PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes in cymbals..

EsPo
08-19-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm about to start a new project to keep me busy.

I'll be drilling 2 small holes in my china (you'll see when i'm done), and I was wondering if theres any sort of special bit to use.. or special tool.... I figured i'd just use an electric drill :shrugs:

SyntaxError
08-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Aren't you not supposed to do that??

Just wondering lol, our drummer was just telling me about how they tune cymbals at the factory.

FalconGuy016
08-19-2003, 10:14 PM
That would ruin, or change at least, the tone.

EsPo
08-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
That would ruin, or change at least, the tone.
thats the point..

Just tell me if i'm doing it right with an eletric drill or not damnit.. I got the cymbal free with a stand .. hence i dont care if i ruin it.. plus in the end it wont be ruined.. it will sound uber cool.

Bad_Dog
08-19-2003, 10:30 PM
hey, I wonder if a cymbol solo by an e or x-mag would sound cool... why doesnt someone try it:D

a drill should do the job, just be sure to make it look good, and if not, than say that whoever gave it to ya did the dirty deed;)

chizle97
08-19-2003, 10:55 PM
wel ive done this and its hard as all. first ya need to adjust your cymbol so you can drill the hole straight wich is a tak in itself. then ya have to de-burn it wich took me a long time. and my 12 crah ended up not even sounding that cool. but if you put rivots it it it makse it sound awsome

Marek
08-19-2003, 11:05 PM
I have no idea if that is good for the cymbal, since we just covered how to hold it and crash with it in Perc. Tech. class.

What drummers will do when they are bored.

FreshmanBob
08-19-2003, 11:09 PM
drilling and putting loose fitting rivets is a big jazz thing, usually on rides.

Chinas are cool cymbals, really unique sound, kind of an aquired taste though.

EsPo
08-20-2003, 08:22 AM
sounds a bit out of my reach... in case some of you dont know... china cymbals are curved, so it'd be kinda hard to make it go in straight. Whats 'deburn'?

What was going to happen was drill the hole, attatch a nut to the bottom of the hole (glue..solder), then drill a hole in a quarter a size or 2 bigger than your screw, put the quarter on a screw, then screw the screw into the nut.. thus after hitting the china, making the quarter(s) rattle around..

.bolink
08-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I believe he meant deburr...as in make smooth

EsPo
08-20-2003, 12:16 PM
meh i'll try it.. if it fails.. then i have some scratches... i'm just worried about crackage.

silentdeath55
08-20-2003, 02:26 PM
I did that to an old ride cymbal I had. It worked very well. The holes made it sound more like a crash, yet you could still ride on it. I am to tired to go take pictures of it right now, maybe later....