PDA

View Full Version : Amazing funny/sad REF story

GeoffreyInNJ
08-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Here's a quick story from last weekend. Some of you may get a kick out of it, or feel disgusted though lol. We were practicing at a field here in NJ, right around the corner from where the NPPL NJ was held. The "refs", and I use the term extremely loosely, here were all wearing T-Shirts from the event giving the impression they worked the event.

Anyway, FreshmanBob and I are trading shots at each other on the airball field and I see a ball comming right at my goggles. I hear a crack, have little droplets of paint on my goggles and but don't really see or feel a hit. It turns out the ball clipped me on the tip of the 90 degree adapter for the warp ULE body.

I raise my hand, call myself out and start walking off the field. As I'm going, the "ref" asks where I was hit so I show him.

His response was

"Dude you shoulda wiped that.... you guys are really honest. Do you ever actually win?"

I've seen incompetent refs, biased refs, lazy refs, and even the occasional great, fair, saftey minded ref.

Never before though have I had a ref telling me I should have cheated and he would have let it slide.

This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic that this is the type of behavior expected on the field in this day and age.

-=Squid=-
08-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Ughh...I have encountered a ref like that. I got shot on my tank, very clear hit, but I am privvy to call for a paint check (keep in mind im a VERY clean player, but if a ref calls a hit something other than a hit, and wipes me clean, I Will still play. Duh) and the ref comes and says nah, you should keep playing. And wiped it off. Ridiculous. But hey, whatever, I wasnt complaining.

A to the G-Dizzle
08-23-2003, 09:15 AM
He was probably telling you that at more of a "friend"ly point of view. Good thing he only got that shirt for being at the NPPL, and not actually reffing it.

What did you say after he said that to you?

SIGSays
08-23-2003, 09:32 AM
yeah a few refs around here wipe my pack for me... lol

that is kind of sad tho.. he encouraged you to wipe it

GeoffreyInNJ
08-23-2003, 09:42 AM
He was probably telling you that at more of a "friend"ly point of view. Good thing he only got that shirt for being at the NPPL, and not actually reffing it.

It wasn't a friendly thing. It was more like I was stupid for doing the right thing. As for what said to him after that.... I just said, what's the point of playing this game if you're going to cheat? He hit me and fair is fair.

If I wanted to shoot at people all day and not have the call themselves out, I could just go to the stand at the boardwalk and shoot the guy that runs around in there all day.

magman007
08-23-2003, 11:52 AM
HAHA i didnt know that happened! that deffinitely isnt cool man....

SyntaxError
08-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Which field was this? I think I have an idea, PM me if you don't want to post it, im interested in this:D

I understand where the ref's coming from, and I wish that there was less of that in paintball. Kudos to you for checkin out.

A to the G-Dizzle
08-23-2003, 03:13 PM
You said the ball nicked you. If the splat wasn't the size of a quarter you technically didn't have to go out.:D

the_next_guy_
08-23-2003, 07:30 PM
2 refs at my local field were shooting at each other in the staging area. It was really not cool.

durtysoufcraka
08-23-2003, 10:40 PM
"If I wanted to shoot at people all day and not have the call themselves out, I could just go to the stand at the boardwalk and shoot the guy that runs around in there all day."

that is fun though hehe silly silly guy

*ArKfEaR*
08-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro paintball or for a fact any tourney paintball once you step out of novice is who can cheat better.

Once you step into pro instead of relying on skill (i mean you can only be so good at paintball) and you start shooting 14BPS minimum! What else can you do?

Pro paintball is all about who can cheat best, and it does have a certain art to it.

If you ever make friends with pro teams, talk to them.
You will laugh at some of the stories, i have so many if anyone wants to hear.

SkeL
08-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Maybe this "ref" was just messing around?

YOu should have called for a paintcheck anyways:o