PDA

View Full Version : Lense Life...

Bad_Dog
08-15-2003, 11:31 PM
How long do your goggle lenses last(on average). I have a JT spetra and there are two cracks(one on each side of the nosepiece), each is about and inch long. Is this from letting paint sit on the lense to long? Any help would be great, thanks.

FalconGuy016
08-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Paint wont eat away your lense unless its some kind of acid paint. Sounds like your mask has been through some impacts of some kind (storage, travel, paintball?) and you HAVE to replace that

-=Squid=-
08-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
Paint wont eat away your lense unless its some kind of acid paint. Sounds like your mask has been through some impacts of some kind (storage, travel, paintball?) and you HAVE to replace that

Actually it can. I got shot on the hopper (halo) and it literally ate away at the hopper. The whole front of the hopper just started to crumble. Naturaly, I got some new shells thanks to odysseys godly customer service.

speedyejl
08-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Yea serioulsy the $10 or so a new lense costs is worth not getting a shattered lense in your face.

FalconGuy016
08-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-

Actually it can. I got shot on the hopper (halo) and it literally ate away at the hopper. The whole front of the hopper just started to crumble. Naturaly, I got some new shells thanks to odysseys godly customer service.

Well, I think lense material is different. But then agian, im only assuming that

uh oh! My halo has pink paint in the seams (!!!!!!!!) I better clean that

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
08-16-2003, 12:33 AM
I change my Dye Invision lenses about every 4 months of play. I play nearly every weekend

-=Squid=-
08-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016

Well, I think lense material is different. But then agian, im only assuming that

uh oh! My halo has pink paint in the seams (!!!!!!!!) I better clean that

Odyssey makes halos from the same stuff as lenses.

SomebodySomeoneRTPcf
08-16-2003, 11:03 AM
I have pink paint in my Hopper too, its im possible to get out. I have a vl 12 volt and its all in where I screw in the scews (DUH). I think pink paint should be banned, its the ONLY paint that seems to stick around after your clean your hopper. I have used black, orange, green, white, blue, red, yellow, purple, glow in the dark (which was awsome when me and my friend played in the forest preseve at night, yes itsbilligal)and pink. Pink its the worst.

-=Squid=-
08-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by SomebodySomeoneRTPcf
I have pink paint in my Hopper too, its im possible to get out. I have a vl 12 volt and its all in where I screw in the scews (DUH). I think pink paint should be banned, its the ONLY paint that seems to stick around after your clean your hopper. I have used black, orange, green, white, blue, red, yellow, purple, glow in the dark (which was awsome when me and my friend played in the forest preseve at night, yes itsbilligal)and pink. Pink its the worst.

Thats why you take it apart, and clean the shells in water. :)

SyntaxError
08-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Oh man, don't even get me started on lens life:D

My JTs are awful in terms of lens life. I get no more than 1 1/2 months out of clear spectra lenses on my flex, and I baby the goggles now. I mean they get their own hard padded case, and the lenses still go. In the past 6 months, I've gone through 5 clear lenses, all of which had the inner thermal lens crack. Every one of them cracked at the top center, and spidered down.

Its totally annoying, but I guess thats what comes from twice a week play

FalconGuy016
08-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SyntaxError
Oh man, don't even get me started on lens life:D

My JTs are awful in terms of lens life. I get no more than 1 1/2 months out of clear spectra lenses on my flex, and I baby the goggles now. I mean they get their own hard padded case, and the lenses still go. In the past 6 months, I've gone through 5 clear lenses, all of which had the inner thermal lens crack. Every one of them cracked at the top center, and spidered down.

Its totally annoying, but I guess thats what comes from twice a week play

Mine are about to reach their 2 year anniversary, still not a single crack or anything. Not safe, I know, but still, no cracks :)

Surreal
08-16-2003, 02:18 PM
real men never get shot in the goggles.

speedyejl
08-16-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm getting up to 6mnths on mine, I play regularly and get gogged plenty. No cracks they look perfect. I use no fog spray every game though to make sure their crystal clear, I know that applying nofog before a game makes paint come off easier so that might extend lense life.

FordPrefect
08-16-2003, 06:08 PM
I also get those cracks from up on the nosepiece on my JT's. I'll get maybe 2-3 months out of lenses.

lew
08-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Mine are going on 4 years. No cracks or nothin'. I'll take the risk if there is any.

Halliday
08-16-2003, 08:08 PM
I replace my JT Spectra lenses every winter, weather they nead them or not.

SG Avenger
08-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Before I changed mask frames to a Proteus w/new lense. I had a Spectra Mask/Lense which i'd used several times in 98/99, then started using a lot oh, 2 months ago [grin] I forgot about lense life. it worked though. I wouldnt want to chance that again.

Bad_Dog
08-16-2003, 09:48 PM
well before I played today I replaced the lense ($20)

no biggie, the old ones were all scratched up anyway...

I just wonder what does cause the inner lense crack like that?? is it due to stress? or temperature?

well whatever it is, I'd rather just replace it than risk it...

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
08-16-2003, 09:50 PM
1every -2 years is recommended for replacing lens,and i like my eyes so...:rolleyes:

Bad_Dog
08-16-2003, 09:56 PM
after closer inspection of my old lense i just realized how bad they really were...

I took a picture but not all the cracks are visible so I highlighted them...

SyntaxError
08-16-2003, 10:01 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with JT's being purchased by BE? I've noticed my pre-BE lenses never cracked like these do...

logamus
08-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Halliday
I replace my JT Spectra lenses every winter, weather they nead them or not.

you change your lenses like i change undies. :p

Halliday
08-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Ewww.

Bad_Dog
08-16-2003, 10:48 PM
yah, but once you soil the lenses, you can't just turn them inside out and put them back on...:D :D :D

Taco
08-16-2003, 10:59 PM
disgusting

magnj
08-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I had scott lenses for my hottshot and they were ****

I know have the JT proflex lenses for like 4 months now and i dont see 1 scratch

Siress
08-16-2003, 11:09 PM
:( we really didn't need that last one, BAD DOG, NO BISCUIT...sorry, I'm new, I had to do it :D

I let the local fluke-up use my gogs for a game and he managed to make my padding smell like a wet dog and break the gasket in my thermals. I had to replace them to play and the only ones there were some dark tented color relfection lenses...bad idea if you EVER play in the woods. I can't see a thing in the woods. On the speedball field its nice for the tent, but still more difficuilt to see than with clear lenses. I have never had mine crack as they are also pre-BE, if that has anything to do with it. I am getting some yellow tent fade lenses REAL soon, its amazing what that will do for your game. No joke, in the woods espically. Orange tent is about the same. Another thing about the reflective coating on the lense, I was running throught the scrub brush and a little branch hit the lense and scraped off some of the coating, so now it looks like a bad scratch or something. I will never buy a lense like it again.

As far as life, I had the clear ones for 2 years with no problems, ever. I think two years, it was whenever the proteus FIRST hit the scene. I use plexus on them if the get splater on them, I also clean them with a soap/water mixture regularly. I have a big bottle of it at the field. I also store my goggs in a Ronnan gog bag. I highly recomend something like that, I credit it with my gogs looking like new still.

One more thing, I hate to get shot in the gogs because you have to take the lense out to get them REALLY clean.