PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of family in service?

Army
08-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Here's a few of my Dad in WWII.

Dad, in his finest livery:

Army
08-24-2003, 01:14 PM
And his crew, he's at the front left;

Army
08-24-2003, 01:15 PM
His plane "Miss Mac" named for the pilots Mom. Dad was the Bombardier, so his office was the clear plexiglass nose. The pic on the right, was when the gear was shot out, and they had to belly it in back in England....not the first time they went down.

Army
08-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Here they are in France, after three engines were shot dead. Everyone survived, and made it back to England by way of French partisans.

Army
08-24-2003, 01:19 PM
As always for soldiers and airmen, there is always time for a little goofing off. That's Dad in the German helmet, holding his chief mechanic "prisoner"!

Army
08-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Post'em up if you've got'em!

Take pride in your family's service to the country!

Creative Mayhem
08-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Don't have any on hand.. my grandparents have them... but i will definately see what i can do.. :D

CM

MiniMag84
08-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Hahaha, those pics are great. I'll see if my grandparents have any layin' around.

.bolink
08-24-2003, 02:46 PM
My dad has got a few of him at his base during vietnam. He flew Cobra helicopters. And then my grandfather (deceased) has a whole album from when he was in the navy in the 40s. Not sure if my scanner is working...

Duke of Lawnchair
08-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Groovy.

Thumbs up to your father and many many like him.

Jim

LittleJP
08-24-2003, 03:35 PM
sweet army...hooah to your dad, those B-17s got shot up real bad but did a great job over germany.

I have no pics of my dad in the service because for the majority of the time he was in, he was in a classified intel. job in west germany (1960s).

pbzmag
08-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Great pictures Army! I have two relatives who graduated from WestPoint. My uncle on my dad side was in Vietnam, and my cousins husband is currently in the Army National Guard and was previously in the Army Reserves. On my mom side, I think my great uncle was a pilot for the Philipine Army. My grand father was in the Philipine Army and his brother was in the US Army as a cook.

-=Squid=-
08-24-2003, 03:56 PM
My grandpa fought in WWII, I may be able to hook up some pics of him...sadly he passed away a couple of months ago.

mag-hatter
08-24-2003, 04:45 PM
links to the ship that my grandpa was on in ww2. he was a navy man. my great uncle was a marine. he was in an arty unit in the pacific islands.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=uss+mccoy+reynolds

Koosh
08-24-2003, 05:33 PM
I can't find any pictures of my dad at the moment, but here are the medals he won.

A Silver Star, Two Purple hearts (One for a piece of shrapnal in his leg, the other for what took him out of the war, getting third degree burns over his entire body, chest down), a Bronze Star, and the other one I'm not sure of, I'll have to ask him about that again.

He drove an M42A1 Anti-Aircraft tank in Vietnam, called the "Duster". If you ever watch any of the old WWII footage that shows the anti aircraft guns on the side of Warships, that have the top loading and clip fed 40mm ammo, those were the same guns on my Dad's tank.

And yes, the patch in the upper left corner is upside down, my uncle made that case as a suprise for my dad, and had to guess at the position of it...

I know the pics are around here somewhere, I'll try and get the pics up as soon as I can...

Army
08-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Koosh, ouch! Your Dads a "two-fer", whew, glad he made it out OK. HOOAH for him!

We had Dusters out here until 1991, when they were replaced by the Avenger system. We loved to watch those things bust up targets!

Steelrat
08-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Nasty thing about the dusters was that, like the quad .50s, they were used against infantry, as the Viet Cong and the NVA had little in the way of air support. I would have hated to have been on the receiving end of a stream of 40 mm shells.

CoolGSak
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
On the other side of the coin, here is a pic of my great-uncle. He was in the 2nd SS Panzer divison, field artillery, probably being bombed by Army's dad!

Koosh
08-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Steeratt
Nasty thing about the dusters was that, like the quad .50s, they were used against infantry, as the Viet Cong and the NVA had little in the way of air support. I would have hated to have been on the receiving end of a stream of 40 mm shells.

Exactly. I forget the exact distances he told me, but it was something to the effect that anything within 25 feet was dead. Anything within 40 was wounded so it would probably die. Check this (http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/Archive4M42A1.htm)

My dad has told some pretty nasty/gruesome stories. I'll try to tell one here, but will probably butcher it along the way.

Driving his tank one day down a road next to a rice paddy, one lone VC stood up in the middle of the rice feild and fired at my dads tank with an AK-47... what he didn't realize was that the tanks always traveled in pairs, so he stopped firing just as the other tank rolled up. He knows he's beat. He throws the gun down, puts his hand up, and starts yelling "Chew Hoi" (bad spelling, but thats what my dad said). Chew hoi means the equivelent of "I give up" in English. Well, my dad's tank commander wasn't too pleased with this guy.

"Chew hoi, hell! Fire one for Effect"

The gunner leveled the 40mm at the guy. Hit him right in the center mass.

My dad said that when they went to go look for him, the best they could find was his shoes. With the feet still in them, smoking. The rest well, he said it "Vaporized" which I wouldn't have too much trouble believing.

2 years ago he came into my Senior AP English class and talked for 90 minutes about what he did in Vietnam, he said it was the first time he did that in 30 years. Even though it was in a high school, he didn't censor anything out. Even saying "Man, Brains and Hair are a *ahem*Female dog To get out of tank treads!" And calling the VC and NVA the politically uncorrect "Gooks". But hey, we heard about the war as it was, and not censored like we would have if it were taught to us.

I got most of it on tape. I've been trying to get that on my computer and get it into MP3 format, but I've been having troubles... I'll get it eventually

-Carnifex-
08-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Is it just me or did the Nazi's have much cooler uniforms?

Konigballer
08-24-2003, 11:19 PM
yeah, the krauts always looked real sharp, uniform wise. grey just looks professional. to bad they were the bad guys, that means we cant copy them a little. oh well, the marine's uniforms dont look that bad.

trevorjk
08-25-2003, 12:45 AM
man its said how 2 decisions could of changed the world as we know it becuase both could of saved germany ---- russian front and the jet fighter ---- and thank god hitler opened the russian front wich basically made germany loose all hope on land and thank god for holding back the jet fighters potential during the war becasue allied planes would of been screwed well thats my 2 cents anyways nice pics army those are really cool

behemoth
08-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Heh, ill have to take the picture of my grandfather to work with me tomarrow to scan it...

--I dont know alot about his service to our country, because he died of a massive heart attack before i was born, and my grandma tries to peice together stories from the ones he used to tell her, but with the way she tells things its probably totally false :p --

--He was a US Marine during the Korean war, although he actually didint see any battle, my dad said he was in the next unit to be deployed, but the war was ended (Army, i dont know if theres a term for "War's End" but yall get my drift:D )--so IMO he was pretty lucky that he didnt have to go through the hell that some of you- (Koosh's dad, Army's Dad) had to endure

Whenever i see pictures from peoples family serving the country, and actually seing combat, i feel a certian remorse for them, just thinking of all that scary *** **** they had to live with EVERY dad for a couple of years

/end rant

-Josh

---*HOOAH!!!*---

Koosh
01-16-2004, 01:52 AM
How about we Bump this!

Heck, we don't even have pics of Doobie or Oldsoldier, or all the current guys in service, and they are as much family as anyone else, right?

breg
01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
I had a pic of my stepfather in Kosovo, but I lost it. He is comming home soon!!

Army, did you ever get the chance to go inside of a B-17? I got to when i was a little kid, and all I can say is those were some brave men. The skin of those were so thin you could easily cut through them. It looks like it was a later model B-17 due to the chin turret. I think those were added due to the lack of forward aiming guns.
I think the defensive armments were 12 Browning .50 M2 (Ma Duce!)

For those of you who are interested in looking at the type of plane: look here. (http://http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/B-17.html)

I wish I could find a picture of my maternal grandfather. he served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He retired a Command Sergeant Major.

Joni
01-16-2004, 04:26 AM
My grandfather got shot in the arm during WWII, and the bullet about an inch from his head, so thats how close it was that I might not be alive.
And if anyone wonders overs the fact that my location is Sweden (Sweden never fought in WWII), my family comes from Finland