PDA

View Full Version : Shatnerball Basics

Evil Preacher
08-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Ok, I just wanted to touch the basics on how we are going to win this game. I know this is and open forum, but my team and I would like to let everyone know the basics on playing these games.

Over the next couple of days, I and my team will be posting ideas here, just bacic ideas, but we need to start talking about some kind of game plan. Last years game for the Federation was planned out for months before anyone got on the field. Pacman and the Mag 7 talked about how to play the game and had set up a very strong plan.

I know that all plans change on the field, but we need to adapt some plans into this game for our side.

First off, this game is not won by over running the other side. It is won by missions. We are going to push, but we are going to push on the missions. If you want to run and gun, then fine, let us know and we will use you to clear space for the mission squads to go behind.

muirtach
08-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Everybody who's going, listen to this guy. He know's what he's talking about and he's a great guy to boot.

Preacher, I expect to hear all of your stories from here at Fallout when we crush the Chosen "Target"'s pitiful army.

Darkstorm
08-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey Evil, great to hear that you are with Tom. I may be the only Texas Ranger at the game but I will be on Evil with Wayne, no TEXANS defending Shatner this year.

The Texas Rangers were all over the field last year and we saw a lot of things that could have made the game a lot different. Plus, a lot of scenario tricks were used that the tourney guys just did not know. Here are a number of examples....

1) Scoring - Lots of people did not understand. There are times I held flag stations by myself.

2) Distractions - There were times were we had three players keeping as many as 30-40 players occuppied. The tourney players would bunker down instead of just walking around you.

3) Not understanding props - Shatner's team sent out runners last year and got props on the break. Not all teams did. Further, at one point Tom's team held the place we hid his prop. No one knew to look for it.

4) Missions - People just need to understand what they are.

5) Scenario tricks - The Federation had people all over the field even when the Borg and Klingons controlled most of it. We ran missions that could have easily been stopped. Further, we had people watching the enemy base.

6) Medics - The Rangers ran a lot of medic cover. I was lit up a few dozen time being cover for the medic. Each time the medic then healed me but survived.

Darkstorm
08-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Peacher, How many are there in Evil, Inc that are going to be at the game. I might consider picking up the steaks, if you guys find the grill.

Evil Preacher
08-12-2003, 09:01 PM
We will have 5 at the game, only MoFo wont make it, which is ok, he is a veggie.

Evil Preacher
08-12-2003, 09:08 PM
To all team/squad captains or individual players that are confirmed to be playing along side Tom that he knows and will confirm your on his side for the game, please email me at preacher@teamevilinc.com.

We need to set up squads for missions/hammer/ground control and mission breaking.

We will rotate groups from squad to squad, but we need to set up people to understand what has to be done.

Thanks

AutomagRT1483
08-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Evil Preacher - How can we go about finding that we are confirmed to be on TK's side??? I registered two months ago so I think I have a good chance of being on the Cyborg team. I pretty much organized the AO-WI day for him, so I think I'd be up to the challenge if I can find out that Im confirmed for the Cyborg team.

Timmee
08-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Evil Preacher
To all team/squad captains or individual players that are confirmed to be playing along side Tom that he knows and will confirm your on his side for the game, please email me at preacher@teamevilinc.com.

We need to set up squads for missions/hammer/ground control and mission breaking.

We will rotate groups from squad to squad, but we need to set up people to understand what has to be done.

Thanks

I also registered months ago (with Tom's team as my first choice, of course), but haven't recieved confirmation yet. Once I get confirmation, I'll email you.

Evil Preacher
08-13-2003, 09:07 AM
I would think if you chose to be with Tom as your first choice that you would get it. What we are looking for is people we know that we can trust to run squads.

One of the best ways to play this game is planning, but the problem is that this is not a private forum. To many eyes to talk about things here.

We will tell you the basics here, but not the plans.

Tune in later, more to come...

datapimp69
08-13-2003, 02:19 PM
ep,

i emailed you on this

hope i can help

Dayspring
08-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Ditto. You've got Mail.

Timmee
08-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Evil Preacher
I would think if you chose to be with Tom as your first choice that you would get it. What we are looking for is people we know that we can trust to run squads.

One of the best ways to play this game is planning, but the problem is that this is not a private forum. To many eyes to talk about things here.

We will tell you the basics here, but not the plans.

Tune in later, more to come...

Well, since this will be my first scenario/big game (added to the fact that I'm not real good), I don't think I should run a squad.

Meph
08-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Hey Evil. I'll be more than happty to assist you guys. I've been going ot EMR for some time now (I do mean more than 2 events) and considered one of the locals actually. So I have major home-field knowledge I'd like to help Tommy Boy with!

Besides, I know how to draw attention and piss people off. I can't count the number of times I ended up being 'chosen' to distract and hold off an entire push of players either by myself, or with only a couple people by my side.

As far as actually running a squad, I usually try to not do that. I try to only assist, give input and ideas and some helpful suggestions. But if we're in desperate need of a general, then sure I'll step up. Better me than somebody who doesn't have any idea what's going on eh?

edweird
08-13-2003, 10:43 PM
EP... you can count on me as well...

Dayspring can vouch for my long standing loyalty as a cultist of kaye

kevdupuis
08-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm in, for whatever position needed.
I've played a few scenario's, starting with the Millenium Mission and have played a few Wayne Dollack games since.
The team I am a member of was most valuable team ( Russian) at Wassaga Beach last year.

Smoke
08-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Well, me and my guy AutomagRT1483 will be there, and we'll do whatever we can to help win. We're coming all the way from Wisconsin for this!

Dayspring
08-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Well, since we're putting up resumes, I've brought home 5 consecutive Most Valuable Team awards at Skirmish Scenario games w/ my rec team.

Got the tools. Got the TALENT!

Esh
08-14-2003, 04:59 PM
For those lacking in scenario experience I would like to give a little situational advice here. If by some way you find yourself behind the other sides lines, don't panic. This will get you eliminated as fast as if you had a sign on your back saying shoot me. Just stay calm and realize that if you can keep your cool the majority of players will think you’re on there side until they get close to you. Just turn and face the way you came and try to obscure any markings that you’re on the other side. This doesn't mean take off your arm band but turn so that they can't see it or cradle your gun so that it is blocking. It is good to know this for if you see someone on our side doing this then you want to keep you guard up around this person until you can POSITIVLY identify him, by visual, as on your side. Remember surrender is still an option but a hit and a barrel tag are not. If you get within surrender distance from a player either back up and put on there pack or walk up to them and barrel tag them. If you shoot them and they call for a medic, well that is an ethical decision at that point but head shots can't be healed and neither can a barrel tag. They can not shoot back at you while calling for a medic. A good number of the eliminations I get when I'm behind lines is a barrel tag or a one shot at 20ft.

Just remember to stay calm because you’re somewhere that the other side doesn't expect you.

Oh and I registered for Cyborgs back in March/April time frame.

AutomagRT1483
08-14-2003, 05:57 PM
E-mailed ya;) Hope I can help.

Darkstorm
08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
What Esh is saying is how a lot of havok was caused at times for the borg last year. One guy would get behind the borg and start barrel tagging, or shooting people from the rear.

What a number of people never figured out is how this happened. There were three main ways that I have seen people get behind another team, fairly easily.

1) Just walk - After the first 2hrs, players will take the easy path. If you go through places that don't have paths or take the LONG way. No one is likely to be there. (except me). I do this all game long.

2) Deadman walk - Especially at Spplat1 I saw an amazing number of deadman walks. A player walks toward the exit with his gun DOWN or even taken apart, but then never leaves (but now they are behind the enemey). Important things to remember, if there is no barrel sock or the player does not say "I'm dead", they are a live player. Deadman walkers will often act like they don't hear you so you get closer to them (and then they barrel tag you), ask you a question instead of answering, or just ignore you and keep walking (hoping you won't shoot them in the back as they walk away).

3) Wrong Side Player - This will be a lone player walking backwards toward your lines, since they are facing the enemy people think they must be friendly. Wrong.

In general, ANYONE that is not clearly a ref. Ask them to call themself dead, if not barrel tag them even if they have no visible gun. Further, ALWAYS check lone players to make sure they are on your team.

MXS
08-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Just a small point to make here: There will not be armband tape to distinguish the two (four) sides. We will be using those jerseys you paid for with your entry fee. This is how each side will be able to tell their members from "the other guys."
Are the jerseys similiar in design? yes.
Are they different enough to tell each other apart? yes
Even those folks who do not have color viewing capabilities will be able to tell the two teams apart.
So, if you find yourself stuck behind enemy lines, do what damage you can to as many as you can (whether barrel-tagging, asking for a surrender, or shooting from a good bunker), but know you will be made, eventually. If you'd rather just tip-toe out, then go back the way you came, and maybe take a little detour further /away from the opposing players and hook up with the first group from your own side.

If you see a player who has thrown a shirt or something over his jersey to hid it, your first instinct should be to shoot first and ask questions later. He is not playing within the spirit of the rules, no matter who he is or what side he's playing for.
The only exception to this will be the referees (of course) and media people, but, you know, they won't be carrying a gun. They'll be in brightly colored vests or shirts.

Hope this helps!
:cool:

Esh
08-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
What Esh is saying is how a lot of havok was caused at times for the borg last year. One guy would get behind the borg and start barrel tagging, or shooting people from the rear.

What a number of people never figured out is how this happened. There were three main ways that I have seen people get behind another team, fairly easily.

1) Just walk - After the first 2hrs, players will take the easy path. If you go through places that don't have paths or take the LONG way. No one is likely to be there. (except me). I do this all game long.

:D I like to bring havoc and it doesn't have to happen a couple hours into a game. I took out a squad within the first 30 minutes at Twin Towers just by slipping along the wood line. Barrel tagged a group of three then a group of six then tried to shoot out Meph but his body guard took the rounds and Meph got me just before I got him. When you know how to slip through lines it is one of the biggest rushes you can get. The only way I do it though is No.1, everything else is dishonorable to me. I just don't see it happening with a bright neon billboard on me and it kind of saddens me. I guess that means guillie suits are out of the game also.

Darkstorm
08-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Esh

I just don't see it happening with a bright neon billboard on me and it kind of saddens me.

LOL - Esh - Trust me that is not an issue, the stuff I wear makes the Spplat outfit look like cammo. I catch people all the time. Not too much is more embarassing than having me barrel tag because you never saw me coming.

Albinonewt
08-15-2003, 11:44 AM
You've got my e-mail.

Tyger
08-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by MXS

The only exception to this will be the referees (of course) and media people, but, you know, they won't be carrying a gun. They'll be in brightly colored vests or shirts.

Not always true. Shatenrball video, Doesn't Bill get assasinated by someone who 'looked' like media? :) Ask EVERYONE if they're a player or not. EVERYONE.

-Tyger

Evil Preacher
08-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Ok, I will be getting back to everyone's emails on monday and tuesday. I have a game this weekend and it is taking more time to get ready for it then I thought.

Thanks

Jeff_PbDaddy
08-16-2003, 11:54 PM
EP... check your mail.

Sorry to read Mo-Fo can't make it.

FYI... I just heard from JJ. Players are NOT required to wear the jerseys. In fact, the official jerseys may only be available for pre-registered players.

No word on a costume contest to date.

Jeff

MXS
08-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Jeff-PbDaddy, your report is incorrect.

ALL players are required to wear their event jersey to play in the game on Sunday. Yes, they may wear a ghillie suit over it.
There are PLENTY of jerseys for each team. Should even have a few leftovers.
:cool:

Darkstorm
08-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Has anyone who has played at EMR comment about the elevation differences? Supposed this makes the game a bit different.

MXS
08-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Darkstorm, haven't your teammates told you: "Up SUCKS"?

buwahhaaahaaaa!!!!
:D

Esh
08-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Darkstorm, go to Terraserver (http://terraserver-usa.com/ ). You can get a topo map of the field and a aerial pic of the field. If you take the sketch map of the field from EMRs site and compair it to the photo and map on Terraserver you get a very good idea of what the field is like. Roughly, there is part of the field that drops aprox 300m in 300m. And where the Up Sucks comment came from wasn't from someone playing on that part of the field (it was from all the mud that my side had to keep chugging through to get up to our reinsertion point). You'll see, there is part of that field you have to be inshape to play and it will still kick you backside.

This link is directly to the EMR topo map. I don't know if it is going to work though. Link (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=11&x=1087&y=11588&z=18&w=2)

Darkstorm
08-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Esh, I think you gave me part of the answer and that is there are parts of the field where the players who are in the best shape should play. But I have also heard things like shot through the leaves in places with the elevation differences. People normally take an hour or two to figure that out. I would also think that height gives you a range advantage, but is it really much?

Esh
08-19-2003, 06:59 AM
As always max range and effective range are ususally two different things. When standing at the top of some of these hills you will get more max range. It can be to the point that someone gets hit without even knowing that there is someone out there. Note I did say can be, this is because unless your well practiced with your particular gun your not going to be able to take advantage of the increased range. Now I have heard of three or four pump players sussessfully defending one section of the hill lines and I myself defended off ten at another section but there are ways to get around and through. It can boil down to who wants to flank the farthest out.

If your going up and start receiving paintball best bet is to go back and flank. There is a semi good pic of what the hills are like on EMRs site. Go to the fields page and click on the Hanse Hollow. The second pic is a fair representation of the grade of these hills.

Evil Preacher
08-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Ok, I havent had much time to get back to everyone's emails the last couple of days. I am sorry.

What I would like to do is for everyone that wants to help out with squads on the field, find me at the Tactical Paintball Gear/Evil Inc. trailer on Friday or Saturday. I will have a sign up sheet there and we can start working out plans on Friday night and Saturday night.

We plan on pulling in on Thursday morning and should be set up by mid afternoon.

Thanks