PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about this Cocker, need help

vdo_game_junkie
08-14-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking of picking up this cocker but I don't know too much about them or how much they cost other than what I see in internet stores. I played with my brothers STO and Evolution but this seems lighter. It might be in my head but it really feels lighter. The picture doesn't do it justice. The body is pewter and the rest of it is chrome. I didn't get to fire it because he said the timing was off. You can cock it and fire it once and that was it. So I couldn't tell if you could really rip on it. The trigger is very short and smooth but I don't know if that would change with the timing. Anyways if anyone has opinions about cockers please post them up. I'd really like to know what I'm getting into and how much I should offer.
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/vdo_game_junkie/fcocker.jpg
BTW this would be a backup to my mag since my spyder really isn't cutting it.:)

jdev
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
*wow*

that picture does not really do it any justice. I first looked at it and thought it was all gold.

try to foucs on the black of the guage on the reg.. then look at the picture itself.. youll see the pewter and chrome.

or this could just be my eyes..

:confused: :rolleyes:

BajaBoy
08-14-2003, 11:34 AM
looks nice, take it outside and take a pic.. it will come out alot better (if you can)

agian looks like a really nice cocker..

-=Squid=-
08-14-2003, 11:50 AM
if that is supposed to be pewter, chrome, why is it gold/brown?? :confused:

Ov3rmind
08-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Looks pretty nice from the outside, do you know what internals are in there?

vdo_game_junkie
08-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Ok, maybe I should just remove the picture still it's seems to be distracting. :( I took the picture at night under the worse lighting conditions that's why it looks . . the way it looks.

Anyway any suggestions? What should I look for? What should I expect owning a cocker? I'll try to get a list of what is on this beast to give you a better idea.

WARPED1
08-14-2003, 01:03 PM
If it works, don't touch it. Thats the number 1 reason cockers don't work, user error.
Looks like you don't need any upgrades, except maybe a Pipe or Freak barrel. Just play and have fun.

darklord
08-14-2003, 01:54 PM
I'd say $400 or so cause he seems to be ignorant to the timing of it... it'll run you $20 or so for a local shop to time it for ya. Depends on the specs, too.

JAM
08-14-2003, 02:05 PM
well, here's a more accurate color..

looks like a good deal. $4-500... nice trigger frame, nice grip, nice body, nice beavertail...

any idea of what the internals are? 3 way?

Danz
08-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Does your brother know how to time a cocker?

If not, I would ask the seller to have it re-timed before you make the purchase. That way you can put some paint through it and then decide. Good luck.

Danz.

Ov3rmind
08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by darklord
I'd say $400 or so cause he seems to be ignorant to the timing of it... it'll run you $20 or so for a local shop to time it for ya. Depends on the specs, too.
Or you could save $20 and do it yourself.

speeddemon
08-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Wow JAM, I just did that same thing with the pic, then scrolled down and saw you already did it.

As far as the cocker goes, I'd try and get it, don't spend too much though.

JEDI
08-14-2003, 02:36 PM
I would also say between $4-500. Its a nice body, with mediocre parts. That looks like a stock LPR on the front end. You'll eventually want to swap it for an adjustable. It looks like a Kapp twisted (fat) ram. They're decent. Kapp twisted cocking rod. Bob long torpedo reg. Good reg, but again, there's better out there. That eclipse Blade frame kicks a$$. It looks like a stock bolt, and an older pull pin. The pin will blow up within the first case of paint. WGP has since redone them. Find out what kind of internals, and what kind of 3way it has.

Over all its a very nice gun. I'd say grab it, for within that price range. Even for $500 and change, its a good deal. I always look for a nice body, and at least a few parts you can keep, which this gun has both. I'm not saying you HAVE to replace stuff, but after a while, you'll get to know what parts are considered bomb proof in the cocker world. Good luck.

vdo_game_junkie
08-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, Jam that looks much better. :)

I left him a message so I could find out about the internals and 3-way. I'll post up when I find out.

BTW, how often do cockers need to be timed? It sounds like it is something that I can do myself, how easy is it? I didn't want to take it to my bro since the cocker bashing I've given him before and he's seen it and wasn't too impressed or at least he said it wasn't his style. Also what is a good cocker resourse online? Thanks in advance guys!

JEDI
08-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Once you time it well, it should stay timed for a very long time. You're putting certain parts, in certain positions. As long as they stay in those positions, it will be fine. Maybe retime it once every few months. I think both my cockers have been in-time for like, the last year or so. I'd say for the first time, have some one do it for you. But its not hard to learn.

WGP forums- http://www.wgppress.com/

PBreview thread- http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21717

http://www.madcocker.com/

Cocker owners group-
http://www.thecog.bizland.com/diagram.html

Airpowered.com

darklord
08-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

Or you could save $20 and do it yourself. Well even if you have written instructions, some people still can't time it.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
08-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Some points:

Stock LPR, Twisted Kapp I beleive Ram (Ie an STO RAM with milling) Bob Long Torpedoe, Eclipse Frame, Fireball Mountain Body. Some sort of aftermarket bolt.

I would not give over 400 for the marker, without knowing anymore about it.

Az

wobbles82
08-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Indeed, what everybody else said about the parts is correct. I believe the bolt is either a Black Magic stock bolt, or the Shocktech Supafly, both have that same design. Look inside the gun and see if its delrin or metal, and if its delrin its Supafly, if not then its most likely the Magic bolt. With cockers I prefer Delrin bolts, it just makes the marker a bit more reliable. Find out the internals like everyone else said, and possibly the operating pressure. Always good things with cockers. At that point id say like 400 bucks. :D

FutureMagOwner
08-14-2003, 07:36 PM
id buy it for about 400 thats a nice looking cocker and a new front reg bolt and maybe 3 way and your more then set :) (unless you wanna eblade it and maybe a new barrel)

RusskiX
08-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by wobbles82
I believe the bolt is either a Black Magic stock bolt, or the Shocktech Supafly, both have that same design.

The bolt isn't a Supafly. Shocktech's use an evo pullpin. It does appears to be a black magic (venturi) bolt.

Has the seller given you a price?

Taco
08-15-2003, 01:30 AM
id buy it for about 450 max nd then get a new barrel nd a eblade if u have the money

Halo2x
08-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Ask around on www.air-powered.com those guys know everything about cockers!

vdo_game_junkie
08-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the input, especially those links JEDI. Here is a run down on the cocker:

FireBall Mountain body + Front Block + ASA + "Q" Block
Kapp Phat RAM
Palmer MicroRock Pneumatic Reg
WGP Adjustable 3-way
Dye Microgauge
Armageddon 12" Barrell
Bob Long Nickel Torpedo Regulator (LPR)
Eclipse Double Trigger Hinge Frame
AJAX Synthetic Pearl Gun Grips (1911)
Kapp F/X Beaver Tail
Twisted Parts Bolt
Kapp Chrome Cocking Arm
CP "Lightning Bolt" Drop Forward
Kapp Nickel On/Off Valve
Kapp Hammer Kit
Stock Valve
Kapp Chrome Ball Detent

So the general concensus is that if I get it somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 I should be ok, he is actually asking $600. So we will see. Any other comments, post up! thanks again.

JEDI
08-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Where did you get the specs on the micro rock. I'm pretty sure thats not one. Here's a shot of one.
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/images/rock/Rock-micro-nickel.jpg
All those other parts seem like a pretty good line up. $600 is way too much though. Like I said, I'd be willing to pay a little over $500 at most. Stock 2003 vert cockers go for $300 and change. So $400 seems a little low. (It does have some nice stuff on there). Try to bring him down to at least low $500s.

vdo_game_junkie
08-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks again JEDI, you've been really helpful. The specs i got straight from him, just did a copy and paste. I'll try to bring his price down closer to $500. He also said he'll get the timing fixed and change to the bolt to a Shocktech Supafly and he'll throw in a carrying case as well (I know whoopee big deal!) :)

I guess I'll be dong some haggling this weekend.

MarkM
08-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Specs aside that 'cocker has been built from scratch, the body is an aftermarket one and some of the combo of internals are not something you see everyday, well not with some of the other parts. This is one of the problems with 'cockers as what one person decides is a great part another will say something else, The Kapp parts says to me that someone has built this 'cocker on a budget but again you don't always have to spend lots to get a cocker that flys. If you can actually get to fire this 'cocker properly and you like it then buy it and don't fiddle with it.