Miscue
08-26-2003, 01:53 AM
http://armageddononline.tripod.com/volcano.htm

Albinonewt
08-26-2003, 06:12 AM
If you like that, then come with me for Mexican food

Mango
08-26-2003, 07:43 AM
I'd love to walk around on a volcano and throw rocks in the lava to watch it melt. I can't imagine seeing a rock melt. I gotta see that once before I die.

Albino: I just noticed you are from NJ! Where abouts? What field do you plat at often?

-=Squid=-
08-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Im scared now, and am gonna ask mom if we can move to canada! :eek:

Thordic
08-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
If you like that, then come with me for Mexican food

Whew, I know what you mean. I've often left a few smoldering caldera's myself after a night at On The Border.

Army
08-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Well.......I'm selling MY stock in Kansas wheat right now!

Sparq
08-26-2003, 08:57 PM
I love reading about newly discovered ways for nature to obliterate us all without any prior warning. Just like asteroids, comets, genetic plagues, and so on...I can only hope it holds off long enough for me to avoid living (briefly) in the post apocalyptic wastelands of the future.

Looks like we're all going to die...and soon.

FalconGuy016
08-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, that volcano thing in Yellowstone is true. I didnt bother reading about it since I already know of it. I cant say the same for the others however...

Isnt that a scary thought? The fact that we could all die and the world be permanently kicked a few notches down the ladder? You'd think it would be a primary concern for our government (and... the world) to have an entire branch dedicated to stopping Yellowstone from erupting. Also, its now overdue for an eruption too. There was also a discovery channel special on this so if anyone else is interested you might wanna look that episode up (I believe it was called Supervolcanos)

-=Squid=-
08-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
Well, that volcano thing in Yellowstone is true. I didnt bother reading about it since I already know of it. I cant say the same for the others however...

Isnt that a scary thought? The fact that we could all die and the world be permanently kicked a few notches down the ladder? You'd think it would be a primary concern for our government (and... the world) to have an entire branch dedicated to stopping Yellowstone from erupting. Also, its now overdue for an eruption too. There was also a discovery channel special on this so if anyone else is interested you might wanna look that episode up (I believe it was called Supervolcanos)
Sure, sounds great, but what could we possibly do about it? Either way, im sure there are more people than we could imagine working on it...mabe thats why it hasnt gone off yet ;)

sharpshooter1286
08-26-2003, 09:45 PM
im gonna start digging a hole and make a fallout shelter, how much can the lava actually destroy? lol ill dig like a couple miles down

or just move to australia

Ov3rmind
08-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
You'd think it would be a primary concern for our government (and... the world) to have an entire branch dedicated to stopping Yellowstone from erupting.
What exactly do you propose we would do? It's not really one of those things we could control.

This would be so frightening if it happened. I live right in UT, so I'd be dead pretty quick. Just some interesting parts I read:

-Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere.
-Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption.
-Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico.
-One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick.
-The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens.
-It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years.

Those would be some interesting things to experience right before you died.

What's weird is I've had several dreams that involved massive volcano eruptions with me being the only surviver. They were cool and scary at the same time.

banzaimf
08-27-2003, 06:20 PM
...-Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere.
-Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption.
-Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico.
-One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick.
-The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens.
-It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years.
[/B]

This guy must have been on a road trip with me after I hit Taco Bell. Sounds about like the same symptoms after I've had a 7 layer burrito!

BlackVCG
08-27-2003, 07:32 PM
The units are all in metric. It's just the silly Europeans trying to scare us.

Honestly, I could care less. The list of natural disaster predictions that never happened go on and on. What bothers me is all of this "data" they have from thousands of years ago. Considering there were no humans and when there were, they didn't research things like this. It's all predictions and can be equally as flawed as carbon dating.

Gitaroo Man
08-27-2003, 07:36 PM
yeah Volcanos are pretty cool....i got to see one erupt in hawaii......and then we had to leave very fast before the magma got to us...lol then we were driving and we almost drove into a thing of magma going across the road...so we turned back and went the other way....lol fun stuff

Python14
08-27-2003, 07:43 PM
I wonder what it would look like from my house?

beam
08-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
The units are all in metric. It's just the silly Europeans trying to scare us.

Honestly, I could care less. The list of natural disaster predictions that never happened go on and on. What bothers me is all of this "data" they have from thousands of years ago. Considering there were no humans and when there were, they didn't research things like this. It's all predictions and can be equally as flawed as carbon dating.

Black, did you read the bit about PlanetX? There is a whole section about how the Sumerians new of this 6000 years ago. I was just funny reading.

And about the carbon dating comment, I just heard of some carbon dating that was done to determine the age of something(can't remember what it was), but the date turned out to be in the FUTURE! LOL!

logamus
08-28-2003, 04:22 PM
thats a pretty uplifting site. the next time i am tempted to employ the final solution i will go there to ease my nerves.

billybob_81067
08-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
I'd love to walk around on a volcano and throw rocks in the lava to watch it melt. I can't imagine seeing a rock melt. I gotta see that once before I die.

Go outside, get a rock, go to a welding shop, light up their torch, and get to work melting that sucker...

It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years.

Pshhhhhtttttttt... I've heard louder! :D

i like tictacs
08-29-2003, 11:12 AM
yeah my old smg 60.

Python14
08-29-2003, 11:14 AM
I doubt you'll find a welding torch with enough heat to melt a rock.

billybob_81067
08-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Python14
I doubt you'll find a welding torch with enough heat to melt a rock.

I've done it before... mainly just a bunch of sand I melted together, but if you kept at it you could get a rock to melt...

Python14
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Sand is one thing, rocks are another. Trust me. I tried, 23 minutes of direct heat and all it did was fracture the rock and make my arm sore.

billybob_81067
08-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Well all I've ever done was sand, I guess I've just never had the hankerin to melt a rock... so I'll take your word for it! :D

Infratracide
08-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by SprayingMango

put one in your microwave for about 4 minutes, there will be a startling physical change.

Infratracide
08-30-2003, 12:34 AM
wait, no dont do that.
Or do, but then you cant sue me.

mag-hatter
08-30-2003, 02:45 AM
wow that thing is so full of crap i cant even start to insult it.......except the biblical armageddon of course, that will happen, but not in 2007 i dont think.

Jack_Dubious
08-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by mag-hatter
wow that thing is so full of crap i cant even start to insult it.......except the biblical armageddon of course, that will happen, but not in 2007 i dont think.

lol...anyone else see the irony in this? :)

JDub

PsychoBaller
08-31-2003, 03:18 AM
Eat, drink and be merry.... for tommorow we'll probably just end up throwing up.....

Armageddon my shiny patoot....

Jack_Dubious
09-15-2003, 07:50 PM
a monster awakens (http://www.onlinejournal.com/Special_Reports/091103Gurney/091103gurney.html)

JDub

Sparq
09-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Wonderful. This better hold off for at least another hundred years, or I'll be very angry for the short time between explosion and my own death.