PDA

View Full Version : Pistolized Mag

Vida
08-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Hey all, I'm new here. Anyways, I'm very into scenario games, and have been looking for a pistol (preferably holster-able) to run around with at night when I'm more concerned with sneaking/spying than laying down a wall of paint, and dont want to be encumbered by a full size marker. I've got myself a Sidekick semi but it always breaks paint in the barrel on me, and I'm a bit leery of the blowback pistols (PT, Zeus, etc.). I want something good that I know isnt gonna flake out on me when I need it... So, I've decided I'd try to put together a pistolized 'Mag which would not only not be a blowback, but also be 'Uber-cool'. That's right. Uber. Anyways, I picked up an AIR valve cheap, and a freind who owns a machine shop was going to weld a 10 round horiontal feed tube on a spare Mag body for me. A cut down body rail and short barrel (maybe stock minimag?) would be used. I'd planned on running it off of a 12 grams from a quick changer reverse mounted under the grip, and running Macro line up through a channel carved out of a stock AGD grip and up to the AIR valve, but i found out the output pressure on a 12 gram is only like 375 psi (as opposed to the ideal 8-900)... Arggggh... plans majorly disrupted. Anyways, I had also thought about a Sydarm... however, I discussed this with a freind who works alot with Mags, and he told me that the Sydarm has problems with freezing up from the CO2, and since it uses 12 grams, it lacks in range from the low output psi of the 12 grams... I don't know these things to be fact, but my freind knows much more about Mags than I do... Plus, I know about the whole Sydarms not being sold to the general public thing, which adds a little layer of difficulty to things, and I think it'd be cooler to MAKE something than just buy it... Anyways, I'm gonna continue on with this project... Maybe find a very low volume CO2 tank to use... (I used to have a 3.5 oz and I remember a site that had all sorts of wierd CO2 tank sizes... 2-3 Oz'ers.... anyone got any info on this?) Anyways, any thoughts, ideas, info, or suggestions on any aspect of this project would be greatly appreciated... thnx in advance.

aut911
08-15-2003, 12:07 PM
well, you could drill out two holes in the back of the rail and put an asa and a 12 gram adapter. I know for a fact that a 12gram puts out around 800 900 psi. Its still liquid co2 in that tiny bottle. anyways if you dont want to use that then you could use the spare air from pmi, that would work great. Also, to make this project easier, use a powerfeed adapter on the feedneck instead of welding a tube to the gun, then you could just slap a new ten round tube on there faster then with a welded tube.
just a suggestion.

aut

buckwheat05
08-15-2003, 12:50 PM
weld on an asa horizontally onto the rail where u would normally put a 4 grip and then u could just screw in 12 grams right under the barrel

aut911
08-15-2003, 03:04 PM
or you could even put one on top of the barrel like the sydarm. then you could simply run a microline into the valve or even just drill a small air inlet right into the valve back to the original one.

meh.

aut

Vida
08-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey, thnks for the ideas guys... Good to know I was mistaken on the 12 grams. That makes things a bit easier and lets me stick more to the original plan. As far as the feed tube is concerned, I'm gonna go with welding a new horizontal one like the Sydarm has (and then spring loading it) so that the Mag will be easily holsterable. As far as the ASA being mounted under the barrel, thats a really good idea... I think I can have my freind tap the body rail in front of the grip so the ASA can attach with screws instead of having to be welded. This project'll probably take me some time to get completed but I'll try to post some pics when its done. Keep the ideas coming.

penguinpunk555
08-16-2003, 01:18 AM
i say get a 4 0z co2 tank and run it threw a remote and have a pocket in the holster for it

moocow90
08-16-2003, 05:00 PM
i thought about this a bit to and i think the best way to mount the quick charger is to screw a 90* elbow into the valve and then screw one of those vert. spyder adapters into that then u could just screw the quick charger into that and it would be stremline on the side of the gun no macro lines to worry about.

also if the 90* adapter wont put it out enough to screw the vert adapter in get a female to male adapter so u can screw the 90* adapter into it then screw that into the gun and it should push it out just far enough

nato
08-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Blech... CO2. I'd suggest the remote, then you can use nitro. Downside? not as much of a pistol unless you like lanyards...

N.A.T.O.

sbpyro
08-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Don't think it will be much of a problem but could be.
With the 12 gram horizontal wouldn't that make it easy for the liquid to travel to the valve. I've currently finishing up a pump mag with a 12 gram quick change mounted vertically with very minimum amount of ss hose (bout 6" with QD). The ss hose is almost completely parallel to the rail. If you do a similar set up with the bottle horizontal. You may have a little issue with the co2 in the valve (I think this is only a problem when you have gas and liquid in the valve).

shinobidice
08-22-2003, 09:06 PM
you could check out those "spare air" or whatever they are called, maybe mount that on the grip facing forward, they are smaller co2 bottle things that sound kinda neat. it would keep the size down but it would be more a support pistol then a side arm pistol ;)