PDA

View Full Version : RapidFire AKA "Runaway" Wear

Z-man
08-11-2003, 09:55 PM
not sure why it's called "runaway" since all you have to do is finish the trigger pull or let go and it stops, but that is not main question.

I have been hearing this often. Rapidfiring your Mag (that has the RT valve) is an BAD thing (specifically BAD). I have been running 900-950 input on both my 6 year old RT AND my new RT Pro. I don't play with it like this all the time but I make use of it from time to time (back off Steelrat ;)

Are you suggesting that if I fired 100 rounds pulling the trigger and then did another 100 rounds rapidfiring the gun that somehow those second 100 rounds wore away something more than the first 100 rounds did?

That doesn't sound logical to me. I can see that if one rapidfired all day long, he would cycle the gun much more than if he pulled the trigger each time and thus more cycles OVERALL=more wear.

But same # or shots fired at 20bps vs 2bps would seem to have no effect on wear.

I only see 2 negative aspects:

-poor paint and air conservation.

-illegal in a tornament and most fields

athomas
08-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Most people refer to "rapid firing" in the same terms as "runaway". The action of this causes the bolt to barely catch the bolt and then barely release it. The combination of trigger pull force, return pressure and pin length/timing provides the "sweetspot". When you fire you mag in this way you are not allowing your gun to have a proper pull and release cycle. The sear barely catches the bolt to stop forward motion. This can cause the bolt tip to become chipped or worn if fired like this on a continuous basis. The sear was meant to fully engage the bolt to stop forward motion. The bolt lip also rides along the top of the sear during the runaway mode resulting in the top of the sear wearing as well as the lip of the bolt. As these parts wear, sweetspotting will become easier to achieve until the eventual failure of the sear and/or bolt.

So, firing fast or firing slow will have no difference in the life of the gun because the same action is performed for each providing a proper trigger cycle is completed for each pull.

"Sweetspotting" or "runnaway" will eventually wear out the moving parts of the gun.