PDA

View Full Version : Paint removing anno?

JimmyOOOOO
08-18-2003, 10:05 AM
I played at a local indoor field this weekend that uses Severe paint (green shell/white fill). I got out of there kind of late, so I just did a quick wipedown of my marker (2001 LCD). When I went to clean it this morning, I noticed there were several spots where the paint had taken the anno off! It also appears to have stripped some of the paint off my NW high rise.

Have any of you heard of this happening before? What steps do you think I should take to get it fixed?

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/26274/p/441210_5001230853059241771_vl.jpg

JimmyOOOOO
08-18-2003, 10:06 AM
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/26274/p/441211_399142940781716401_vl.jpg

JimmyOOOOO
08-18-2003, 10:07 AM
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/26274/p/441212_2374328513670355895_vl.jpg

magman007
08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
yesm thayt happened to my SFL as well.... I was quite pissed. Luckily its going in for re anno soon.... but im still pissed. I know for a fact that shouldnt happen, and that means there is something in the paint powerful enough to do that, which means that the paint is probabally not safe

BaD InTeNTiOnS
08-18-2003, 01:32 PM
what kind of Severe paint? storm cyclone? i use Severe hurricane in my speed and had no probs!!

JimmyOOOOO
08-18-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Storm ... whatever their cheap rec-ball stuff is.

Took my gun in to the shop today and the owner agreed with me that it was definitely the paint that did it. He said he was going to try and work with Severe to get my marker re-anno'd...

we'll see

JimmyOOOOO
08-19-2003, 07:46 AM
anybody else have similar problems with Severe paint?

TAG
08-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Im gonna move this into the general discussion forum so you can get more input.

50 cal
08-19-2003, 12:26 PM
It may have been the acetate sealer for the anno was affected by the paint. If the acetate sealer is gone, your anno will be affected.

JimmyOOOOO
08-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TheAngelGuy.com
Im gonna move this into the general discussion forum so you can get more input.

Thanks Bob ! :D

Originally posted by 50 cal
It may have been the acetate sealer for the anno was affected by the paint. If the acetate sealer is gone, your anno will be affected.

hrmm... curious. A possibility, but not likely due to the fact that the paint not only tore up the anno on my gun (in a very spotty manner), but on the outside AND inside of my feedneck as well.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/26274/p/442974_5949084633489530334_vl.jpg

magman007
08-19-2003, 06:44 PM
I was using storm as well. If you find that Severe is willing to re anno the marker, please let me know, as i would like compensation as well. I did not think much of it, i thoght the spots on my sfl were just normal wear and tear, but then i saw this and thought, he is right, i used that paint, and i got the same results, only my spots appear to be darker. Almost like a mildew spot, but when i rub it, nothing happens. please keep me updated. Jimmy000000 do you have AIM or MSN:?

-=Squid=-
08-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure to stay clear of that severe crap.

p.s. that high rise isnt cobra, its NW. Its EXACTLY identicle to mine (well, mines chrome) with the O-rings and all. Unless I am some how wrong? :confused:

LongDuckDong
08-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah dude.. it's called PAINTball, not ACIDball...

hehehe

FalconGuy016
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
That sucks a lot. Could you tell me if its the cheap kind? Because I may be getting their cyclone soon

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
08-19-2003, 08:10 PM
now im afraid to take my Xmag out...i might end up against some kid with that kind of paint... :(

magman007
08-19-2003, 08:17 PM
I believe it was severe storm, the FP nor the standard, nore the cyclone has done that to my gun in the past, the storm now, apparently has

JimmyOOOOO
08-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Edited because what VanGogo said makes sense ;)

VanGogo
08-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey guys as a anodizer and field operator that uses Severe, I am interested to see what really happened. i.e. If it was one batch that had some bad chems in the paint or what. I have been selling and using Severe for 2 years, and have never seen this from any of their products. There would have to be some really basic or an acid chem in the paint (like lye) to strip any anodizing. The sealer closes the pores in the oxidize layer, it is not a clear coat, and would not have a reaction with anything. Those spots etc look like stripper was on the pieces. I would also think that Severe would never intentionally put anything in their paint formula which could cause this. Maybe a mislabeled chemical from their suppliers or similar mistake caused this. Not being a paint manufacturer I cannot say.
I can say though, the best way to handle this problem is not in a public forum unless you have no other recourse, or have not recieved a satisfactory response from the manufacturer.
You guys have already stated you have not contacted Severe yet. Before you post anymore contact them.
I also would not blame Severe for the legal action you heard from some one else they might do if you posted information about this publicly, because you do not know how this happened and neither do they untill they get more info to track down the problem. What if some one trying to sabotage the company ( a rival, or disgruntled employee) did this??
Also, any one wishing to get a new ano job reads this post, splashes lye on his marker, then calls severe for a new ano job. Where will you be then??
Any way, I can appreciate your being upset that this has happened, and I agree with you the problem should be corrected, but I think you need to try the proper channels before posting publicly, and causing more problems for yourself than might be necessary.

magman007
08-20-2003, 08:12 PM
vangogo i completely understand where you are comming from, I had used Severe down in chile for a year, and i never had a problem with it, so i wasnt weary to using Storm, knowing that severe was usually a great paint. Now while my batch was a lil hard, i can forgive that, and say that the paint was shooting well

I noticed that the spots were on there when i went to go and clean my marker off. I thought it was just dried paint, and tried to scrub it off, little did i know, it wouldnt come off.

Im letting jimmy0000 take care of this, and he had said that others have contacted him with the same symptoms. After this all gets handled, then we can go from there. I also agree taking care of this on a public forum is not the best idea, but we have found out that we are not the only ones to experience this problem.

thanks for your post vangogo, and thank you for re assuring our suspicions that there was probabally something bad in the paint.

the thing that scares me, is if this can happen to annodized aluminum, what will it do to human skin? or if ingested by accident?

Derman2k
08-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by magman007
or if ingested by accident?

Hmm...maybe I should stop tasting paint...:eek: ;)

VanGogo
08-21-2003, 04:10 AM
Magman I was not reassuring anyone about anything. I was merely trying to make a point that no one knows what has happened, and you should make this inquiry privately with Severe since you have come to the conclusion it was the paint. I was merely using what information you gentlemen had provided, and saying "what if" this and "what if" that to make my point. What if you all had bad ano jobs and wanted new ones and came up with a way to get them free? Just joking, but do you get my point now?
Saying things like what if someone ingested it etc.when you don't know exactly how it happened can cause a public scare and get you sued.
My point was and is BE SMART!!

Schools out.............

MarkM
08-22-2003, 11:43 AM
I have read the other replys to this initial post and apparently all is now well and steps are being taken to rectify the problem...well done to all the people concerned...I say anymore I will be stepping on toes but drop the shouting guys as this has been resolved ;) the ball started to be rolled when I linked to this thread from elsewhere and some people then became aware of this. I do agree the public nature of Forums "can" be seen as a negative way of doing things but as it turns out not in this case.

Ronin 23
08-22-2003, 01:59 PM
We have previously had a problem with a marker that feature the "Diamond Dust" finish. The particular culprit that we suspected was the Diablo paint that we shot at a local tournament. It resulted not only the the peeling of the markers' surface but also resulted in some pitting.

After further investigation, what we discovered was that yes there was a certain mysterious component in the paint that did not appear in the MSDS. We, at that time, have also shot various brands of paint including RP, Severe, System-X and other lesser known brands and never had a problem with them.

We also discovered that the quality of the extrusion's aluminum may have been less than top flight. This was according to several anodizers/metal finishers that we have consulted. Another possibility is that the bath that the metal finishers may have used was contaminated with a foreign substance.

In any case there could be a multitude of reasons. Either by itself or a combination of several other factors, the substance that are in the paint mixture may or may not have resulted in this 'peeling' and hopefully you can get to the bottom of this.

Please keep us inform of any new developments.

Best regards,
/s/ Mel C. Maravilla

JimmyOOOOO
09-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Hopefully I will get a chance to talk to Eric from Severe tomorrow and get a final resolution... I'll post and let you guys know how it goes.

jpdgas
09-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Severe was used at a scenario i attended. it performed great, especially considering it was 106 degrees and very humid in bakersfield.

However, i now have 2 small spots on my black mini where the paint was allowed to sit for about an hour (sorry no pics) you can hardly see them, but im picky. I have also had paint stain goggles and warp feed shells in addition to paint eating spraypaint (i camo painted my spyer, hehe)

Angry Man
09-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Some RPS paint really screwed up the chrome on something I owned.

GALLI2006
09-06-2003, 03:58 PM
On my LPR on my timmy has those lil mildew looking spots. I bought it used and didnt think anything of it but it is defiatly from that paint because its in lil blotches and its the same color.

angelbeast24
11-01-2003, 07:36 PM
that happened to me too i was playing with severe at a tourny and i put my gun down (we had a 3 hour wait) and i thoguth all my paint was off it but i was wrong i went into my breech and the ano was eaten right off and around my feed tube also i was pissed off but i did send it in to get re anod whick i was looking forward to n e way but whos to say that this what happen again

Mag Master 04
11-02-2003, 12:14 AM
i thought this happened to my ULE body and my Ultralight but it turned out it was just some of the oils that just were set in that one spot, i sat anr rubbed it out for like 30 mins and i finaly got it all off, i was soo set that the anno was spotted but it wastn