PDA

View Full Version : SP loophole idea?

Carbon
08-21-2003, 01:31 AM
With the SP mess a brewin', i was wondering if it would be an infringement of the SP paten to sell "electronic" paintball markers WITHOUT the fitment(s) for:

A) a switch

B) battery/ battery compartment.

...And then install the swithces and batterey ourselves, and treat that(the switches & battery) as a third party/ consumer add on? Or does the patent cover that as well.

I mean, it seems kinda out of the way for the average consumer, but if your goal is to own a $900-$1200 gun, i would think one would have the capacity to solder a few wires and tap a few holes.

Im kinda goin by the similar practice of shoe companies importing shoes without shoelaces, in order to get an "incomplete product" clause?

plmcmahon
08-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Or sell something like an "AGD remote control" which was basically the grip frame and battery, on top of which was placed a universal remote control. Now, really, what can Smart Parts do if this remote control's grip and battery happen to be drop-in parts for an electronic Mag?

So you buy AGD's "mechmag" with no grip frame, and then a matching (annodized) TV remote. End users swap a part here and there, and the patent is sidestepped.

Crazy? Maybe, but so is Smart Parts. ;)

Sooky
08-21-2003, 02:26 AM
This isn't directly related, and I haven't seen anything on AO about it, but...

any truth to SP going after Bob Long now?

Carbon
08-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Sooky: "word" is they served him some papers just before a game. Therse some hubub abou it at PBN. In anycase back to the topic. I want royalties for this idea or i will sue you all, sue everybody:D

Twisted Greed
08-21-2003, 09:48 AM
That idea has been around for quite some time, there is a guy in arizona that sold 50 cal sniper rifles without a lisence and the law cought up with him, so now he just sells the guns disassembled.

A to the G-Dizzle
08-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Carbon, you should PM the link from pbn. I can't find it.:(

Carbon
08-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Heres the link from PBN. Link (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298661)

Well take it for what its worth, I wasnt there.

hitech
08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
You can't sell something in pieces to get around a patent.

jinxed
08-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Twisted Greed
That idea has been around for quite some time, there is a guy in arizona that sold 50 cal sniper rifles without a lisence and the law cought up with him, so now he just sells the guns disassembled.

You mean Maadi Griffen?

He only sold parts to the 50cal rifle, and instructions on how to make the rest in a machine shop.

Legally, anyone can build there own rifle, and it doesnt need to be licensed.

The guy got into trouble because the ATF claimed that his kits made it too easy to build your own gun, and he was arrested and fined heavily.

Fortunetly, the Clinton years are over, so this kind of stuff doesnt happen any more.

nick

mr_mich
08-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Right, but can't you just sell pieces that happen to fit together?

It'd be like someone making aftermarket pieces for a cocker, and making every single component. You could buy them all, and put them together...

FooTemps
08-21-2003, 04:54 PM
You COULD make a mag with ult into an electro... Just post up the instructions online on an enthusiust forum. BUT, we'd need a smaller, newer board. Anyway... With ult you could use a smaller noid and battery. That means no big battery needed. That means you could probably fit everything in the grip. That means that you could have mounting brackets for "intelliframe switches". If you have all of that, you've got an electro ready marker that is customized and built by the end user and not the manufacturer.