PDA

View Full Version : New to Automags

AutoNewb
08-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I used to play alot with a 98 custom, until it got stolen. Today I payed and decided to go to the local Pball store and get a new custom or look at others. Well when I came in some 2 kids walk in with a 68 automag powerfeed, with a viewloader 12 volt revolution, and a kapp drop zone drop forward.The only thing wrong with it was the valve piece was missing off the drop forward. anyways for all this i payed $40, cause the guy behind the counter offered him 35 and i said 40 and the kid said deal. i dont know why he was so eager to sell but before i paid i had the store check it out and i shot it at 382 fps and it was running nice.i took of the drop forward since the valve piece was missing and have a regular hookup on there until i can get the piece for the drop.im pretty sure the barrell isnt stock because having a VL 12v revo on a automag with a stock barrell doesnt seem normal. plus this barrell doesnt look stock but it has no marking to identify it really. all in all i think i got a great deal and was just wondering what are some good investment upgrades i can do?

cphilip
08-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Welcome to AO!

I am certain I did not understand anything you said at all.

"Valve Piece"? No such thing on the forgrip of a mag...You mean fitting on a gas through? Revy's are common on Automags. And highly recomended. And stock barrels do not have markings but other barrels may not either...

So I not sure how to help you but to tell you to do some searching here on AO and learn some more.

Automag for 40 bucks? YOU STOLE IT!!! :D Good deal! You will learn more about them in the future and we can help you here on AO

... and again.. welcome to the Forums.

AutoNewb
08-08-2003, 09:42 PM
i know my entry made me sound complety moronic but im not a pball pro, i dont know nothing at all about automags either but i hope AO can help me learn more about my gun before i get back out on the field

Miscue
08-08-2003, 09:43 PM
You've come to the right place!

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
08-08-2003, 11:02 PM
First thing I would get is a Intelliframe for it.

AutoNewb
08-08-2003, 11:21 PM
thanks, thats what someone told me, with my next paycheck i'll probably get an Intelliframe and im debating on what barrel to get, i fixed the drop forward nothing was wrong with it.

personman
08-08-2003, 11:23 PM
My reccomendations for barrels, are either a lapco bigshot, or a J&J edge kit if you want a multiple bore barrel.
Make sure you dont want a ULE body for that thang before you order a barrel, because they use cocker threads.

kosmo
08-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Jeez, with the way he is talking, hes a rec ball player, relatively new to anything above the level of cheap blowbacks. And youre all trying to talk him into buying new grip frames, barrel systems and a ULE body? My advice for your first purchase would be some paint. Play with the thing before you go messing with it, it may suit you just fine.

Army
08-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Wise words from the kosmo's:)

Phil, he means the on/off knob on the D/F was missing, not any foregrip.

...and speaking of a "steal", I'd call AGD to see if this gun was registered, and reported stolen. $35 for any gun, except a Talon, raises my "UH-OH" radar.

gamarada717
08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Well, I play mainly rec ball, but I'm looking into ULE. I hate powerfeed. I HATE IT. I suggest to get a setup that is comfortable with a nice barrel. Also, make sure that you nkwo your gun inside and out. I mean, you feel confident about every piece of it. The first time I played with my rt pro, I had just gone up from a spyder. I was actually afraid to take my gun apart, so I didn't put it to full use in those games that day, because I was afraid I would break it. Now I can take everything apart, and put it all back together. I play so much better.

FreakBaller12
08-09-2003, 11:38 AM
soem stuff to look at upgrades...
xvalve: feels liek a whoel new gun
level 10: eliminates 99.9% of chopping(included in xalve)
ule body: reduces weight coems in very nice colors, cocker threaded for barrels and angel detents and feed necks.
ult: reduces trigger pull dramatically
warp: reduces player profile. gives you crazy angles to shoot from
intelliframe: can make ur revy or warp agitate or load on every trigger pull

that's all i can think otf for now, any1 else feel free to touchup my definitions o add on the list

Enemy
08-09-2003, 07:48 PM
ok first things first i learned this with my brothers gun... check the valve make sure you can read 68 classic my brother got stuck with an old rental and the agd tech said that the power tubes are shorter so i have his lvl 10. next if your planing on keeping the valve i would take it apart and replace what ever parts look worn, put thats just me,, also it is not recommended for classic valves and wont work in retros. Um as far as upgrades i would definetly shy away from elctronic trigger conversions. nothing but trouble and chops. Um thats Pretty much it best thing to do is plan out what you want to do and buy from there.

personman
08-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by kosmo
hes a rec ball player, relatively new to anything above the level of cheap blowbacks. And youre all trying to talk him into buying new grip frames, barrel systems and a ULE body? My advice for your first purchase would be some paint. Play with the thing before you go messing with it, it may suit you just fine.
uh, im a rec ball player and look at my gun(s)?

coolcatpete
08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
welcome

AutoNewb
08-09-2003, 10:05 PM
First off I want to tank everyone who have gave me input. The best advice and I took it was Kosmo, I went and played around with it for QUITE sometime today. Got everything tuned how I want to,I need to find an On/Off piece for this valve or find another valve to fit the Drop Zone,I deffinently like this drop though,despite what many people have said about it being too much of a drop. For now the only thing I think really need upgraded is the barrel, for accuracy purposes, and I'd like a longer barrel. What do I look for in barrel description or where do I look for barrel thats actually fit automags,or where can I find the piece so I can used cocker threaded barrels? Than after that as I play with it more and more, when I notice something I'm wanting more of, or improved skill with, I'll just find what upgrade will do the trick and get it.Thats all for now, Thanks again for all the tips so far, and the welcomes.

FalconGuy016
08-09-2003, 10:39 PM
$40...

personman
08-09-2003, 10:56 PM
An upgrade reccomended by many, is the ULE body. I like it because its all alluminum, and is much lighter compared to the standard body. It is cocker threaded.
http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=393&CATID=23
Doc Nickel makes a mag to cocker barrel adapter also
http://www.docsmachine.com/gear/maggit.html

If you want a mag barrel I would check the used section, you can get nice barrels for cheep there, I reccomend looking around in there or on ebay or something for a lapco bigshot.

I know your probally not looking to spend an overwhelming amount of money, but Level 10 is a very good investment. It lowers the kick the gun makes, because it is a much lighter bolt. It reduces blowback as well, but the main selling point of this, is that you can adjust it so much, it will stop on say your tounge, or a rolled up dollar bill. This means you get next to no chops (or atleast I havent got one in the full year that ive been using LX on all 3 mags ive owned in that period (classic, e-mag, and retro)
LX is probally one of the most worthwhile upgrades you will ever purchase.

GT
08-09-2003, 11:06 PM
if you want check my sig. How to build a mag good pic in there with labeled parts.

jb