PDA

View Full Version : REAL Mag barrel length?

mark_426
08-14-2003, 09:42 PM
First, sorry, I wanted to change the title and be more clear from the start.

I was told the freak i bought had a 14" tip. Great. Looking at pics, it seems shorter. Can anyone tell me, either:
a. how long their freak TIP is?
or
b. where do you measure a mag barrel from?

Confusion first started here:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You measure he whole barrel...from end to end. Tuna
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^Tuna

quote:
From the chamber/breech area, forward. NOT the entire length.

Nearly all two piece barrels only have a control bore (that portion that actually touches the ball) in the back piece, so the rest of the barrel does nothing but vent gas, and give you a sighting plane to look down. The longer the sighting plane, the easier it is to aim accurately. 14" has been established as the best length for speedball, as it isn't so long to be awkward, yet long enough to push inflatable bunkers away for a clear shot with little player exposure. However, with such a short control bore, you lose much efficiency.

One piece barrels almost always are control bore their full length, so the most efficient one piece would only need to be about 10" long, as that is the optimum length for total gas expansion under pressure. BUT, short barrels do not push bunkers away very well.

Hope that helps! Dave

^Army

mark_426
08-14-2003, 09:48 PM
pic 2

and i deleted the other thread

the freak is 13 3/8 end to end.

the front is 7 1/4

it is a little off of 12 from tip to first o ring holding nubbin.

edit** sneaky told me his 12" all american tip is 8 1/2.... mine ^ is 7 1/4

Willybob
08-14-2003, 10:19 PM
That's a 12 inch. No I don't know where to measure from nor have I ever owned a mag, but I have owned freak kits, and that's a 12.

Taco
08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
weird

mark_426
08-16-2003, 10:29 PM
ttt

personman
08-16-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure thats a 12 incher bro, it just looks like one to me.
Then again it might be a 10 inch

mark_426
08-17-2003, 10:48 AM
i guess it is safe to assume my freak is a 12? and the AA is a 16? and the boa is anout an 11?

Army
08-17-2003, 01:39 PM
With twist lock barrels, you discount the breech. That's a 12".

All other barrels do NOT have a breech, since that is built into the gun...except for 'Mags.