PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

MiniMag84
08-18-2003, 12:29 PM
I just saw it on HBO 5 minutes ago. I'm really confused. I think I only missed like 10 minutes of the beginning but I feel like I'm missing something. Frank came from the future and saved him. But then he spent the rest of the movie waiting so that he could go back in time and die? I'm really lost. Help me.

-Carnifex-
08-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Donnie saved you world!

MiniMag84
08-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I just saw it again and I think i understand it a little better. In the end Donnie went back in time to save everyone. But how does he go back in time to do so? I understand the whole engine going through time bit and I know that he didn't want to die alone, thus going back to die. But how does he just magically go back to past, before the engine hits?

Splat
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Very confusing movie, untill I watched it the second time.

Donnie was given a choice.

Choice #1: NOT get killed by plane engine, fall in love with girl, girl dies
choice #2: GET killed by plane engine, girl never knew you existed, but lives.

Once I figured that out I was like "OOOOoooohhh"

But a VERY good movie. I would suggest buying it.

WickeDKlowN
08-18-2003, 04:40 PM
yea, that movie straight mind-fxck'd me the first time i watched it, but I think I get it now. I keep meaning to get it on DVD when I go to best buy so I can watch it again(or a few more times) lol.

Splat
08-18-2003, 04:47 PM
I still can't figure out Mullhuland Drive.

That movie is a mind fck

darklord
08-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Good movie for the price, I picked up the DVD for like 10 bucks at Best Buy a few months ago.

MiniMag84
08-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Never seen Mullhuland Drive. Is it anything like Donnie Darko?

cris8762
08-18-2003, 06:55 PM
WTF LOL!!!

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96969&highlight=darko

SG Avenger
08-18-2003, 07:30 PM
You didn't really post that a week ago, you time traveled back to post it just so you can create controversey! you fake!

[grin] that is pretty trippy.

Mickster
08-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Really good movie, watched it the other day.

My interpretations were that it was the end of the world in 28 days(or how many it was) for Donnie however if he had died when the engine hit him he would have died sooner and caused less death. Well thats how i seen it.

Was it on general release in the states because i dont remember it being in the cinema in the UK, think its a bit of a cult film, and only heard out about it via a friend telling me to watch it.

painball
03-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I just watched this movie. It was VERY good. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. It isn't really scary, but more the type that makes you think a lot, like the Matrix, but 100x more.

There are many different explanations of what happened in my opinion. Donnie could have done it to save the people, but the more *confusing* explanation is this:

In primary universe, jet engine falls through wormhole, creates a tangent universe. In the tangent universe, there are 2 jet engines, which is bad. Both universes cannot exist for long or they will both explode or something, hence the "end of the world" thing at the beginning.

The part where the rabbit, whos name doesn't come to mind, saves donnie is when the tangent universe is created. The rabbit guy is actually guiding Donnie to save the universe.

So he saves Donnie and gets him to do things like learn about time travel, kill himself (if he didn't die in the tangent universe he wouldn't be able to guide donnie and play god), and at the end sent the engine back to the primary universe.

It's rather complicated to think about, but the official site (donniedarko.com) provides clues and such to help you create an understanding better.

I don't think I explained how I perceived it very well, but that doesn't really matter.

Watch it! Great movie! If you are lazy like me...*coughdownloadcough* ;)

Havoc_online
03-23-2004, 01:38 PM
it's a mad world.... :p

painball
03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
I just watched it again. It mind farks me every time. :cool:

cris8762
03-23-2004, 09:01 PM
holy crap, the website is blowing my mind, too much stuff to figure out!!

painball
03-23-2004, 09:12 PM
The website explains everything pretty well in great detail once you add all of the pieces it gives you together. Once you read the Philosophy of Time Travel or whatever it's called, you will realize the roles of some of the characters. *coughfrankcough*

I don't get the other stuff such as the dying alone thing and how the engine ended up in the tangent universe in the first place. It is obvious it didn't travel through time as in the primary universe it was supposed to fall at the same time along with the plane.

Well it's a movie so I guess it doesn't have to all add up, but it bothers the hell outta me.

cris8762
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
i had thought that the plane went through a "wormhole" and sheared off the engine that proceeded to hit the house

painball
03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
I think the plane engine in the primary universe went through the wormhole at the end of Oct. (same time Donnie sends it back). So it travels back in time and lands in Donnies room in the tangent universe. Then in the tangent universe, Donnie sent the engine back to the primary at the end of Oct. and it landed in his room at the beginning of Oct in the primary universe.

So at the end I guess there would be a plane somewhere in the world without an engine, and the engine in Donnies room. Both nowhere near each other most likely.

It also drives me crazy how he could have just gotten up and continued his life normally in the primary universe without killing anyone. Nobody's life rests in his arms at the end.

Of course this doesn't all piece together perfectly as the original engine didn't get sent back, but another, which wasn't actually the missing "piece" of the primary universe.

I hate how I always need an explanation for EVERYTHING. Any movie, book, etc. that doesn't leave you with a good ending or explanation of everything just stays in my mind until I can figure it out. :( Call me crazy.