PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

Blennidae
08-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Other than a big beetle that is. I looked up and its just sitting on my screen door. Not a giant, but bigger than your average bug.

N_R_Z
08-15-2003, 07:50 PM
I just got back from the amizon...that is not a big bug

MarkM
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Ok the head part looks a little different...but looks like a Colorado beetle to me. Hope ya killed it or at the very least caught it and put it somewhere to have the crops people come look at.

If it is a Colorado then it is serious for farmers.

LINK (http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/colorado.htm)

heftylefty
08-15-2003, 09:10 PM
thats a pretty big bug. does anyone know what kind of bee or hornet this is? it was flying around me when i was working in the yard so i hit it with a shovel. ive been searching the net and i still cant find what kind it is.

heftylefty
08-15-2003, 09:11 PM
another pic

AssassN
08-16-2003, 09:01 AM
That looks like a mud doober thing. I'm not sure how its spelled but they make little houses out of mud. They don't bite or anything and they fight wasps.

I don't know anything about bugs so I'm probably wrong.

sneakyhacker420
08-16-2003, 09:02 AM
thats nothing... i used to live in texas, and there were 8" long freaking walking sticks

AssassN
08-16-2003, 09:06 AM
I still live in texas, we have lots of bugs.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
08-16-2003, 11:00 AM
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/Ento/tremex.htm

wood wasp! weeee...this is like hide and seek!

Thordic
08-16-2003, 11:27 AM
every once in a while around here someplace will get infested with these HUGE 3" long hornets that live underground.

Once they made a huge colony at a large park near here, under the baseball fields.

3" long hornets are freaking scary dude...

sneakyhacker420
08-16-2003, 11:44 AM
i hear you out thordic, one day when i was mowing the lawn in texas, this freakin HUGE bright red hornet that had to be atleast 3-4" long landed on a leaf about 2 feet away from me

i shut down the mower and ran like shyt for the back door of the house...

i still have a vivid picture of that hornet in my mind... and it makes me shivver to this day what would have happened if that thing would've freakin stung me

billybob_81067
08-16-2003, 10:26 PM
One time when my dad and I were hunting prairie dogs I saw this freakin huge grasshopper... 7 inches long!!!! It was about 15-20 feet away and I shot it with my .22 right in the head and then I put it in this plastic box to take home and show my mom. We left it in the box in our utility room and it was still moving it's legs for over a week! That was some crazy crap....

:D

LittleKrems
08-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by billybob_81067
One time when my dad and I were hunting prairie dogs I saw this freakin huge grasshopper... 7 inches long!!!! It was about 15-20 feet away and I shot it with my .22 right in the head and then I put it in this plastic box to take home and show my mom. We left it in the box in our utility room and it was still moving it's legs for over a week! That was some crazy crap....

:D

i smell bs.... but if that is true, i am scared...:(

AutomagBoy
08-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Did you blow off all of its brains? If so i dont know hwo you would explain the week thing.

It could still live if it had enough brains to carry on with needed organs.

billybob_81067
08-18-2003, 02:35 AM
I swear upon my mothers soul that the grasshopper was real... and it was freakin huge... If only I had my digi cam a few years back I would have take lots and lots of pics.

and about the blowing it's brains everywhere... I just got about half of it's head blown off with the .22. I have no clue how it was still twitching for so long, but it did. I mean it wasn't flailing around in the box, but it's leg would twitch a bit about once or twice a minute.

Anyways it scared the crap outa me and my dad too... we're farmers, and can you imagine how much a 7 inch grasshopper could eat??? :eek:

pbguy888
08-18-2003, 05:51 AM
The grasshoper thing is true. Ever pluck a leg off of a grand daddy long leg? The legs is completely off of the body yet it still kinda moves around.

EsPo
08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by pbguy888
The grasshoper thing is true. Ever pluck a leg off of a grand daddy long leg? The legs is completely off of the body yet it still kinda moves around.
Yeah.. but I stopped cause it seemed pretty evil.

Down in florida i saw a grashopper that was a good four inches long.. it was red-yellow-green fade.. good stuff.