PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on SP suit. Can we do Something?

Cyberious
08-24-2003, 08:08 AM
I have been reading all of the Smart Parts threads and a few things came to mind.

First, Tom.... Can we (AO) assist you in any way? If it in fact comes down to going to court I for one would be willing to contribute to a defense fund of sorts and have to believe that others here would too. So just letting you know we are in your corner and think of us as a hidden ace up your sleeve.

Next, If there are any lawyers out there. If Smart Parts wins what are our options as consumers? Is a class action suit against SP possible? Here's what I'm wondering. We all know that the patent they filed is broad reaching and somewhat bogus. Now, currently the preferred marker in use at tournaments is the electro based marker. If they win the suit then I would imagine that it would be only a matter of time before mechanical markers become the preferred marker on the tourney scene. If that occurs many of us will be out alot of money (Even though the E/XMag are also Mechanical that is not the intended use I had for them). In my particular case I have well over $5000.00 in electro markers, that will then become useless in a manner of speaking (assuming I won't be able to get replacement electronics and that they will no longer be used at tourneys as a result of the industry having to shift because of SP).Is there something in there that would allow us as a community to put together a suit?

Is there any of the anti-Monopoly laws that would apply? Unfair Business Practice laws?

I guess overall I'm just wondering if we as a community can do more to help in this. Besides boycotting their stuff, I talking about a more active role.

AGD
08-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the offer to help but at this point we just have to wait and see what happens.

AGD

Cyberious
08-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Say the word Tom. You've always taken care of us so I for one would be happy to return the favor.

How much are they (SP) asking to license? In other words how much to buy them off like NPS did. You can PM me if you don't want to say in public. Otherwise I will see you at Shatnerball.

BTW, If the dirty rotten goat ropers win will we still be able to get electronics if ours go bad? I'm actually in the process of restoring two of the Carl Bonta whack jobs to their original configuration and would hate not to be able to get the boards.