PDA

View Full Version : pump mags

minnimag
08-14-2003, 09:48 AM
i see some of you have converted pump mags. Ive been interested in making my own pump mag with the "attic" kit in the AGD store but it says it's not complete. I was wondering if someone could explain what it takes to make your own pump mag and what you will need to buy in addition to the kit in the store, thanks

sbpyro
08-14-2003, 09:59 AM
you need a smaller bumper for the wave spring in the kit. (I cut one of the blue ones). A rail with the slot for the pump rod. A pump rod (made mine cost me about $5 for about 3 ft of the rod material ). and a body that has the slot milled into it for the pump rod.

Some advice. If you can't punch out the bumper try a little liquid nitrogen or dry ice to harden the bumper then cut it out with a lathe. (I actually just sandwiched it between two pieces of metal and threw it into the freezer didn't work too well but functional.) When picking out the drill rod find one that is air hardening and high chrome content. THat way you can just heat it up with a blowtorch and set it down to harden. THe more chrome the better the finish comes out.

Strider
08-14-2003, 11:18 AM
There is a dealer who will mill existing bodies and rails:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88222

Same dealer makes pump rods:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85763

Very professional.

Koosh
08-14-2003, 11:45 AM
I agree with Strider.

Destructive Customs and Magmonkey are what got my Pump Mag going. I sent him my rail and body, and he milled out my rail (turned out I already had a pump body, DOH!) and sent them back to me ASAP. Everything works like a charm and I highly reccomend him if you need to get that done.

When you order the pump kit, just buy like two extra blue bumpers. They are only like a buck each, and that way you'll have one you can massacre, and still have an extra one if you want to take out pump kit and go back to semi. At least thats what I did...

openboater
08-14-2003, 11:59 AM
I cut my bumper down with a pair of scissors, works great.
and you can used old used bumpers and keep the new ones for when you use it as a semi.

Last I knew, AGD store had pump rails all milled. $40 they are polished, not black.

I think AGDKAYLE made my rod for $5 shipped.

the great thing about a Mag pump is no double feeds. Sometimes in my other pumps I double feed cause they are closed bolts and everytime you pump you load a ball, but with a mag being an openbolt, you can pump a zillion times, but only one ball in the breech. plus, the pump action on a mag only does something the last 1/8th of an inch in the back stroke (reset the bolt).

sbpyro
08-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I think that was a while ago
I bought my rail from the store and I believe it was for $25. About a week after I ordered they were no longer a listed item on the site.

minnimag
08-14-2003, 06:39 PM
thanks for all the help guys. Just wonderring if some of you could post pics of your pump mag and also the milled rail. Is it noticably milled when you dont have the pump kit on?

Koosh
08-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Here is mine... Slightly old pic, only thing different is I have a Freak barrel instead of the AA on it. If you take the pump kit off, the only thing you'll notice on the rail is a small hole to the left hand side by where the barrel goes in... thats it.

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=907908

minnimag
08-14-2003, 08:53 PM
can i use my lvl10 while using the pump?

Koosh
08-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Yep