PDA

View Full Version : ASA slicing o-rings

Halliday
08-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I have a simple duckbill ASA on my newest Retro Mag. When I unscrew my Crossfire 68/30 stub tank, the o-ring gets chewed up. It's like somehow the tank theading inside the ASA slices the o-ring.

Any suggestions on how to stop this, other than just buying a new ASA?

Grasshopper
08-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Oil the ASA nice and good, and make sure you screw in the tank completely straight. Other than that, I can't really think of much.

misfit
08-17-2003, 11:06 PM
usually that happens when you dont unscrew the tank completely. like if you unscrew it then screw it back in a turn, then finish taking it out, it cuts the o ring try to take it out all at once, same goes when screwing it in

Halliday
08-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Oil: done it
Unscrewing: I don't mess with my tanks like that. On or off, no unscrewing 1/2 way to stop the flow.

Hummm....

Tunaman
08-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Check the inside for burrs. Take a piece of 600 grit paper and smooth things out in there. Knock the sharp edges off the threads. I have seen many like this...soketimes it works...sometimes it doesnt. You might have to toss it and try another.

GoatBoy
08-18-2003, 06:12 PM
My ASA does this too, but only on my crappy System-X tank. I think it's not the duckbill's fault -- the tank is the one out of spec I think.

I generally just put some oil on there, and screw the tank on fairly gently. And then I leave it on for the day; if it's nitro, don't even bother taking it off the gun until you're ready to break the gun down and store it or something.

Halliday
08-18-2003, 09:48 PM
600 paper: I'll do that tomorrow.
HPA: Yeah, just leave it on all day. Sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks all.

DocRocker
08-23-2003, 05:36 PM
I put the o ring in first (flat in the ASA) and then screw in the tank. that way there or no threads ever in contact. I do have to screw the tank in a little more to make sure the pin valve gets pushed all the way though.

Halliday
08-23-2003, 11:38 PM
O-ring trick: Tried it, and it does not work.

Tank/ASA spec: I got ahold of a PMI 68/30 fiber tank, and it won't fit on my "good" ASA but works fine on the one that cut's o-rings. Guess I'll have to keep it for those strange tanks.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
08-25-2003, 12:10 AM
I had the same problem with my Dye Cradle..since it was made out of aluminum it has gotten a burr in it. I took it out with sandpaper..good to go now