PDA

View Full Version : Palmer's Stab w/HPA and HPA Recommends

clubjdh
08-20-2003, 06:45 PM
I've been away from the game for a little while now, and had a few tech-related questions. I have a regular, old-school powerfed Mag that I use with a Palmer Stabilizer mounted vertically as a grip/reg. I have been using co2...up to now, and I want to take the leap into HPA/N2. My questions are: 1. Can I keep my reg in its current spot, and simply reconnect the line to a drop forward? 2. What drop forwards have worked well in a similar configuration? 3. Finally (and most importantly), which HPA systems would get the best performance out of my marker? I am going to upgrade to a Retro valve probably next month, so the co2 will be banished to my loaner markers as I make mine better. If you also have a used, but in good condition, entry HPA system, I'm also very interested. Thanks a ton for the help.

Dayspring
08-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Welcome to AO.

Now, down to business.

Running CO2 with the reg was a good thing. HOWEVER, when you switch to HPA, you want to ditch the reg. It can introduce flow problems and possible shootdown. (read- bad things)

So get a gas through grip once you hit the HPA. The tank itself is a regulator and the gun has a built in one. No need for another one.

FreakBaller12
08-20-2003, 09:31 PM
look in the buy sell trade section under tanks
i bet u can lower the price with that reg. if u trade it;)

clubjdh
08-20-2003, 09:40 PM
I already have a gas through grip laying around in my box-o-spare parts, so I'll just switch them up...any recommendations on sizes/brands of tanks that just seem to work better? (I'm thinking 68/45 at a min since I will be playing in the boonies of NW Florida) If I get a preset tank, should I leave the Stabilizer on to act as the initial reg? Or yank it off and spend the extra $$$ on a tank with a regulator on it? Thanks for the help!

Dayspring
08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Yank it. You don't want another reg on it. gun and tank. That's it.

clubjdh
08-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Ok, Stabilizer is going onto my ever-morphing collection of stuff...in regards to the regs, I'm looking at a Crossfire or Armageddon 68/45 with a drop forward for the balance. Any better ideas or comments on how I should set it up?

FreshmanBob
08-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Having another reg can cause problems but the stabilizer is pretty high flow. Personally I like taking out the reg piston in the AIR valve and using the stabilizer for velocity ajustment. That also makes it easier to set up the level 10 because the guns reg won't vent.

Also, my velocity is generally +/- 2 or 3.

xen_100
08-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by FreshmanBob
Having another reg can cause problems but the stabilizer is pretty high flow. Personally I like taking out the reg piston in the AIR valve and using the stabilizer for velocity ajustment. That also makes it easier to set up the level 10 because the guns reg won't vent.

Also, my velocity is generally +/- 2 or 3.

I hope you mean you take out the valve pin. if you reomve the reg piston you will vent ALL gas to atmosfere when you gas up.

clubjdh
08-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Ok, just got done with some upgrading :D and wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations or warnings on what my mag is morphing into. I decided to get rid of the Stabilizer in favor of a gas-thru grip, so that's a dead issue. What I'm going to have now is this: standard powerfed mag, lapco 12" autospirit, picked up a chrome gas-thru from Palmer's, chrome Palmer's drop forward with an on/off, 88/4500 preset tank/reg, and I splurged this afternoon for a chrome Intelliframe. So it's going to be shiny, I think. I still have my original bolt and valve in the back, and was curious what you guys thought would be next in the endless upgrading scheme. Thanks for the input!

Dayspring
08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Xvalve!

clubjdh
08-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I had thought about that...the X-Valve already has the level 10 done to it, right? If so...I might just have to do a little purchasing some the beginning of September :)