PDA

View Full Version : X-Mags and Smart Parts

MrWallen
08-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Ok, hypothetical situation:

Let's say I order an X-Mag RIGHT NOT. I know that I won't be getting it for a while, and certainly not before the whole SP trial gets resolved. What if the trial resolves in the worst possible way, and companies now have to pay huge royalties for e-guns...

Would that apply to the X-Mag I ordered BEFORE the trial (but wouldn't be getting until AFTER it)? Or would I be ok? Or would this be an issue that (if it ever even came up) would be decided in the trial? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fanatic
08-23-2003, 11:43 PM
well since you dont put any money down on preordering an xmag you will most likely be charge the xtra SP fee of 75..
so if i were you i would try to find a used xmag now..
i really doubt that preordered xmag that make it out to customers before the octorber deadline will be effected..
after that would most definately be effected..IMO

its just logical that way

dcmander
08-24-2003, 12:38 AM
My question is how much Xmags will raise in price..

Does this mean one could sell their xmag they got for 1250$ or so and make a lot of money on it because of the SP thing?

rikkter
08-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by EMAGfanatic
well since you dont put any money down on preordering an xmag you will most likely be charge the xtra SP fee of 75..
so if i were you i would try to find a used xmag now..
i really doubt that preordered xmag that make it out to customers before the octorber deadline will be effected..
after that would most definately be effected..IMO

its just logical that way

if it all does go through, it'll probably be more than just 75. customers pay all manufacturer costs to some agree, and we'd have to pay something of that 1million lisence fee.

adam shannon
08-24-2003, 01:46 AM
carefully read the posts tom has made concerning this whole thing. it appears to me that the e/x-mag would be a thing of the past and agd would only make mech markers...thats my take on the posts tom has made. ive also read into his posts that there is an as of yet silent majority of industry folks that are planning ways to combat sp. i dont think that the smaller manufacturers could/would pay the fee. the up side is if the industry doesnt play ball and fields and tourneys stop dealing with Sp they will be forced by public opinion to change their draconian tactics...money talks, BS walks.

mt best guess is that if/when sp controls the electro market by patent theft and deceit there will be a few options that most manufacturers will go to. 1) only selling/manufacturing their products in countries where the patent isnt registered...meaning you will have to order your markers from toms new shop in botswana or greenland...thus getting around the patent in the us and europe. 2) manufacturers will go to all mech designs. 3) or they will find a new design that isnt covered by the patent to make electros. 4) or they can make the markers as kits that you assemble yourself thus getting around selling a fully assembled product that violates the patent...the way fully auto guns and silencers are sold at gun shows legally.

dcmander
08-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by dcmander
My question is how much Xmags will raise in price..

Does this mean one could sell their xmag they got for 1250$ or so and make a lot of money on it because of the SP thing?

lamby
08-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by adam shannon
there will be a few options that most manufacturers will go to. 1) only selling/manufacturing their products in countries where the patent isnt registered...meaning you will have to order your markers from toms new shop in botswana or greenland...thus getting around the patent in the us and europe. 2) manufacturers will go to all mech designs. 3) or they will find a new design that isnt covered by the patent to make electros. 4) or they can make the markers as kits that you assemble yourself thus getting around selling a fully assembled product that violates the patent...the way fully auto guns and silencers are sold at gun shows legally.

Let me address a couple of these points:

point 1 is not legal. You must comply with copyright laws to import into the US. You can buy it, and own it over seas but it would be illigal to import. I had issues with some korean pirated software that I bought (I was in the military and had to deal with this)

Point 2 and 3 are highly possible, and that is what it looks like AGD is gearing up to do. But the larger companys like WDP would be able to recoop the costs by sales volume. AGD would get killed by a $1 Mil fee.

Point 4 is possible to an extent as paintball guns are not controlled by the ATF. If you buy a silencer or fully auto conversion kit AND install them on a firearm. you broke the law and could go to jail for a long time on felony charges. It is not legal to buy or own a full auto firearm unless you have a FFL (federal firearm license) that has full auto endorsment (forgot the class number) Making a product to byepass copyright protection is illigal (unless there is another purpose that the produced item can be used for) There are card programmers that program smart cards. They are legal. If you install software to them to hack a direct TV card (a smart card) you broke the law by making a device to break copyright protection)

We will see what happens. There will be counter suits against SP, Years of legal disputs, under the table political deals, and other "business practice" that will go on before this is all over.

I dont think this is good for the sport, but I will stick with my e-guns until I can't any more.