PDA

View Full Version : PB Pistols in scenario games

Coaster
08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
My friend and I are both really considering getting paintball pistols to play with. I mainly want one because i think it would be fun for a scenario game.

Has anybody tried having a sidearm, if so, could you share your experiences with them?

bsolomon
08-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Send a PM to Niterocker and get him to reply on the forum. When he plays scenarios, he pretty much only uses pistols, and he has a great collection so he could probably tell you the pro's and con's of every one ever made.

SN0BL1ND
08-22-2003, 12:11 PM
INCREDIBLE RUSH!

I've assaulted an enemy base with about thirty enemy players tryin' to figure out what the h*ll I was doin' until I quick-drew and shout out 2 or 3 standing in a cluster...the other players ALL opened fire on me! I headed for the dead zone drippin' but it intimidated the h*ll outta the enemy general...:rolleyes:

At the Risk it all game I got within 20 feet of an opposing player and back shot him. By showing him empty hands I was able to walk around him and HAD HIM GIVE ME A "THUMBS UP" TWICE WHEN HE SOULD HAVE SHOT ME OUT!!!:D

Night play is when a pistol really comes into it's own; you can have both hands free to move branches and move quietly. Darkness evens out the firepower disadvantage, and most fights are gonna be close anyway. I leave my main marker at the daytime speed limit and the pistol stays at the nighttime speed limit...

Lawrence TB Wright
08-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Playing a scenario game with a pistol is quite a challenge. I've played with and reviewed just about every scenario pistol out there. From the PGP to the Sidekick, even the hard to come by Sydearm. They are great back up guns and even better for role players that want to run 'light' but not be defenseless. For the money, the best pistol has been the sidekick semi. Lightweight, accurate and easy to work on, it was a great marker. Alas it is no longer in production, but I have 4 of them. ;)
In production the best marker is the Armotech Zeus. It has a few shortcomings but overall a good marker. Stay away from the PT Xtreme and PT Enforcer as they have had nothing but problems. The Sydearm is a great marker but hard to maintain and get parts for. The Punisher is not that great a marker, and severly over priced. The PGP is a very cool marker if you like rock and cock markers but that is your choice. Hope this helps out some. I can go into greater detail, if you need.

Coaster
08-22-2003, 01:14 PM
when did they go out of production? They appear as though they are still being sold on their website..

Lawrence TB Wright
08-22-2003, 03:15 PM
The sidekick pumps are still being sold, the sidekick semi's went out of production about 2 months ago. I talked with Chris 'Good' Nall and he is the one that told me the semi was out of production.

Esh
08-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Have you had a chance to look at the Delta .68? It is the latest along the PT line and it suposively has addressed some of the shortcomings in the previous PTs.

Polish
08-25-2003, 05:06 PM
The Delta 68s are basically, hopped up PT Extremes. NPS released 100 of them orginialy and within a week they recalled them due to a major leaking problem in every gun (I witnessed it). The have since re-released these..pistols.. and I believe they are still not worth it. They are too heavy and too bulky.. go with a Zues its a little smaller and packs a punch.

AutomagRT1483
08-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Sydarm baby Woot!!! I wish I had some 10 round tubes for it. Man, oh did I pay for just running my Sydarm late in the day at Paintball Sam's Scenario Game. I got my happy butt lit up by an X-mag. Thanks Emo (AKA Jeff Willems from AGD Pride)

judster
08-31-2003, 11:14 PM
i mostly only use pistols nowadays. like TB said if you are a role player you like to travel lite but not unarmed. i usually carry 2 pistols and a LAWS rocket as my weapons...its quite a challenge to only use pistols...i say give it a try...you might like it!!!

Timmee
09-08-2003, 06:04 PM
I tried using a PTX in the final battle at Shatnerball, and I feel that it wasn't for me (in hindsight, I wish I had my BM2K in that game). My roommate was using the PTX previously (it was his main marker all day), and he had a blast. It just depends on your style of play.

FooTemps
09-09-2003, 03:12 AM
what about the pt professional by core?

FooTemps
09-11-2003, 02:20 AM
anyone?

Glickman
09-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Well, if you want the pt, you should count on getting a bottom line. i got like 5 shots out of a 12 gram. BUT, i ordered a zeus bottom line, and used a 4 ounce. i was able to shoot a orange cone on the other side of a speedball field, consistanly. i had the refs going crazy over it. its a cool gun, and as accurate as my cocker when fed nitro. but the clip standard is only like 10, bt you can get a 250 round adapter. they have a new zeus out, and it has a longer barrel, but then again... it wold be just like a normal marker, except its smaller, lighter, and just plain cooler :D

kemikos
09-23-2003, 12:10 AM
I've been playing scenario games for 2 years now, and for the last year, I've played primarily with "sidearms". I've used most of the major models at one point or another.

As TB pointed out, the best all-around pistol currently in production is the Armotech Zeus. It's pretty reliable, comparatively compact (unless you're comparing it with the Sidekick), and it has no problem getting to playable velocity.

I haven't used the new Zeus G2 yet; it looks very cool, but I don't know if it's worth the extra price. The interchangeable barrel is nice, but keep in mind that it's not a true barrel; it's basically an interchangeable muzzle brake. The barrel itself is integral to the body of the gun, and the extension just screws onto the end. Its bore is actually so big that it most likely never touches the paintball.

The PT Professional and Punisher were nearly identical. They were the predecessors of the Zeus. They don't have nearly as many problems as the earlier PT-series markers. Though they're not as refined as the newer models, they're more or less solid markers.

The Core ZX is identical to the Zeus except cosmetically.

The PT Enforcer is to be avoided like the plague. Mine's currently at Doc's Machine for some upgrade work; I asked Doc simply to see if he could make a playable marker out of it. As it came from the factory, it was truly horrendous.

The Sidekick was definitely the marker to beat for a backup, or for a marker you don't intend to use much (for roleplayers and other special-role types). It's definitely the smallest and lightest semi-auto marker ever built. Unfortunately, the design had a chronic leak that would empty the 12-gram in under a half hour (the instructions on the manufacturer's website stated that the only solution is to not pierce the 12-gram until you're ready to shoot). For me, this meant a lot of wasted 12-grams.

Quite possibly the best sidearm you can still purchase new is the Palmer Squall. It's essentially a miniature Typhoon with a 12-gram quick changer and 10-round spring feed. There are only two downsides: the size and the price. The Squall is almost 14" long; it's holsterable, but you won't forget you're carrying it by any means. And the price starts around $550, depending on options. That's not to say you don't get your money's worth, though. Like almost all Palmer markers, every Squall is a hand-built work of art made to your specifications.

There are a few other options if you're willing to spend some time (and money) searching out some out-of-production markers.

The AGD Sydarm (you all knew I'd get to it, right? This is AO, after all... ;) ) is a very cool marker. As you should know if you're reading here, it's a 10-round spring-fed 12-gram-powered Automag. 'Nuff said. :) Unfortunately, they're hard to come by, and pricey when you do. Also, they do have some problems; the 'Mag doesn't handle 12-grams well. Sydarms tend to have freezing and shootdown problems because of it.

My new favorite is the FASTech A.F.T. This is a shortened, lightened F-2 Illustrator with a spring feed and 12-gram adapter attached. I just picked one of these up on Ebay a couple of months ago, and I'm impressed. It looks bigger than the Zeus, but it's actually lighter and smaller in all dimensions. The magazines are not as easy to reload on-field, but it's much easier to swap the empty for a full clip than with the Zeus. Unfortunately, they're even harder to find than the Sydarms, it seems. They generally aren't as expensive, though.

And those are just the best of the semis. If you're willing to take a chance on a pump pistol, there are so many more options out there. It's not nearly as bad an idea as it sounds... I played through most of MXS' "Armies of Armageddon" with a Nel-Spot. It just takes a different kind of mindset.

The list of sidearms I own or have used is actually pretty long...
* FASTech AFT
* The Zeus Cannon(tm) - This one's my personal creation. It's a full-auto Electro-Zeus conversion. That's right, I can empty the clip in a mere second. :D
* Standard Zeus
* PT Enforcer
* Sidekick Semi
* Semi-converted PGP
* Stock PGP
* Nelson 007 - I still use this one fairly often, surprisingly enough.
* Splatmaster Rapide
* Brass Eagle Eagle .68

Hope this helps someone. Also, for folks interested in sidearm info, Have Blue's "Semi-Auto Sidearm Enthusiasts" site has a lot of good information, and there's bound to be someone on their forum who can answer questions about any paintball sidearm. http://www.airsoldier.com/~sase

Kenn

judster
09-23-2003, 07:25 PM
well to add to this thread. i jsut bought a sydarm and gave it a test run. now i dont know if i am doin something wrong but mine only holds 8 rounds. it is a kick butt gun to have, but there is a problem with them freezeing up. i wanted to see how long it could hold a charge and was somewhat dissapointed. after 2 hours the gun did not shoot due to the valve freezeing up. but as far as shooting it....its a thing of beauty. it shoots wonderfully and far out does my PTs. i shot the 1st 8 shots at 279 to 275. after reloading, the secnod 8 shots were 240 to 230. i liked shooting it. now ive got to put it to the scenario tesr next weekend. be looking for a review after i get back from vipers t-zone

Splathappy
09-26-2003, 10:11 AM
I pickup a squall a few years back and that thing kicks but I still am having problems finding a good holster for it but its defently a good one to have if you can afford it and are strong enough to heft it around the feild..

kemikos
09-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Splathappy
I pickup a squall a few years back and that thing kicks but I still am having problems finding a good holster for it

http://cops911.com

COPS 911 will make you a holster for anything. And I don't care what you're used to, there's nothing more comfortable for hauling your sidearm around than a custom-made tactical holster. Those goofy things you buy from the online paintball shops don't even come close.

And they're not even that expensive, if you stay away from all the bells and whistles...

Kenn

doc_Zox
09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Robert from COPS 911 can holster a Splatmaster rapide

the man is a wizard with ballistic nylon

Hoplon
10-10-2003, 01:08 AM
I need a little clarification on the Sidekick simi. On their website it says out of production until manufacturing problems are solved. That implys that it will be available again soon. Is this not the case?

I was really hoping to get my hands on one that doesn't have that leaking problem.

I may just buy the pump version to cut my teeth on.

I'm always looking for a way to add a little spice to the game.

PS. Do the sidekicks have a sight rail on them? I'd want a ghost ring if i bought the pump version.

rathbaster
10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
I had a Sidekick Stock for about two weeks until it grew legs and walked at a western Mass. paintball field which shall remain unmentioned.

It has no sight rail, but does have fixed sights.

I only got to use it in a few games, but I really liked its heft (or lack thereof) and it was as good as any PGP I'd fired.

Several friends, upon hefting it themselves felt that a Sidekick Semi would be an excellent gun to have. I hope they go back into production, I'm just getting into scenarios and see a lot of usefulness for one.

Hoplon
10-10-2003, 03:49 PM
I emailed paintballstuff.com and they expect them to be in production again by december.

Sir_Brass
10-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by doc_Zox
Robert from COPS 911 can holster a Splatmaster rapide

the man is a wizard with ballistic nylon

Ain't that the truth. Heck, even AGD's fearless leader's vest is from good 'ole robert.

I'm looking forward to ordering my vest from him, and later on getting a tac holster as well. :)

Just like when you go highend you never want to use blowback ever again, same goes with vests. I can't wait to send robert my order (gotta offset some expenses first).

Wes Janson
10-30-2003, 07:43 PM
I'd like to have a pistol for use almost exclusively in scenario play. The reason for it is because I frequently am on missions that require me to leave behind my weighty minimag/guppy pack setup. I've got a PT Xtreme I picked up a year ago or so for $40, but I've yet to get around to sending it in for repairs (cracked bolt!). I need something under $100, ~1 pound or less loaded, and relatively small. I'm unsure about holsters right now, as I'd like to be able to conceal it on me (in night games a holster isn't visible, but during the day I wish to be able to conceal it as well). Any suggestions of what I should look for, and where to look for it?

kemikos
10-31-2003, 07:15 AM
Funny story about concealed sidearms...

At the last scenario game I played (Operation: Rainbow by MXS), there was a bit of a twist...

The enemy team "kidnapped" our general during the orientation briefing; our first mission was to rescue him. It was a total surprise move, and worked out to be really cool.

Anyway, once the rescue mission began, our commander was able to escape from his guard by shooting his way out with the PTX he had hidden under his Camelback...

For most concealment purpose, I bet Robert at COPS could make you a decent small-of-the-back holster for any sidearm. Cover it up with an overshirt or light jacket, and you're set...

Which is actually kind of similar to my setup when I'm running pistols only... Everyone sees the AFT in the tac holster. No one sees the pair of Zeus in the "Castor Troy..." :D

Kenn

judster
11-04-2003, 12:00 PM
well to finish that story,as i was one of the kidnappers. the general did indeed hide a pt under his cammelback. when the time was right he pulled it. shot 2 of the guards and tried to make an escape, however he had to stay in one spot and couldnt move(this was agreeded apon before hand) the bad thing was when his own troops came over the hill to rescuse him, they saw a guy with a gun and shot him. all in all it was a blast, and it was something that had never been done before in a scenario game, we kidnapped him durring his general speach before game on...i thought it was pretty cool. too bad he got shot by his own team though

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-05-2003, 10:10 PM
pts don't have many problems to me. so far i have had 2 problems and i bought mine used. and once you do have a problem just contact 32degrees and they will tell you what is wrong and send you new parts for free!

SN0BL1ND
11-06-2003, 07:19 AM
Been there, done that, even sent it back to 'em to fix. I STILL gotta work on my PTX before the 15th to TRY to get it runnin'... AGAIN.:mad:

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-06-2003, 04:39 PM
lol it's not really that hard to fix a pt. mostly it's just messed up cup seals (which national paintball supply will gladly replace for free).

SN0BL1ND
11-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Yeah, that's what I gotta fix. Sent it in to 'em 'cuz the thing wasn't sealing on the 12 gram. I'd go thru as many 12 grams that leaked out as got shot...:mad:

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-07-2003, 04:31 PM
all you had to do was ask for a replacement gas valve. it's not that hard to install it yourself and they give it to you for free.

DeeEight
12-07-2003, 04:07 PM
for pistols I own 3 Crosman 3357s and an AGA. As well as a vert-fed 007, a splatmaster, and a couple vulcans (which actually make really good markers as long as you don't fall on them).

You could also try going the custom micro-phantom route and get it pneumatic-cocked with a spring feed tube.

Faultie
12-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I've got several pistols, and for scenario ball, they are a must. I just acquired a .3357, and since .50 cal is now readily available (w/ splatmatic now making it), they are once again a viable option. Slow on the 12-gram reload, and only 6 shots, but w/ several quick-changers, you can reload faster than any other semi (actually, they are double action, not semi, but oh well.) They also work good as single-action. I also have a Zeus, and I played one weekend w/ just it and a friend's PTX, and the Zeus is about 9x the gun that the PTX is. The Zeus is heavier, but more solid, reliable, and I had trouble getting it *down* to 280fps, whereas the PTX could only go *up* to 220 or so. The Jackal is a nice idea done wrong. It's a blowforward like a Mag, but has a double-action hammer setup like a .3357. I am doing a hammer mod, choping the barrel and adding aluminum inserts, and adding a 10-rd spring feed, making it a VERY light, simple, hopefully reliable semi-auto pistol.
-Andrew
P.S. If only the .62 was still available, I'd love to use my AGA.62 more often. It looks like Vash's Trigun, or Hellboy's Samaritan.
P.P.S. If you wanted a cool pistol, I bet you could take one of the older fixed-barrel micromag bodies, add a co2 Quickchanger, and a stock-feed tube, it'd be quite nice and small (albeit kinda heavy).

Wes Janson
12-08-2003, 10:36 PM
What are the dimensions of the sidekick, does anyone know? The weight sounds like exactly what I want, but I've heard reports that it's relatively long. And I've been completely unable to find one for sale anywhere. Any tips? Thanks...

Rifter
12-17-2003, 03:26 PM
A friend of mine and I have been looking at them. I am about 1/2 way through the first page, and it is already a huge help. Thanks for everyone that has posted, to help out! You guys are a HUGE help!

mike31c
01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Faultie: if you are still looking for .62 cal paint, they do have a supply over at blowgunsnw. At least they still show it on their storefront.

When my 3357 was still in working condition, I bought some .50 cal paint from them it seem to be good to the pistol :)

Mike

Wes Janson
01-10-2004, 01:26 AM
At last I have secured a Sidekick Short! At last I shall have revenge! But first, we must have patience, for UPS is slow.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-10-2004, 01:02 PM
i'll be showing off my duel chrome custom pisols pretty soon. that should inspire some people to get pistols

paintballrules7
01-11-2004, 12:34 AM
Wow, has it been a long time since I posted hear..anyways I own 8 Zues G2 sidearms. Hell I do it MAtrix style.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-11-2004, 02:05 AM
i never did like the way you load the zeus, it takes too long in those fast paced games.

PTs are pretty much all you need, if you have any problems their technical support is great! Plus they ship you free parts! i mean...IT'S FREE!

paintballrules7
01-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Zues' are the best of the sidearms(next to palmers) The Pt's have to amny problems.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-11-2004, 08:44 PM
pts have been working great for me, i use to own 3.

You have to realize that you have to take care of your marker. with a pt if anything goes wrong 32degrees sends you free replacement parts. you don't have to pay anything, just send them an email stating the problem and they will reply telling you what went wrong and offer to send you free replacement parts!

you can't get the same out of a zeus, though it does look nice, i'd rather have a pt extreme

paintballrules7
01-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I own 8 Zues's and They are in perfect working order. I have never had a problem with most of them except On one of them it was leaking air. The guys at armotech sent me a brand new one. PLus Zues' have more uprgrades.

Wes Janson
01-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Why eight? Do you actually carry eight holsters?

Dang..I didn't know they'd ship you PT parts. I really should e-mail 'em then, because my Xtreme's bolt is cracked, the velocity adjustment knob is missing, and I need some new o-rings for the internals.

paintballrules7
01-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I did it for a scenario game. MAde me look matrix style. It was fun.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-12-2004, 04:42 PM
just give national paintball supply an email and they will help you out and send you free parts!

Wes Janson
01-12-2004, 05:40 PM
I could understand 2...but 8...wouldn't it take longer to put them back in the holster and remove the next pair, than it would to just reload? ;) You aren't looking to sell one by any chance, are you?

paintballrules7
01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I think I might Sell two of them 8 are too heavy to drag around during a game, I am down sizing to six of four.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
lol how much?

Wes Janson
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I might be interested in one as well, if it's a good price..

member#10,261
01-13-2004, 11:03 PM
I was running up to bunker this kid (i thought he was alone)

my buddy was soposed to cover me

I get right up to the bunker and there are 3 guys in there, I get one, the other two light me up before I know what happens.

my buddy who was soposed to back me up got a lil jam in his gun.

but then he wips out his PTX and rushes the two lil punks left in the bunker...shot them both in the top of the head:D

that is my sidearm story

GET ONE if you want to seek revenge on little punks that lite up your friend and leave him bleeding on the tapeline

paintballrules7
01-14-2004, 01:46 PM
I will sell them for $70.

Faultie
01-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Just don't get a PTX, it's more trouble than it's worth, and they feel really shaky/not well assymbled.
-Andrew

Wes Janson
01-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I know that *now*. :P but for $30, who cares?

pb7: Is $70 your final offer? ;P just spent $100 on a Sidekick Short+holster...rather low on the $$$ I'm afraid :(

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
how much for 2?

paintballrules7
01-14-2004, 07:45 PM
I will give it to you for 45 because I am a nice guy but it will be a Zues no the $70 dollar Zues G2.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-14-2004, 07:47 PM
i'll take i'll take! and where in chicago are you? i'm in the northern part of chicago

paintballrules7
01-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I live in the west suburbs.

Wes Janson
01-20-2004, 11:41 PM
$45 is tempting, but I think my mom would shoot me with it ;) The Sidekick just arrived, and it's a sweet gun. Only two more weekends until the game...must play must play..

trains are bad
02-08-2004, 08:04 PM
FYI Cabelas has the XJ40 splatmatic markers for $40.

And .40 paintballs for $50/2000

Just thought I'd share that.

Xani
02-25-2004, 05:24 PM
I dont know much about pistols but i like the armortech zeus. its a pretty accurate gun for its size and u can get flashlights and lasers for it along with silencers, folding stocks, and more but im to tired to think of all of them

nickname
03-11-2004, 02:43 AM
about how much would it cost to get a pgp converted to semi?
and also does anyone know how i can get some zeus g2s?
thank you all for your time and this thread (which is really helpfull by the way)

mike31c
03-11-2004, 10:05 AM
You can expect to spend about $400 to get that PGP converted to a semi. Palmers Pursuit can do it.

The Zeus you can get at armotech.us NOT armotech.com Armotech.us (http://www.armotech.us) or they can give you information about where you can still get the G2's

Faultie
03-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Punisher's Customs also does some awesome stuff w/ PGP (Micro/Nano-Cockers), and I bet you could maybe get one rigged up for 12grams and spring feed. Also, if you can snag a Sam Tussing PGP (somewhat rare), they are nice, from what I've seen. Also, if you can find an IMP Kit (very rare, good look), it'll mount on any P-series pistol, I think. All those are nice options for PGP type markers. A Palmer's Micro-Squall (PGP based) is perhaps my favorite, except for a few of Punisher's I've seen.
-Andrew