PDA

View Full Version : PigTV

xadamx
08-21-2003, 11:50 PM
what happened to pig tv? i used to love watching the vid and now its down... been down. anybody know whats up

FistS
08-22-2003, 12:21 AM
I Believe that the serve that hosted PigTv costed around 1000 dollars a month, and bill mills would pay that out of his own pocket every month.

I think that he is trying to find a new host for PigTV, and I'm sure in the next few weeks, everyone's favorite paintball movie site shall be up and running again.

Ofcourse, i may be wrong, and i ask that anyone who knows the correct information to post and correct my mistakes:)

-Fists

FishHook
08-22-2003, 09:51 AM
bill mills is awesome

adam shannon
08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
given that the media rights are what will eventually make nppl and psp money they are cracking down on who can shoot what events. the media rights are their biggest asset. NPPL wont allow video cameras near their fields because they have exclusive deals with a few mainstream media outlets, and their own production company is producing their dvd's. the psp will now be shot for tv by dick clarks production company, so starting next year dont count on pigtv or fon having much video of that.

in the past paintball was more than willing to allow anybody...pig tv, fon, traumahead, push, etc to film games to get "you" hooked on watching pb. now that the big multi million dollar tv deals are coming those days are ending. their main asset is their media rights...they arent going to let just anybody film and make money off their games when they can sign deals with mainstream outlets who demand exclusive rights. just like when you go to a mlb game....just try filming the game and streaming it on a website.

LaW
08-22-2003, 10:43 AM
That has nothing to do with why pigtv is down though! FistS is 100% correct on what he said. He is looking around for new sponsors to help pay for the costs as well he is releasing more of them on vhs etc...

He is still doing new videos as well and just got done with one, he had to pay about half of the costs last year and it gets really expensive.

WARPED1
08-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Bills a member here, someone PM him, billmill i think is his screen name here.

LaW
08-22-2003, 08:52 PM
I already went over his reply from warpig.com :)

billmi
01-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
NPPL wont allow video cameras near their fields because they have exclusive deals with a few mainstream media outlets, and their own production company is producing their dvd's. the psp will now be shot for tv by dick clarks production company, so starting next year dont count on pigtv or fon having much video of that.

Not so, at least not yet.

Pure Promotions (company that runs the NPPL tournaments) video access contract stipulates that they get to pre-approve video before it is broadcast. They don't have that restriction for webcast or home video distribution. They do not deny field access to legit crews. As you may note, there were Traumahead and PigTV videos of NPPL events last year.

DCP is representing the NXL, in an attempt to line up a production deal. That's unrelated to the PSP series events. NXL has restricted video rights, and PigTV (and I believe some others as well) are licensed to include in programming, up to 5 minutes of game highlights per event.

PSP had open video access for all events in 2003 except world cup, in which the home video rights for 10 man were restricted. X Ball (and if I remember right, 5 man) rights for home video were open access for legit media, and webcast rights were open for 10 man for legit media.

How much video comes out of PigTV in 2004, will mostly depend on what events I attend in person or line up a videographer for, and of course web hosting issues.

By the way, your pointer for hosting last fall has been a huge help.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

RingOfScale
01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
yeah pigTV was cool, personally i think FoNs videos are better ( i just luv the intros :) ) BUT, pigTV released em alot faster ( actually had one for everyone event ) which made em nice also hehe

speedyejl
01-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Now quick question how come PigTv videos are designed to be "undownloadable"? Personally I think a lot of bandwith could be saved if you allowed users to download videos so they wouldnt return and use more bandwith the next time they want to see it.

billmi
01-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Because PigTV has cost me 2 thrashed video cameras, and over $8K in hosting. I'd like to have it pay that back (let alone some day be able to pay me for the time I put in producing shows) and streaming gives the ability for commercials to be inserted by the server as the shows are viewed. Aside from a certain percentage of views saved by people watching "reruns" offline, streaming needs the same amount of bandwidth as downloading.