PDA

View Full Version : Paintball On The Front Cover Of The Sunday New York Times Metro Section!

MagDog68
08-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Apparently Coney Island's famed boardwalk wasn't crazy enough and someone decided to open a "paintball shooting gallery" where passerbys could pay up to 20 dollars to shoot 75 paintballs at body armor clad Freaks. People stand on the boardwalk and shoot down into an abandoned lot at these guys!

The story doesn't go into the legalities of paintball in the city -- they talk mostly with the "human targets." It's a puff piece, but it will definitely cause some controversy when police and politicians see it and realize that paintball on the Coney Island Boardwalk, sans protective netting, face masks, etc., is a bad idea.

I just thought it was cool to open the NY Times and see someone shooting a paintball gun on the cover! (Though they are using Tippmans.)

~Derf

Think they will let me bring my emag down there and shoot rattle off those 75 paintballs? I'd pay 20 dollars to make these guys respect paintball!

MantisMag
08-24-2003, 12:13 PM
they've got that down at seaside NJ. there's like a dozen places called "shoot the geek." or sometimes other things. they're the same size as all the other booths. so i hope the markers are dialed down. i'd never play it. but it does make paintball seem more acceptable. more akin to shooting someone with nerf balls.

MagDog68
08-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Ohhhh...it was yesterday's paper and here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/23/nyregion/23FREA.html

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/08/23/nyregion/23freak.1841.jpg

*ArKfEaR*
08-24-2003, 12:17 PM
They have that all over boardwalks in jersey. In wildwood they have a guy dressed up as saddam and osama.
He runs araround while people shoot em :)

Fully protected, guns are chained, pretty safe.

Way to bring in money through anger.

MagDog68
08-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag
they've got that down at seaside NJ. there's like a dozen places called "shoot the geek." or sometimes other things. they're the same size as all the other booths. so i hope the markers are dialed down. i'd never play it. but it does make paintball seem more acceptable. more akin to shooting someone with nerf balls.

The only thing that worries me is that it will bring out another wave of "anti-paintball" sentiment around Brooklyn. All you need is for one fool to turn the gun onto the Boardwalk and you have police clamping down on all of us. It just doesn't look like they took all the precautions you should take when you play paintball responsibly.

~Derf

Clockwork_Orange
08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
I saw that on July 4th ("Shoot The Freak"). I didn't bother to play, but my friends jumped right in (I was busy watching the Beyonce dance contest;):D). It's pretty cool, you don't get prizes or anything you just waste money on paint and shoot!