PDA

View Full Version : U MUST read about the worst thing about to happen to paintbal smart parts( must read)

magmasta1234
08-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Just recently reading this has brought me to a total decision, no smart parts!read on-

Read this:
Smart Parts to Patent Electronic Markers
posted on Jul 22, 2003 - 11:05 AM by gmflash

According to this thread on the Brass Eagle Owners Group, and this thread at AutoMags.org, Smart Parts is attempting to broaden its patents and patent any electronically powered marker. This could be fatal to some companies currently manufacturing electronic markers.

This is a quote from a person going by the name Dock Nickel:

In the early eighties, Bob Gurnsey passed up a chance to patent all paintball- the very idea of the game- since it would stifle the nascent sport and keep it from growing.

In the late eighties, Tippmann declines to patent the CO2 tank "pin valve", since doing so would prevent it's widespread use and adoption, and Tippmann knew it was far safer and more useful than any of the other cobbled options players were using.

A year or two later, Glenn Palmer passes up the chance to patent pneumatic automation- the method by which an Autococker, Typhoon and Blazer work. He wasn't interested in keeping a stranglehold on the idea, and wanted to see it used and improved.

In the very early nineties, FASTech declines to fight PMI over the stacked-valve blowback semiauto patent. This opens the door to low-cost semiautos, which by themselves are singularly responsible for a major percentage of paintball's growth through the ninties.

About that same time, Tom Kaye refuses to patent the regulated nitrogen system, since he felt it was a superior power source over CO2. Without the HPA systems, our current high-speed, high-ROF markers and ultra-stable regulators simply wouldn't have worked.

And now, now we have Smart Parts. Smart Parts wants to patent the very idea of using electricity in any manner to fire a paintball.

What does this mean? Cash. Raw greed. Smart Parts is looking to literally corner the market. If the patent goes through as declared, every manufacturer that makes an electric or electronic paintball gun will have to pay SP royalties on each marker produced. Or pay a licensing fee, or whatever SP decides they want to do.

A thread over on Automags.Org hints that SP might ask a cool million bucks for the licensing fee, and $75 per unit on top of that.

Know what that means? That means the fees come from YOU, the player. Increased costs of manufacturing are always passed on to the consumer. If it costs more to make it, you'll pay more for it in the store.

Let's take an example: Let's say ICD estimates they'll sell 20,000 Bushmasters in the next couple of years. We know a Bushy costs about $400 now, give or take. That million-dollar fee adds $50 per unit right off the top, and another $75 means that, with ZERO other changes, the cost of a Bushmaster just went up $125.

How about $1,300 Angel Speeds? Or $1,800 IR3s. $500 E-Spyders. $1,900 Intimidators. $600 Black Draguns.

That $1,600 Lasoya Timmy? They're not gonna sell 20,000 of 'em. They might sell 400. That's $2,500 in licensing fees before you even buy the marker. Think that a $4,175 marker will be good for the sport?

But, of course, SP will have $450 Impulses and $750 Shockers.

This, boys and girls, is what's known as a Monopoly. Ask Bill Gates and the US Justice Department- and Apple Computers- if a Monopoly is a good thing.

Our carefree honeymoon is over. The days of altruistic industry greats willing to make a small sacrifice for the good of the sport, are over. Randy Kamiya used to write about small inter-industry squabbles, and his analogy was, rather than try and stab somebody in the back for a bigger share of the pie, let's work to make a bigger pie.

This is no longer good enough for Smart Parts. They want a bigger pie, and more of it. Electros are the fastest-growing segment of the sport right now, mainly thanks to the recent advent of the low-cost "sear tripper" electro-blowbacks. For the first time, a player can buy a pretty decent electro for a pretty decent price, and actually have a good marker.

Is SP looking at that, seeing the dropoff in Shocker sales- their self-described "flagship" marker- and sales of their Impulse- which is commonly considered a midrange electro which needs several upgrades, such and an LPR, to be tournament ready- being undercut by the Bushmaster, the Defiant, even the Intimidator, as well as the fleets of entry-level sear-trippers?

Are they looking at that, and deciding they want a bigger slice of the pie? What other explanation can there be?

Will Smart Parts be magnanimous and only charge a very small token royalty? History says otherwise- remember, after all, that SP is the company that sold two versions of the Shocker, one the standard semiauto, the other a full-auto. All the circuit boards were exactly the same, the full-auto ones just had a small microswitch soldered to preexisting contacts. For that switch, the player paid a hundred dollars or more extra.

This is the same company that drilled a hole in a plastic Armson elbow ($3 retail) stuck a length of pneumatics hose in it and called it an "Air Assist", which retailed at $35.

This is the company that deliberately used a unique barrel thread on the Shocker in order to sell more barrels. When they brough the Impulse out, it had yet another barrel thread, incompatible with anything else.

In order to sell more barrels.

I, for one, would not count on Smart Parts' charity in this matter.

I will admit I'm a fan of some of SP's products. I've always been a fan of the Max Flow HPA system. It's maintenence-intensive, but it's a very good reg. The so-called "Smart Valve" is finally a reliable, rebuildable shutoff valve for CO2 tanks, which have always been troublesome.

I've also enjoyed owning and working on Shockers and Impulses, but I'll also be the first to admit there's some serious shortcomings with both designs.

But if this goes through, I will carefully hoard my current stable of electros, and I will run full tilt back to 'Cockers. I will not in any way, shape or form, if this suit passes, buy another SP product. No Freaks, no Maxes, no All-Americans. No Shockers, no Impulses, no RASE clothes. No grips, no valves, no drops, no nothing.

And I will recommend to all who will listen to do the same. The raw, naked greed boiling off SP is a spreading stain on the sport, and I'm afraid we're all going to get a little dirty.

Doc.
:mad: smart parts sucks

Skoad
08-18-2003, 10:15 PM
i'll let the rest of AO yell at you, im too tired

Benfica4ever
08-18-2003, 10:16 PM
We already know.

There has been a bunch of threads about this.

magmasta1234
08-18-2003, 10:16 PM
why would they yell at me?

magmasta1234
08-18-2003, 10:17 PM
to the people who dont know

Benfica4ever
08-18-2003, 10:18 PM
NORmally when someone posts threads that everyone already knows about they tend to tell them with cap lock on.:)

NOt really yelling.

Python14
08-18-2003, 10:18 PM
:::sigh:::

magmasta1234
08-18-2003, 10:21 PM
whatever some people dont know

SomebodySomeoneRTPcf
08-18-2003, 10:29 PM
I agree i wont buy anymore sp stuff but im keeping my sp stuff that i already bought....just not buying anymore.....then i'll e-mail the vicepres and say how wrong his company is.... his e-mail is

vicepres@smartparts.com

NATE-DOG1
08-18-2003, 10:45 PM
yes I have heard it all before, but I like the way he laid everything out!
Good post, I agree!
However well all have to wait to see what SP actually does.
The Bastards!

Bad_Dog
08-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Rather have it posted too many times than not at all...

dansim
08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by magmasta1234
According to this thread on the Brass Eagle Owners Group, and this thread at AutoMags.org,

fcpchop
08-18-2003, 11:17 PM
im wit ya brother, if we can only get everyone to boycot sp then they would go out of buisness, wow that would be great, unlikely but great

Mag Master 04
08-18-2003, 11:18 PM
all though its old, old news, u hit it right on the head, u deffinatly did yur homework. even though i herd that same thing over and over i still learned a few things there in the process...THANKS DOC...:rolleyes:

sneakyhacker420
08-18-2003, 11:19 PM
old news buddy... and BEOG... come on! :rolleyes:

Ov3rmind
08-18-2003, 11:20 PM
LOL dansim, nice catch.

dinger
08-18-2003, 11:36 PM
from what i have heard, it sounded like ICD was trying to take SPs patent. but after reading that, i now fully understand the situation and i see that SP are being Afganistan *****es.

oh how i could so easily make use of the anti-cuss filter twards SP... SMART PARTS ARE FILTHY BASS TURDS!

WARPED1
08-19-2003, 12:19 AM
All bs and propaganda, show me documented court papers, signed by a judge.

WARPED1
08-19-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by fcpchop
im wit ya brother, if we can only get everyone to boycot sp then they would go out of buisness, wow that would be great, unlikely but great They will not go out of business if you boycott them. If what you say is true, every gun maker who makes electros will be giving a percentage of all gun sales. S even if you don't buy SP directly, when you buy that Shiny new Angel, SP will get some of that money.
This will not ruin the sport. This is what American business is based on, just because SP was smart enough to allegedly do this, don't get on thier case, get on all other companies for being lazy a sses and not doing this with thier inventions(like Tippman shoulda done with the pin valve.

Ov3rmind
08-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by dinger
from what i have heard, it sounded like ICD was trying to take SPs patent. but after reading that, i now fully understand the situation and i see that SP are being Afganistan *****es.

oh how i could so easily make use of the anti-cuss filter twards SP... SMART PARTS ARE FILTHY BASS TURDS!
Bastards isn't filtered.:rolleyes: I would advise not trying to cricumvent the filter with a worse word later on though, it could earn you a temporary ban.

Kaiser Bob
08-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by WARPED1
This is what American business is based on, just because SP was smart enough to allegedly do this, don't get on thier case, get on all other companies for being lazy a sses and not doing this with thier inventions(like Tippman shoulda done with the pin valve.

If all the companies had taken this attitude in the beginning, paintball would still be barely off the ground as far as being an industry. Tippmann would have patented their pin valves and either become a CO2 tank monopoly, making paintball costs more prohibitive, or made other companies find other ways of powering paintball guns. Same goes for AGD and all the other compainies that came out with gear that set the standard, meaning we would have dozens of methods of operation for paintguns, some probably being very unreliable and making choosing equipment too precarious for the starting paintballer that now goes to walmart to buy a aggressor package or what have you, thereby cutting the numbers of new players and overall strangling the growth of paintball. Sometimes a little benevolance to further the advancement of the sport can go a long way.

jtoothman25
08-19-2003, 12:43 AM
http://www.icedillusions.com/Anti-SP.html

From reading this link in here,

http://www.icedillusions.com/US_District_Courts.txt

I find that the whole thing is over and they lost. But maybe not. Read close to the bottom, and its from january of this year. If this is that old, then why are you STILL b!tching about this?

I emailed smart parts about 10 minutes ago, and i'll let you all know what they say.

LaW
08-19-2003, 12:52 AM
I will still buy smart parts products... Looking from abusiness perspective they are doing a smart think but for teh sport its going too far. But have we seen them going too far? No not yet, I don't think they are that stupid to ruin anything

jtoothman25
08-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Yeah.. i agree. I still have my Smart Parts Freak kit on my Emag. If they do what everyone is so scared of.. thats when I dont buy any more inserts or something....

Marek
08-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Unless they come up with something that no other company has, then I won't buy their products. The company behind the product is important, just as function and price.

IcantBelieveit
08-19-2003, 06:04 AM
Welcome to Last Month My Friend

Halliday
08-19-2003, 08:44 AM
I guess I'm ahead of my time. I have never thought of buying a Impusle. Did buy a Freak thou, but before the copyright issue.

GT
08-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by magmasta1234

This is a quote from a person going by the name Dock Nickel:

hmmmm,
I wonder if the person that wrote this is famliar with a "Dock Nickel". The only Doc Nickel I know is this guy http://www.docsmachine.com/ Incase you dont know who Doc is, he is probally one of the best machinists in the paintball world and an all around nice guy.

jb

RRfireblade
08-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Funny how everyones "heard this" and "heard that", So far "I" have only read speculation posted on internet message boards,which I do admit is probably the most reliable source,'cause no one on the Internet would post anything that wasn't backed up completely with fact.:rolleyes:

Jay.

Timmee
08-19-2003, 05:28 PM
I read this on the Tinker's guild when Doc first posted it. :D