PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Bill Question.

Cliffio
08-09-2003, 05:53 PM
ok, this is pretty odd

yesterday i cashed my paycheck at my local bank, and when i got money back one of the $1 seemed odd, looking at it more closley i noticed that it wasnt george washington. Instead it is santa claus. hes got a big beard and a shiney nose, and down at the bottom where it usually says "george washington" it does say "santa claus"

i took it to best buy (i work there) and tried it with one of those counterfit pens and it isnt counterfit, or at least not according to the pen.

the date of the bill is 1988 A.

i called my dad today, just because he has some old money that i guess is collectors items, he didnt think that the mint would do something like this, but if they didnt where did this come from?

a friend seems to think that they did a series of dollars with other characters, because we think one of our old high school teachers has one with the 3 stooges on it, but we arent sure.

whats the deal with this?

anyone else ever see one?

i can get pics but not at the moment.

thanks
Cliff

edit- i just read through this and it sounds like im freakin crazy, but im not:)

cris8762
08-09-2003, 06:04 PM
pics! we need pics ! i find this hard to believe, it's got to be some kind of fake or replica, the mint wouldn't take the time to make another design for the dollar bill to print

magman007
08-09-2003, 06:17 PM
so its printed on the real paper? with the correct dyes? thats how the pen works i had thought, i thought they reacted with an acid in the dye etc....

Jack_Dubious
08-09-2003, 06:23 PM
does it look like this..

http://www.bolind.com/products/573.shtml

edweird
08-09-2003, 06:48 PM
If you closley inspect the photo region you will see that the picture is glued on.... they were marketed as gifts several years back

but the mint never actually printed bills with anything but what we are used to seeing. (as per my friend who is huge into coins and other worldy monitary notes)

Cliffio
08-09-2003, 07:51 PM
ah ha, your right it is glued on, well dont i feel stupid, i didnt even notice the glue. but i picked it up and it felt weird in the middle

yes that is a picture of what i have, altho why someone would buy it for like 8 bucks and then actually use it is beyond me.

anyways, thanks for solving this mystery

for anyone who now thinks im a total moron, whoever did this took way too much time, because the picture is cut out perfectly.

thanks

Cliff

SpongeBobSquarePants
08-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Well that one mite be a real one but I know at one of the sport stores in our mall you can get 20's with numerous people on them. Pretty neat in my opinion

Star_Base_CGI
08-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Yes the government prints $1 bills with Santa sometimes. I got one and someone stole it. SO its gone.

I still have a 1 ounce Silver Bullion Piece which is real money but not printed by the US mint In Phily...

No one would ever part with a Santa Dollar so chances are yours got stolen and spent like mine. Hold on to it.