually.

Albinonewt
08-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by PsychoBaller
More clearly.... I will still be playing for Rutgers come this fall semester. Collegiate play is where its at.....

For now, I'd like to take a break while the storm is up....

Good luck with that!

Riotz
08-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Well Chris, I'm sorry that you feel that way. Trust me, I feel the same way. I've been dealing with all of this for 8 months now. I'm VERY sick of the politics. That's why I had to decide what I did.

It was for the best of the team. It was for the best of the players. And it was the best for myself so I can get back into the game which I love.

If you want to talk, I'll be available. But I always try to make things better for the team and for my guys.

- Jeff

JEDI
08-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Chris, you're a cool dude- the little I've gotten to know about you- but none the less you'll be missed. Good luck man. I know how you feel. Keep in touch.

Adam

ntn4502
08-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear Chris, hope you go back sometime

Vendetta
08-06-2003, 09:00 AM
The thing to do is lose the electro, buy a pumpgun and camos and hit the woods. Nothing good be better.:D

Blennidae
08-06-2003, 10:40 AM
I have to agree with Mango and Wyn, its more about having fun.

Tournaments may drive the technology, but recball keeps paintball alive. For every hardcore tourny player with the high dollar set up, there is probably 10 guys with affordable semi's. You know who is having more FUN and who is having more stress.

Evil Bob
08-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Psycho, alot of us have been to the same cross roads you're at now, some continue on in misery, some leave the sport entirely, some leave and return later, and the rest turn to another type of play.

Basicly, you need to play because you "want to", not because you "have to". The fun will return when you play on your own terms and not on someone else's.

I highly recommend giving scenario and big gamess a try, they're alot of fun.

-Evil Bob

Kevmaster
08-06-2003, 11:50 AM
sorry to hear it psycho...

i too quit my team so to speak, although I blamed it on going to college, I had had enough of it and it was time to move on. I'll get back into PB sooner or later...but for now, AO and BEOG will keep my paintball habits alive

JEDI
08-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Take up shuffle board. I hear there's some real competition there... I mean... Old people... Come On!! :D

DiRTyBuNNy
08-06-2003, 11:58 AM
forget being on a team...be a paintball mercernary..sell yourself to the highest bidder...Do I hear two dollars...two dollars here...how about three dollars..come on..

Meph
08-06-2003, 12:00 PM
You'll be back!

They all float down here! Mwahaha.

graycie
08-06-2003, 12:02 PM
DiRTyBuNNy => professional paintball groupie :cool:

If it can work for him, it can possibly work for you jah?

Blazingace
08-06-2003, 12:12 PM
I go camping for 3 days and look what happens. The Merde hits the fan. GRRRR. I think that 'Baller is right and I hate the politics. I too am taking a break for the BS that is tourney ball. I am gonna take my Imp and my E-mag and play a little rec ball. I had the most fun playing Mega Meet and IAO with the team and not worrying about the BS. If you want to get together and just play some ball let me know. If it is OK I would like to come up and play with the Rutgers guys too, if you don't mind.

magman007
08-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Chris and Joel, i am very sorry to see you guys leaving like this. I wish you guys the best of luck guys. Make sure you still come to the Ao meets and stuff, i mean, you guys were great friends etc. I hope to see you guys at shatnerball!

1stdeadeye
08-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Admit it Balla! It was the turtle! I saw how scared you were when he bunkered you.;)

Don't worry the shock will wear off eventually.

Oh yeah, welcome to the other 99% of paintballers!:p Come down and play with Mango and I sometimes. We bunker professional athletes for fun!:D

Seriously though, Good Luck!!!

GatoLoco
08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I hope the political conflict ends over the terms that paintball should be fun, not a (power, money, physical what have you) struggle. I realise that it is usually never that easy, however I wish the best to everyone involved in the stress.

ADDED: When I met all of you, you were really nice and helpful to me, and I hope that somehow you guys work something out. You deserve it.

hitech
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
I’m sorry to hear that. But I can smell what you are stepping in. ;) I also hate paintball politics. Same thing happened to me. I don’t have any real good words of wisdom. There is nothing like tournament paintball. I’ve settled into rec ball and enjoy it. I don’t compare it to tournament ball. I just enjoy it for what it is. The bad news is that it took many, many years to accomplish this. Maybe try something significantly different. Big games or scenario games. I’m trying my first scenario game this Sunday. Maybe play on a team that needs help. If you love to play, then you should play. I never stopped (slowed to a few times a year, but never stopped) and I’m glad I kept playing. :D

hitech
08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Evil Bob
I highly recommend giving scenario and big gamess a try, they're alot of fun.

Hey, I'm going to one at Venture Games on Sunday, Aug. 10. It might be fun! Check it out. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96239)

TigerMan
08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
If tournament paintball has made you that way, then just go back to when you were having fun and playing rec. I've only played 1 tournament, it was fun. But I have a lot of fun just playing rec. Do what you enjoy, and stick to it if other things don't work the way you want. The second it's not fun anymore, it's no longer a game, it's a chore.

GT
08-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Did you actually think that a tourney is where the game is won?

DiRTyBuNNy
08-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by graycie
DiRTyBuNNy => professional paintball groupie :cool:

If it can work for him, it can possibly work for you jah?

Darn skippy, Graycie...you know me...where ever the action is I'll be there..except WC...thank the government for that one...

PsychoBaller
08-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I chose this path of rather not taking sides, and not play with anyone, than choose sides, and end up burning bridges between past teammates and sponsors.

In anycase... I'm gonna regroup as my Jr. year of College rolls around this fall. Full attention will be geared up towards playing for Rutgers again.

I was actually very big on the Scenario Scene before I started Tourny ball. Still.... College Tourny Ball is where its at. I suggest anyone still in college join up, or start a school team.

beefstew
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
I agree, and after the end of the season i will also be quiting tournament paintball. Between team finances, rifts between sponsors and team members, suppliers late deliverys, and everyone *****ing at me all the time, i think a break would be good. In tourny ball (specially at high levels) Tentions run high, games matter, and losing hurts.