PDA

View Full Version : video card problem

e mag
08-20-2003, 06:42 PM
I just got my radeon 9800 AIW and when I try to run counterstrike or 3dmark my screen looks like this. How can I fix this? I installed all the right drivers.

behemoth
08-20-2003, 06:59 PM
IDK, but in guessing you have to config the new card to CS's vid settings ;)

e mag
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
I put it on open gl, and that shouldn't matter for 3d mark anyway.

impostal22
08-20-2003, 11:25 PM
did you uninstall the orig drivers first and then reboot and THEN install new ones? if you don't do that, it tends to really make your comp go fritzy...like, well that lol.

AutoMaggot
08-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Yeah, you need to kill your old drivers. My 8500 did the same thing!

MantisMag
08-21-2003, 09:42 PM
and from what i hear you can't just uninstall either. you have to clean up ALL the files.

e mag
08-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by AutoMaggot
Yeah, you need to kill your old drivers. My 8500 did the same thing!
how do i do that, i tried uninstalling everything, rebooting and then reinstalling but that didnt work? do i have to delete stuff from the registry? i'm, just going to reinstall xp.

MarkM
08-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Depends where you tried to delete them from. You have to delete through add/remove programs for the drivers...you will find the old and the new ones in there and then go to device manager and delete the graphics card and you will then be forced to restart then xp will find the card and ask for the new drivers.....if it don't work then your registry will need pruning, or start from scratch ie total reinstall, which actually wouldn't be too bad an idea as a clean install will be good. Don't forget a good AV/Firewall...but then as you did it wrong the first time this just could be the price......pc's are not as plug and play as they are advertised to be you have to remove things first....if you aren't sure you should ask...before you do something as major as this next time.

e mag
08-25-2003, 02:30 PM
I knew what I was doing, and removed them from add/remove programs the first time. This also happened with a radeon 7200 that I was using, with the latest drivers. For the 9800 I first used the drivers that came on the cd and then used the ones from ATI's site but neither worked. I found the driver for my monitor and installed that too, so I don't think that is the problem. It's an lcd and i'm using the DVI conection if that matters, I haven't been able to try s-video because i'm at college and won't be able to get one for awhile. Could it be a problem with the AGP speed? i'm pretty sure both my mobo (asus p4c800) and the 9800 support 8x.

MantisMag
08-25-2003, 03:19 PM
taken from another forum

Uninstall Procedure

You'll want to download Regcleaner for this.

Uninstall all drivers(Display, Control Panel, MMC)

Reboot

Now use the search feature and look for ati*.*(use detailed viewing mode)

Delete all "Windows\System files"
Delete the "C:\ATI" folder
Delete the "ATI Technologies" folder
Delete the "ATI Control Panel" folder

Run Reg cleaner and clear all ATI entries

Reboot

e mag
08-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag
taken from another forum

Uninstall Procedure

You'll want to download Regcleaner for this.

Uninstall all drivers(Display, Control Panel, MMC)

Reboot

Now use the search feature and look for ati*.*(use detailed viewing mode)

Delete all "Windows\System files"
Delete the "C:\ATI" folder
Delete the "ATI Technologies" folder
Delete the "ATI Control Panel" folder

Run Reg cleaner and clear all ATI entries

Reboot
I'll try that tomorrow after my classes but I don't think it will work. I tried reinstalling XP and using the drivers from the cd and that didn't work, so I think it may be some problem between the mobo and card. I guess I'll try calling ATI tomorrow.

MantisMag
08-25-2003, 11:18 PM
ah, guess not then. they should be compatible. you may have a fried board. or maybe your directX drivers? could even be your RAM. just throwing out some ideas here...