PDA

View Full Version : oh, they're out there.. trust me

jdev
08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
if I already posted this.. smack me.. dont think i did.

anyways. I was going through some of the old pictures I took and have up on my website and came across this lovely gem when reviewing a night of drinking with friends:

http://fallingaway.com/img/boston_clubs/trinity/03.04.12/no_stop_pavement.JPG

This street sign is in boston, on an onramp to Rt3 South. Co-incidently on a paved road at a stopsign.

*sigh*

i sometimes struggle to find the reasoning behind this streetsign.. then i realize its boston :p

Albinonewt
08-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Very interesting

wyn1370
08-14-2003, 10:13 AM
two of my favorites
"beware of falling rock" that same damn rock keeps falling and then getting back up somehow
"do not pass when there is oncomming trafic" cause you know you want to

Automaggin2
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Theres a speedlimit sign near my house that says 19 mph :confused: And its a real sign for a nieghberhood

gamarada717
08-14-2003, 12:10 PM
When we were going to a school up north for a soccer game, we were going through a neighborhood and in every place you had to stop, they had 2 stop signs stacked on top of eachother. I guess you have to stop 2 times.:confused:

darklord
08-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Please give me directions to said sign so I can steal it :D

Speaking of whacky MA signs, did you know those green highway signs have peelable letters? I was driving on the pike one time and went by an exit, but the "E" was flapping on the breeze, barely hanging on! :eek: Gives me some ideas :D

WicKeD_WaYz
08-14-2003, 12:16 PM
hey theres no bullet holes in that sign. Nice

Splat
08-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Driving through Iowa once I noticed a sign that said "dirt road" on a dirt road... I'm thinking, wow, I'm glad I live in Minnesota, we HAVE common sence :D ;)

jdev
08-14-2003, 12:49 PM
hey dark,

coming out of boston, not sure the streets, but if I got there, i would know how to get here...

anyways.. you know where the 'fortress' bank/museum vault is?

right nearby is a shell gas station, a shaws supermarket and what not in a small plaza..

well, the onramp right there, next to the stop lights just before the ramp, thats where it is.

:D

ill come with if you need ;)

darklord
08-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Joey, don't know where that is... with the Big Dig and whatnot and those damned goatpaths (you know what I'm talkin about!) it's almost impossible to navigate through Boston.

I just remembered that there are a few "No Standing" signs in Boston too... man, it's ridiculous. Oh BTW gotta love Boston Police! I was reading an article in the Globe once and they pretty much said "If you're white, you get a break. If you're female, you get a break." (the article was about who is more likely to get a warning instead of a ticket from Boston Police)... so if you're a white chick, you get a break! Male minority though, yeah, expect a ticket.

I also love the signs in the UK... "no busking" or something like that.... I looked it up in my Oxford Dictionary and it pretty much says you can't entertain for money. You'd see signs like that all the time taking the Underground.

I also love those signs in Tokyo telling you not to piss in public.... LOL

joeyjoe367
08-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by gamarada717
When we were going to a school up north for a soccer game, we were going through a neighborhood and in every place you had to stop, they had 2 stop signs stacked on top of eachother. I guess you have to stop 2 times.:confused:

The reason for that is just in case the snowpack gets too high. YOu did mention it was somewhere up north.

The reason they don'yjusthave 1 up high is because people might miss it since it'd be above the "normal" height where people are used to seeing it.

Oh, I have a 5 mph Speed limit in a park around here. We routinely go 4-5 times the speedlimit.

Do you realize how slow that is? I can get out and run faster without breaking a sweat, and I'm out of shape. It's rediculous.

-=Squid=-
08-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367

The reason for that is just in case the snowpack gets too high. YOu did mention it was somewhere up north.

The reason they don'yjusthave 1 up high is because people might miss it since it'd be above the "normal" height where people are used to seeing it.

Oh, I have a 5 mph Speed limit in a park around here. We routinely go 4-5 times the speedlimit.

Do you realize how slow that is? I can get out and run faster without breaking a sweat, and I'm out of shape. It's rediculous.

but if the snow was so high it covered a stop sign, would you really be driving? :confused: And if somehow you WERE driving, and it covered one sign, and the other was right on top, that would mean that it was on ground level?? Im so confused.

RPK
08-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Splat
Driving through Iowa once I noticed a sign that said "dirt road" on a dirt road... I'm thinking, wow, I'm glad I live in Minnesota, we HAVE common sence :D ;)

We have a few different types of signs like that - the obviously DUH sighs... "Pavment Ends" is very common or "End of Gravel"... my favorite is on the freeways/highways there are signs that tell us not to pick up hitch hickers, hitch hicking is illegal in Iowa. Now unless there is a problem with your car, who is going to stop in the middle of the freeway to pick up some stranger? I can understand it in the city, where there are frequent stops... but the freeway/highway?!

RPK

WicKeD_WaYz
08-14-2003, 04:40 PM
"Hey Loydd, theres some people who want a ride too"

"Pick em up!!"

Mock...si....ing...si.............

sorry it just came to mind

jdev
08-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-

but if the snow was so high it covered a stop sign, would you really be driving? :confused: And if somehow you WERE driving, and it covered one sign, and the other was right on top, that would mean that it was on ground level?? Im so confused.

squid, this would usually caused by snow removal, not the actual snowfall itself. ive seen it around where i live.. street signs get coverd and things of that nature.. kinda sucks.