PDA

View Full Version : Historic Paintball Pictures

veteranmag
08-19-2003, 07:32 PM
I was cleaning out my attic when I came across some of my old paintball magazines. For you veterans out there I thought I'd share some memories.

veteranmag
08-19-2003, 07:33 PM

veteranmag
08-19-2003, 07:34 PM

veteranmag
08-19-2003, 07:34 PM
the ever-faithfull minimag

veteranmag
08-19-2003, 07:40 PM
One of the most unique markers ever made - no air source!

-=Squid=-
08-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Number 2 is definetily the best :D I wonder if the no gas source gun works well, and why nobody has really picked up on it? :confused:

FalconGuy016
08-19-2003, 08:04 PM
WGP Ranger? :)

Ov3rmind
08-19-2003, 08:06 PM
These kinds of things are always interesting to look at.

Army
08-19-2003, 08:09 PM
HA! The revolutionary Oil-Can Hoppers! I have one of those somewhere...

Abermose
08-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Take a look how much the ammo for those M85s! :eek:
And I thought paint was expensive today.

Mutilus
08-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
WGP Ranger? :)

I own 2, still. Man, I am old.

WARPED1
08-19-2003, 11:20 PM
I had an M-85. Not for PB! Shot in excess of 400 fps, used .22 caliber primers to launch a 9mm "paintball" out the barrel.

Spray Painter
08-19-2003, 11:20 PM
haha, the last shoots at 440fps

poo, warped beat me to it

-Xugg-
08-19-2003, 11:39 PM
:eek: :eek: 500$ :eek: :eek: 2000 count!!!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

jpdgas
08-20-2003, 12:31 AM
I think that might be the only time ive ever seen a smile on gramps face, thats a pretty marker hes got there though...

veteranmag
08-20-2003, 06:09 PM
6 - all decked out

veteranmag
08-20-2003, 06:10 PM

veteranmag
08-20-2003, 06:12 PM
8 - Speedball is not a recent invention

veteranmag
08-20-2003, 06:13 PM
9 - neither is the "paintball sniper"

veteranmag
08-20-2003, 06:17 PM
10 - a younger Dave Youngblood (of current DYE fame)

Ter-Me-Nate
08-20-2003, 10:33 PM
I have everyone of those issue's you just post..

O the memories,

and boy, was dave youngblood every a dork in those days, remember the silver suit he wore in his games,, i even have a old video of him somewere using that same gun...

Doc Nickel
08-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Before anyone asks, the consensus is that three-barreled Sheridan was a fake, a last-minute mockup done for laughs during the photo shoot.

It's a PMI-1 DF, with the pump removed, and two more DF or Piranha barrels just being held on the sides (look how the guy's holding it- he's literally holding it together.)

Also note the feeds- you'd think that somebody, even back then, making a three-barrel would have the center tube a center feed.

It's just a joke, not meant to be taken seriously. :D Kind of like Youngblood's goggles- they're literally spray-painted silver. Looks good, not for actual use. :)

Doc.

FalconGuy016
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
I just realized dave is wearing a suit... and a bowtie... he didnt play like that did he?

Clockwork_Orange
08-20-2003, 11:04 PM
That photo of Dave Youngblood cracks me up. He reminds me so much of Johnny from the Karate Kid...LOL http://www.dppp.net/images/smiley/smiley494.gif

Judgeman
08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
Ah yes the mid 1980's - I remember it well. <lol> I have a couple of those issues.

Yes, Paintballs were expensive then $0.15 /ball when I started playing. No wonder we kept them in 10 round tubes and shot them like they were gold plated.

And

Yes Dave Youngblood did play in a suit and tie; were talking circa Miami Vice. It was all part of his mojo.

Of course here is where my memory gets foggy. However, I believe the tripple barrel cover was inspired by "The Duce". "The Duce" was a fully functioning 2 barrel pump gun. It was built by one of the guys that played with the Wild Geese of NH.
Big Deal? Lets keep in mind there was no such thing as a semi then, heck there wasn't even "autotrigger" yet.

Ah nostalgia! Good stuff.

UThomas
08-21-2003, 10:33 AM
I use to have a deuce about 5 years ago. That thing was HEAVY. It was cool though because one barrel fired half way through the pull and the second fired at the end of the trigger pull.

Webmaster
08-21-2003, 10:48 AM
If any of you have old APGs they want to sell - drop me a line!

[email protected]

And yes - I have lots of old issues too - including Youngblood in a suit with a 22" chrome barrel with silencer on a custom carter! haha! He also used to play with a VM68, 68 special, and of course the cocker.

veteranmag
08-21-2003, 11:49 PM
aha! I found it issue No.1 of APG

skipdogg
08-22-2003, 07:55 AM
nice post. I have a few old APG's around somewhere. My second gun was a WGP Ranger. It was a very nice pump I thought. Upgraded it to a MAG though long time ago!

ogre55
08-22-2003, 09:38 AM
If I didn't know better, I would think that was a squib going off.

Ogre

Evil Bob
08-22-2003, 11:11 AM
I have read every issue of APG that you have posted here. In the 80's, it was the only magazine that was dedicated to paintball. If you were serious about playing, you read it simply because there was nothing else. Unfortunately, we ended up losing the box that had all my old copies meticulously preserved when moving back from Germany in 1993, I was majorly bummed out :(

Autotrigger was around in 1988, I had it on my Bushmaster (Line SI) pump, just hold the trigger down and pump as fast as you can, terribly inaccurate, but fun nonetheless.

The marker that Gramps is holding is the old Nightmare Ninja line from Brass Eagle.

I can remember laughing at the Golden Eagle when it came out, I thought it was the single dumbest thing that Brass Eagle had produced in it's history. All of the tourny players were using the extremely relaible AutoMag with the response trigger (fires once when you pull the trigger, fires again when you release it) in 1992 when the Golden Eagle made it's entrance, it was so hillarious. We even played against a team that was completely outfitted with Golden Eagles at the First French Open, can't remember they're name, but they were sponsored by Brass Eagle. They had a pretty funny opinion of their markers: "Yeah mate, we've got to shoot fast and hard off the break, we never know when these pieces of crap are going to break on us." Look at the eagle closely, see where the loader attaches? So that big crappy heavy bulk was mostly just that... bulk.

The first bulk loader I ever saw was in 1985, it was a Penzoil 10w40 oil can feeding a PGP, saw a few brake fluid bulk loaders as well. A couple years later it evolved into PVC pipe and then got really silly with the race for bragging rights in producing the biggest loader on the market, which lead to "The Whaler" which held 600+ rounds and added 5 pounds to your marker.

The M85 had a very short lived paintball experience, mainly because its rounds were so small that they were terribly inaccurate at anything over 50 feet, the same problem that the SMG60 and the crossman pistol suffered, not enough mass to break at range. There were also stories of the M85 being adapted to shoot real ammunition, which is always a bad thing when selling them to minors and adults "who like to play war games".

Yes, Dave Youngblood used to wear a suit and everyone used to shoot him including his own team. "Hey, who's the dork in the suit?" "Dunno, but I want to shoot him." "He's on your team." "So? What's that matter?" The jacket he is wearing was for a player party at the end of a big tourny, don't quite remeber which tourny at the time, but there were several well known players there who had these jackets specially made for the players party, they did look pretty cool all together, which was what Dave was all about, if it was cool and it would make you stand out, he was there doing it.

I love that guys face mask in the first issue, he looks like he came off the cover of an Iron Maiden albumn. Back then (82-87) most people played with $5 dollar shop goggles just like the blond in the first pic posted. Back then you were lucky to get hit only once all day, and it was usually in the back when you were running away from a big group of people baring down on you. Paint was EXTREMELY expensive, so you tended to conserve it. Seeing masks like this were the exception and not the norm.

Snipers... thats what all the new plaeyrs said, they were snipers. That's usually the role everyone new to the sport took as they were deathly afraid of getting shot. Then they played got shot and realized that it didn't hurt all that much and that they got alot more action by running around then camping in a tree for an hour or two waiting for someone to show up so they could snipe them. Yeah, we had guys wearing ghilli suits back in 1982, in the days where you had a bolt action marker that held 5 rounds where mobility was extremely important because you had effectively only one shot. You forced the other guy to shoot and miss then ran up on them and shot them at close range so you wouldn't miss. The guys with the ghilli suits usually only wore then once or twice and then started playing the high mobility game once they realized why there were getting pasted over and over again.

Yeah, looks like a squib, but it's not, if you look closely, you can see the elastic band that is attached to the soccer shin guard that is under the sleeve, it was done to guarrantee that the paintball breaks as that is a tough angle and had a high possibility of bouncing. Just like Dave Youngblood's picture with the silver spray painted goggles, its for the picture. Red paint was a very popular color in the 80's because it simulated blood. As the sport started to divest itself of the "weekend warrior" "war games", red was changed out for other colors because it simulated blood and was a safty concern, you couldn't tell if someone was actually hurt or if it was just paint.

Ah the memories. Man, I'm feeling old now...

-Evil Bob