PDA

View Full Version : Political Corectness

superdesk2007
08-16-2003, 12:24 AM
What is with PC? Why do people say marker, all of the sudden you say gun referring to paintball people have to chime in and say marker?
Look at some companies that have things to do with guns; WORR Games Products, Air GUN designs.( Thats the main, or only, two that pop to mind)
I was on PBR and this kid was mocking this guy cause he said gun.
Does it help the sport grow, I don't think so, if a kid asks his mom for a marker she might consider it, when she sees it, probably notices it resembles a gun and might say no.

Me, I call them guns.

speedyejl
08-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Does it hurt the sport calling marking instruments markers? No

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
08-16-2003, 12:31 AM
I call them guns...I can care less about the political correctness of the term...they have a prob with it they can kiss my white arse :D

LaW
08-16-2003, 12:52 AM
I have been using marker for more then 5 years now... i will say gun from time to time but marker is just the word I use mostly. It gives paintball guns a specific title in their sport.... Plus, what were paintball guns derived from in the beginning?

do i make any sense? lol

dinger
08-16-2003, 01:03 AM
i used to say paintball gun, but now i have more switched to saying marker. then again i say "well my pb gun blah blah blah..." so i kinda use both. marker would be the correct term to use, since in the paintball rules, when a player is "marked" by a paintball, they are out. sure some rules/people might say "i tagged you!!" but i mean, come on people, whos gonna call it a "paintball tagger?" that, of course, sounds quite silly. a lot of people probably define paintball as a sport for people who want to shoot other people without it being illegal (or something along those lines). and with the reference of "shooting" or "firing" a "marker," it would make sense to call it a gun.

:/

that would be my 2¢ (or even 3¢)

darklord
08-16-2003, 01:28 AM
I say gun, but if I'm "defending" paintball I use "marker". "Gun" is just simpler and doesn't sound so ghey when you're talking to others. I really don't care either way...

bornl33t
08-16-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by superdesk2007
What is with PC? Why do people say marker, all of the sudden you say gun referring to paintball people have to chime in and say marker?
Look at some companies that have things to do with guns; WORR Games Products, Air GUN designs.( Thats the main, or only, two that pop to mind)
I was on PBR and this kid was mocking this guy cause he said gun.
Does it help the sport grow, I don't think so, if a kid asks his mom for a marker she might consider it, when she sees it, probably notices it resembles a gun and might say no.

Me, I call them guns.

I call them weapons of mass destruction!!

kosmo
08-16-2003, 04:50 AM
It shoots things, so its a gun. I dont care what people think, paintball is not a terrorist militia training program, and if someone cant handle that, then its their problem. Im too lazy to say such words as long as marker or type "'gun" instead of just gun, so Im not gonna alter my way of life to make an idiot sleep better at night.

kutter
08-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Does that mean that mechanics now have to call them 'grease dispensing devices' instead of grease gun?

MarkM
08-16-2003, 06:18 AM
If it wasn't for political correctness then you wouldn't have paintball in New Jersey. I can't find the link as it was contained within a thread that wasn't exactly about that subject but when the test case went to court the term marker was used throughout as the New Jersey writ was calling paintball markers GUNS and as such they were illegal. Call a paintball marker a gun within the paintball community but to the outside world keep to marker, ok you might have to explain what a "marker" is and what paintball also is but by that time you may well have brought someone else into the game....call it a gun and you will switch unknowing people off straight away.

GT
08-16-2003, 09:21 AM
'gun- see the little mark infront of the g? means pbgun. only use this around pb friendly folks.

marker- for morons who are scared of pb.

jb

Meph
08-16-2003, 09:41 AM
To all those that are toutin "Yeah, I say screw PC I call 'em guns! I'm a mans' man!" yadda yadda. I suggest you go through customs when you go to events like Skyball! Go on, try it next year.

Go right on, say "Yeah, I have 5 GUNS in the back, we're going to the skydome and having fun!"

Hehe. Enough of that though. Honestly it doesn't matter. Call them what you want. They resemble guns, yet you don't kill people you only mark them. Which is why they're called markers. The original 707 was for MARKING trees, the Splatmaster was "National Survival Games' MARKING Pistol." And with our equipment, we mark people with 'paint.'

Call it a gun, or call it a marker. Either or. Be my guest. Just don't start taking a stand as if you're superior to completely PC people just because "I call it a GUN and that's that you hippies."

kosmo
08-16-2003, 10:48 AM
I call it a gun, and thats that you hippies:rolleyes:

brett
08-16-2003, 11:38 AM
I agree Meph!

minnimag
08-16-2003, 12:21 PM
To everyone in the sport i refer to them as guns because they're not going to care about pc. When it comes to anyone who doesn't know what paintball is (kinda rare these days) or isn't in the sport i refer to it as a marker just to start them off on the right foot.

meph- hehe very good point with customs.

DWill
08-16-2003, 12:51 PM
I use marker around my dad, marker around my mom, and marker around people who think I am a violent psychopath for playing paintball. When I'm around friends or just being lazy (like on this forum typing gun instead of marker is much much easier) I just use gun. But I do agree that saying marker around people not supportive of paintball will give them one less reason to try to ban it, because if we aren't saying its a gun, then we don't think it is a gun.

WillyWonka
08-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Does that mean that mechanics now have to call them 'grease dispensing devices' instead of grease gun?

There was a gun in WW2 called the "Grease" Gun. So changing that might not be too bad of an idea...I personally think it would be ridiculous, but someone else might not.

As for calling them markers or guns, who gives two hoots in hell, call it what you want as long as we can still play the game.

KornKamp02
08-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Who gives a rat's ***. I call them whatever I want as long as I play. They can't outlaw paintball...can they? :eek:

TheAmazingJelloMag
08-16-2003, 03:41 PM
I really don't think it's that big a deal it a personal choice.

I say tomato you say tomaato

Meph
08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
You say tomato I say Tomaato

You say Canada I say American Junior

And..... something something. I forget the rest of the song.

:D

minnimag
08-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by KornKamp02
Who gives a rat's ***. I call them whatever I want as long as I play. They can't outlaw paintball...can they? :eek:

sadly they can, and have tried...

logamus
08-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Heat

I call them weapons of mass destruction!!

so thats how saddam got away with it.