PDA

View Full Version : Which Automag upgrades?

deker
08-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi All,

I have an AutoMag which I purchased in 1991 which is completely original (no mods what-so-ever).

I've just started playing paintball again and was about to invest in a new gun when I stumbled here (I really didn't think people would be using these guns anymore!).

What mods do I need to get this gun up to date (it's been in hiding for at least 6 years and will need an overhaul anyway!).

I live in the UK and I seem to remember having problems with it due to our weather.

Thanks for your time

Dek

Z-man
08-17-2003, 04:25 PM
You should send off your Mag to AGD and have them overhaul it for that flat fee they charge (just go to the www.airgun.com website and request a return authorization #). Also if you decide that you are going to get some of the many upgrades available now, you can order them at the same time and have AGD install and finetune them along with your Mag (makes life that much simpler).

If you get cold weather (I would imagine that is a yes) then even if you get no upgrades for your Mag you wanna get outfitted with some HPA. They are pretty cheap nowadays and you can get a nice 68ci 3000 tank for what.... like around $100 US dollars.

You may be satisfied with that alone. but among the more popular upgrades are:

#1- LVL 10 (aka "LX"). this new front end and new bolt design makes chopping virtually impossible. You can still have breacks in the breach but even when doing things like this (shameless me promo):

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98059

Then there are a range of "preferential upgrades.

Intelliframes-nice 2 finger trigger

Y-Grip- similar to the Z-Grip it's forward angled intelliframe for those of you who play withg the gun up high and don't like cocking your arm around.

ULTrigger-much lighter trigger pull

ULE Bodies- Nice light aluminum bodies that give you cocker threads (no more 1/4 Mag barrels) and vert feed tube)

Beyond that, if you are experienceing shootdown on your classic valve (because you are so stinking fast on the trigger, but not likely) you might do the X-valve upgrade wich comes with the LX. You can trade in your classic valve for $100 off the cost.

But you really need to try them out first had to see if you like them. Chances are that you will like amyn of them but taking my word on it and not trying them out is like gambling so find some UK guy who has some if this stuff. There are quite a few as I understand.

cgrieves
08-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey deker, I was in exactly the same situation- I upgraded my 'Mag bit by bit until I had all the original bits spare, which I then sold as a complete gun.

I've recently bought an X-Mag so I have a Retro Valve with level 10 (same performance as the X-Valve but 3 Ounces heavier) and a Hyperframe (electronic trigger Frame) for sale, amongst other bits and pieces and I'm in the UK.

I've got a classified ad up at:

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22544

Let me know if you're interested :)