PDA

View Full Version : Spraypainting / Powdercoating at home??

APowers365
08-17-2003, 03:04 AM
OK, I tried spraypainting one of my extra SF mag bodies, and well, not luck. If I touch it hard enough I can leave a fingerprint and I can move the paint if I push it with my finger. Is there anyway to get a somewhat reliable spraypainting? I did a search on here to find answers, and some people said you couldn't and others said you could, so I'm confused.

How long are you supposed to leave the primer on?? I only left it on for like 10 minutes before painting it. Somebody said they let the primer dry for 3 days before painting it (??).

I also read something about powdercoating at home?? I have no idea if this is true and if it is, how you do it, so if you know please tell me.

Thanks.

FooTemps
08-17-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by APowers365
OK, I tried spraypainting one of my extra SF mag bodies, and well, not luck. If I touch it hard enough I can leave a fingerprint and I can move the paint if I push it with my finger. Is there anyway to get a somewhat reliable spraypainting? I did a search on here to find answers, and some people said you couldn't and others said you could, so I'm confused.

How long are you supposed to leave the primer on?? I only left it on for like 10 minutes before painting it. Somebody said they let the primer dry for 3 days before painting it (??).

I also read something about powdercoating at home?? I have no idea if this is true and if it is, how you do it, so if you know please tell me.

Thanks.

Don't even bother with spraypainting it. Yeah, it'll work, but it won't last like powdercoating. You can make it at home if you have the right stuff.

APowers365
08-17-2003, 03:37 AM
I wasn't looking to have a permanent paint job with the spraypaint. I knew spraypaint wouldn't last long, but I thought it would be cool to spray it, play with it for awhile, and then strip it off and spray it a new color. But what I got was total crap and wouldn't even last in my gear bag on the way to go play.

As for powdercoating, obviously u can do it at home if you have the right stuff. But which stuff would that be??

Benfica4ever
08-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Well i dont know why yours did that you should use restolium paint.

When i painted my mainbody i left the primer on over night.
I was using automotive primer.

You should give it a few caots of paint. juust mist the first coat.

Even doing that that paintbal does chip.
Ill paint it for a good price ;)

Bad_Dog
08-17-2003, 11:14 AM
here's what I used on my other mag, its thick, doesn't scratch too easily, lasts awhile, and when it did come off... it chipped off which made it easy to remove it all...

I just sold the mag I used it on, so I cant show you any pictures of it... sry:(

Bad_Dog
08-17-2003, 11:18 AM
heres what it seys on the can...

nuthugger
08-17-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.eastwoodco.com/department.asp?dep_key1=hct&SKW=FHCOAT This is a link to Eastwood they sell a powdercoating system for home use. I have it and it works prety good using there powder. I use tiger Drylac powder and it works beter. You could also find a local powder coating shop and have them do it. I doubt it would be expensive.

APowers365
08-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Which kit would that be?? And how much is it??

nuthugger
08-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Hotcoat Original Powder Coating Gun w/2lb Hopper
item no: 10398
Price: $199.99
That is the one I use at home. One thing to remember. You need an electric oven dedicated to powdercoating. That is an issue you need to address also.

shinobidice
08-19-2003, 09:41 PM
If you wish to spray paint your mag body, since i have and i know what i was doing (not saying you didnt) just all i can stress is

MANY LIGHT COATS ARE BETTER THAN 1 HEAVY COAT!

so also let them dry! like spray 1 coat so you can still see the grey body but its speckled with paint, then go inside and read ao, do your homework, eat or whatever youd do, in like 15 mins to a half hour, another lgiht coat, then repeat. mine took over 3 days, and its worth it, if i had pics id show you, its a chameleon green to blue minimag

cheetah256
08-19-2003, 11:36 PM
like nuthugger said, you have to have an electric over, just for powdercoating. after you use it for powdercoating, you can't use it for anything else.