PDA

View Full Version : People with tattoos

SlipknotX556
08-26-2003, 05:13 PM
How much do they usually cost, how long do they take to get done?

I plan on getting a confederate flag on my arm, when I turn 18.

-=Squid=-
08-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Confederate flag? If so, you better not get the typical cross with stars, because thats not really the confederate flag. ;) A teammate got that same thing on his back and I make fun of him ALL the time for it.

Fanatic
08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
depends on color or black, size
and sometimes placement(for those freaks out there)
custom(you own) or premade disigns..so over all will vary in price

as for the length of time
sometime it matters how much you can take
but most likely how big the job is...
with your choice of the flag..roughly and hour or two
but dont forget to take a pic!

ZSigErik
08-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by FiRe
Why do you want a confed flag?

are you proud of the south killing black people because they didnt think that Lincoln should have freed them?

Was that really needed FiRe? I swear, everyone on this message board wants to make every post political...

SpongeBobSquarePants
08-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Hmmmmm, I don't know much about them. I would really think hard about what you get though. I'm not saying a confed flag is a bad choice. It just seems like a thing you will regret. All I'm saying is what if you ever get a Job (IE High Business level) I mean chances are very unlikely it will be seen but I mean it will be there for ever. Just really think about it before you get it. Personnally I would like to have a good size cross on my arm but thats just me. Either way lets see some pics :)

-=Squid=-
08-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SpongeBobSquarePants
Hmmmmm, I don't know much about them. I would really think hard about what you get though. I'm not saying a confed flag is a bad choice. It just seems like a thing you will regret. All I'm saying is what if you ever get a Job (IE High Business level) I mean chances are very unlikely it will be seen but I mean it will be there for ever. Just really think about it before you get it. Personnally I would like to have a good size cross on my arm but thats just me. Either way lets see some pics :)

Well worded my young apprentice...

SpongeBobSquarePants
08-26-2003, 07:43 PM
;)

Konigballer
08-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Dude, i'm from the south and getting a confederate flag on your arm is pretty white trash. All you need after that is a beat up IROC and a budweiser t-shirt. Not trying to be harsh, I know "southern pride" means something different for us southern boys than what it does for yankees, but it will be on your arm FOREVER. I mean, they make rebel flag EVERYTHING so why not buy merchandise instead of a tatoo. You'll always be southern, you dont have to have a friggin' label on your arm like a brand name on a t-shirt to prove it...But if you do decide to get it, it should be pretty cheap, If the guy screws up something as easy as a flag, he needs to be nee- capped:)

Python14
08-26-2003, 07:56 PM
If your gonna go southern pride, get a bottle of southern comfort done on your shoulder and Charlie Daniels on the other shoulder

TooDamnSweet
08-26-2003, 08:33 PM
I have a tattoo on my right calf, it took about an hour and a half and cost $120.00. Sorry I don't have a pic to post.

RetroEclipseMan
08-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Python14
If your gonna go southern pride, get a bottle of southern comfort done on your shoulder and Charlie Daniels on the other shoulder

That's what I'm talkn' about:D. Can't go wrong with the SoCo man. not sure what you meant by Charlie Daniel though(maybe Jack Daniels???)

AndrewGore(OTB)
08-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Just get something that you really want. I've been thinking about what I want to get for the past year. I've come to the conclusion of a big angel (not a "mommys angel" or a wdp angel), but a rad l00king one going over my left shoulder, kinda like its looking over me. Just make sure its something you want. (a guy at our shop has a big dragon tattooed on his head....that has gotta hurt)

Andrew

Ov3rmind
08-26-2003, 10:10 PM
When I turn 18 I plan on getting a tatoo of the AFI Bat on my right shoulder.

Matt_mg
08-26-2003, 10:21 PM
gotta get tatoos to cover those permanent paintball welts ;)

when i'll have the money :p

pbcustom98
08-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SlipknotX556

Some places in NYC charge around $100 an hour..so if its the same..make sure its worth the money. I knew the guy, and i got my tattoo and and earing plus tip for $150.. :D ..my tattoo isnt too big, nor is it too small.. took around 2 hours or so..with a break for pizza :) but no matter where u go, make sure they use sterile needles and everything out of the new sealed plastic stuff..otherwise just smile and run! :eek:

pics are here..

Tribal Cancer Sign (http://www.freewebs.com/pbcustom98/mytattoo.htm)

Hope this helps
Daniel

ERut
08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Why do you want a confederate flag? I'd think about that long and hard before I got it(or anything) put on my body permanently.

I think tatoos can be pretty cool, but if anyone want to make a fortune, start a business that does lazer tatoo removals in about 20 years, because a lot of people are going to have something they dont want anymore.

Lopy-slopy
08-27-2003, 01:13 AM
The confederate flag is an interesting choise. Some people might get very offended, and some wont care, but do you realy want that kind of thing on you body for the rest of your life?

jdev
08-27-2003, 01:16 AM
heh, i got asked many of these same questions when i was getting my inkwork done..

keep in mind, its his body, and he'll do as he pleases. while a confederate flag may not be your choice in inkwork to get done, maybe it has a certain meaning behind it for him to get.

WicKeD_WaYz
08-27-2003, 01:43 AM
haha I find the people from the South interesting. Ive never been there though.

All I know is you wouldnt last an hour in my neighborhood with something like that on your arm. You'de be better off just killing yourself and getting it over with.

edweird
08-27-2003, 05:28 AM
well... to help with the tatoo discussion I refer you to last weeks Red vs Blue PSA about Tattoos (http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/private/PSA3/RvB_PSA3_LoRes.zip)

dre1919
08-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Tattoos are one of the best things in life in my opinion, but decide for yourself. If you really want a confederate flag, then make it yours. Find a way to get one drawn that looks more about southern pride than just a "rebel flag". As far as price, it depends on where you go, who the artist is and whether it has colors (and how many) or just black. Here is my tat:

I drew this and brought it in, but it was created in four pieces, on four different occasions. The first part was the black Kempo symbol in the middle and that cost me $50. Then I went to a different shop and artist about three years later and added the dragon (and redid the Kempo sign because the first guy wasn't that good). That cost me $140 with tip I believe. Next I added the fire, and that was $60 value but I got it added for free since I drew some tat artwork for the piercer working there and he paid the artist. Lastly, I adapted the tribal blades from a design they had and added it for $100 tip included. That's another thing though, make sure you always tip the artist at least $20...it's considered good etiquette. I feel truly lucky though because this artist, Bob, is awesome on the tat gun. He's only 23 too!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy.

wyn1370
08-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Mine is a bit smaller than dre's. Four colors (black, grey, yellow and red). If I remember correctly, it cost me $225. One of these days I'll take a pic of it.

covadsucks
08-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Just make sure to get what you want -as it's on your body for life. I got my dragon covering my right shoulder as it was something I wanted for quite a while. It's black and grey shading with no color at all. 2.5 hours of time and 200.00 bucks later it was done...

My left calf I have engulfed in flames, that was 3.5 hours and was something I had wanted and was around 340 with all the color in the world...orange, red, purple, yellow and black/grey outlining.

My Angel Spawn covering the right boobie was only 100 and was about 1.5 hours worth of black and grey and a hint of green in the eyes.

All have meaning to me, all look tight as hell, and all were more than worth it.

chizle97
08-27-2003, 11:36 AM
tats are usualy expensive depending on what ya get but make sure ya just dont go in and get one from someone ya dont know. ask to look at the portfolio of the artist doing it. and if he can do what ya want. and dont go foranything big for your fist tat. I go in september 27th to get my Irish flag and cross. also on confederat flag issue, opinion is cool but ide thik twice before gettin that cause ya never know what social ramifications might come with that.

Zumina
08-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Got Hill Billy? Don't waste your money on making yourself look like an idiot.

mag-hatter
08-27-2003, 02:16 PM

just dont go to jail or you'll get beaten to death by your fellow inmates. not only that, but dont take your shirt off at the beach. in other words, just go around wearing a hajib your whole life because if someone sees you with the tattoo, they'll know your face and they might want to do something about it.

im going into the marines and im going to get the eagle globe and anchor on my left shoulderblade.

SlipknotX556
08-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Its like how some people want their family members tattooed on them, its what you want, its pride. It would be the same as a person getting an american flag on their arm.

FiRe - Why do you want a confed flag? are you proud of the south killing black people because they didnt think that Lincoln should have freed them?

I really dont think that needed to be said, thats history.

But people get what they want done to their body because they want it. Now look at that guy with disney people all over his body, he wanted it so he got.

fire1811
08-27-2003, 04:26 PM
i have a couple of tattoos

the cost depends on the time/ size of the tattoo

do some research you might be better spending a little more money now and have a quality tattoo then spend less and it not look so good.

the main thing to remember about the tattoo you get is dont settle for anything you dont want and be sure you get something that you want for the rest of your life.

and one warning also you may say you only want one tattoo but be advised they are addictive. :D

ERut
08-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Its like how some people want their family members tattooed on them, its what you want, its pride. It would be the same as a person getting an american flag on their arm.

Its not the same. If I were to walk into somewheere and see a guy with an american flag on his arm, I would just think "hey there's a patriotic guy".

If I saw a dude with a confederate flag, Id immediately label him as a hick and a bigot. While you might not be either, just remember the connotations behind that flag, and that first immpressions are the ones that last;)

SlipknotX556
08-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by ERut
If I saw a dude with a confederate flag, Id immediately label him as a hick and a bigot. While you might not be either, just remember the connotations behind that flag, and that first immpressions are the ones that last;)

I was not born in the south, I was born in NY and lived in NY for 12 years and then I moved to FL. Now there is a difference between hicks and southern people. Hicks usually live in the farm land of FL, have cattle and stuff like that. Not everyone is a hick\redneck down here.

While growing up and I never was shown anything confederate other then what my dad had of his civil war collection(he is a civil war freak)but when I moved down to FL, I was exposed to more southern stuff, such as confederate flags and everything, it grew on me, so I went with it.

When you think of someone that has a confederate flag on their car or hanging from a flag pole, everything thing like that they are immediately raciest, thats not true, but alot of the time it is. So I really dont care what people would think if I got the tattoo, because its what I want.
But yes I do know what the flag stands for, I am still going to get it.

And with another note on the American flag patriotic thing. If someone has an American flag on their arm or somewhere on their body, you say patriotic, but someone with a confederate flag on their arm is patriotic to their flag, if they were born and raised in the south.

ERut
08-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Look, i know you're probably not a racist, but personally, I wouldn't want anything associated wiht racism that strongly to be permanently on my body.

Think of it a different way. You know those rainbow stickers that g ay people put on their cars? What if you just thought that the sticker was cool, and decided you wanted to put it on your car. When people see it, they will automatically assume you are gay. Although you might not be, would you want to think that about you.

Also, the south is more accepting of a confederate tattoo then the rest of the country. Keep that in mind, because if you ever move, you might regret your choice.

Rooster
08-27-2003, 08:36 PM
I'd get a stars and bars tat just to piss off the PC morons. You wear your x, and i'll wear mine.

ERut
08-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Im far from PC. Political correctness can kiss my white, excuse me, caucasian butt

RTGuy86
08-27-2003, 09:34 PM
hopefully by the time wrestling season comes around i will have 2. one on my left pec it is gonna be the US w/ the us flag going through it. and the other is gonna be a panther(school mascot) in a wrestling singlet on my right calf........after im out of the Marines im gonna get the USMC symbol on one of my arms. and the best part is it will be free. a brothers friend does tatoo's and piercings and he is gonna do them for free for me...:)

mag-hatter
08-27-2003, 10:47 PM
putting the confederate flag on your arm is like putting the nazi flag on your arm.......both are symbols of oppression, both are symbols of hate, predudice, and pain. oh, and another thing. both represent a government that got its *** kicked so basicly you're getting a white flag tattooed onto your arm hahaha

pbcustom98
08-27-2003, 11:47 PM
dont listen to anyone. get whatever you want. if the confederate flag floats your boat, then go get it. u dont have to listen to people who think its a bad idea. its not what other ppl think, its what u think. u like it and thats what matters. just make sure its something u want for the rest of ur life. im done for now.

Daniel

digitard
08-28-2003, 01:22 AM
It depends on the artist, the time it takes them to do it (some shops have hour rates), the tip, the detail and things like that.

It could range from 70 bucks to 200 bucks I'd guess...

Sincerely,
Dave

Yamz
08-28-2003, 02:42 AM
To answer your question the price will be from as low as 50 to as high as 200. My best advice for getting ink done shop for the art not by the price. In other words quality is the key

To everyone else complaining about tattoos or the confed flag. I got my tattoos for myself not for you so shut up and carry on smartly.(and no i dont have a confed flag nor do i want one i have other plans to decorate my body)

SlipknotX556
08-28-2003, 02:13 PM
I was looking on the internet for my history report on the civil war, came across some about the confederate flag..

I dont know the name of the orginazation, but they are taking the flag and calling it a hate symbol, then they have right after that, it is also used as a symbol of south pride, that is correct, most south people by heart fly the flag as a symbol of pride.

But here is another thing I remember, about a year ago me and my brother were driving in town and we see an F-150 with an american flag and a confederate flag both on poles standing up out of his truck, so we say "ok" then the next day our friend from NY IMes me saying that there is something on the news about a guy being arrested for flying the american and confederate flag out of his pick up in Jupiter,FL(my town), can they really do that? Arrest the guy for showing the two flags together? I mean come on some court houses still fly the flag, major offices fly it.

RPK
08-28-2003, 05:00 PM
I have also gone throught the "I'm getting a tattoo when I turn 18" stage... however by the time I turned 18 I was unable to come to a decision on what I would want on my body forever.... My thought was when I'm retired and reading stories to my grandchildren will I be able to tell them special stories about my tattoos or will they just be old nasty fadded pictures that didn't mean anything but something cool at the time. Now don't get me wrong... I still want to get a tattoo, but I'm waiting until I can decide on something that I will want FOREVER!

RPK

ERut
08-28-2003, 05:05 PM
There must be more to the story, if there's not then wouldn't that be unconstitutional?

Zumina
08-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by RPK
I have also gone throught the "I'm getting a tattoo when I turn 18" stage... however by the time I turned 18 I was unable to come to a decision on what I would want on my body forever.... My thought was when I'm retired and reading stories to my grandchildren will I be able to tell them special stories about my tattoos or will they just be old nasty fadded pictures that didn't mean anything but something cool at the time. Now don't get me wrong... I still want to get a tattoo, but I'm waiting until I can decide on something that I will want FOREVER!

RPK

MiniMag84
08-28-2003, 07:21 PM
I was looking on the internet for my history report on the civil war, came across some about the confederate flag..

I dont know the name of the orginazation, but they are taking the flag and calling it a hate symbol, then they have right after that, it is also used as a symbol of south pride, that is correct, most south people by heart fly the flag as a symbol of pride.

But here is another thing I remember, about a year ago me and my brother were driving in town and we see an F-150 with an american flag and a confederate flag both on poles standing up out of his truck, so we say "ok" then the next day our friend from NY IMes me saying that there is something on the news about a guy being arrested for flying the american and confederate flag out of his pick up in Jupiter,FL(my town), can they really do that? Arrest the guy for showing the two flags together? I mean come on some court houses still fly the flag, major offices fly it.

I think flying two flags together is a sigh of unity between the two nations. Saying that all of America is united with the Confederate south is just wrong.

Matt1427
08-28-2003, 07:42 PM
I was born and raised in the south, but I have lived in Michigan for two years now. The confederate flag is not racist, it was my home states flag Mississippi. And every single one of my family members live there , its not racist at all its a state flag for crying out loud. Bunch of limp wristed liberals.

Rooster
08-28-2003, 08:03 PM
"putting the confederate flag on your arm is like putting the nazi flag on your arm.......both are symbols of oppression, both are symbols of hate, predudice, and pain. oh, and another thing. both represent a government that got its *** kicked so basicly you're getting a white flag tattooed onto your arm hahaha"

Thank you for taking your ignorance and putting into the form of words. You do understand the civil war had nothing to due with slavery. You do understand that more than 90% of the people in the North wanted nothing more than to defeat the South, and keep the blacks in the south. Why? Becuase they didn't want them living in their towns. The stars and bars is about states rights, its about individual rights, and about making small minded fools angry.

LOL! Learn some history, then comment.

MiniMag84
08-28-2003, 08:59 PM
*Not siding with the confederate haters*

But the blacks that lived in the North were free and usually had jobs. Plus the opportunity of boasting about their 50 acres of farm.

SlipknotX556
08-28-2003, 09:18 PM
The confederate flag is still hung at the capital building in south carolina, I believe.

But people have been trying to get a law passed that the flag is not to be hung anywhere anymore. But has that happened yet? Nope, I dont think it will because the south will not let it happen.

-=Squid=-
08-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Get whatever you want, and no, not trying to start trouble, always liked you slipknot...but here are my $0.02 on the subject, and im from arkansas

1) we lost the war. Fly the american flag, the only flag to represent our country.

2) what are you "rebelling" against?

3) the south WONT rise again ;)

4) the X with bars wasnt REALLY the confederate flag :D

but hey, I know a lot of people fly it because they like its looks, and heritage, and not because they think the south WILL rise again, or because they are super racist (although a lot of ppl at my school ARE racist and DO think the south will rise again ;) )

Just get whatever you want.

MiniMag84
08-28-2003, 09:25 PM
I don't hate it. I actually love vacationing to the south. But the war is over. We are one nation, undivided. Why hang a flag representing southern pride? Why not hang an American flag showing American pride?

SlipknotX556
08-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Get whatever you want, and no, not trying to start trouble, always liked you slipknot...but here are my $0.02 on the subject, and im from arkansas

2) what are you "rebelling" against?

3) the south WONT rise again ;)

but hey, I know a lot of people fly it because they like its looks, and heritage, and not because they think the south WILL rise again, or because they are super racist (although a lot of ppl at my school ARE racist and DO think the south will rise again ;) )

Just get whatever you want.

Not rebelling against anything.

I know it wont.

Same with my school, its like that south park episode when cartman becomes Robert E. Lee, they try to start the civil war all over again :)

-=Squid=-
08-28-2003, 09:40 PM

Not rebelling against anything.

I know it wont.

Same with my school, its like that south park episode when cartman becomes Robert E. Lee, they try to start the civil war all over again :)
Just making sure...all the stupidos at my school are like that though. You should just get a huge self portrait tatood on your back like stevo.

ERut
08-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Rooster
[B
You do understand that more than 90% of the people in the North wanted nothing more than to defeat the South, and keep the blacks in the south. Why? Becuase they didn't want them living in their towns. The stars and bars is about states rights, its about individual rights, and about making small minded fools angry.
[/B]

Those are some big numbers to pull out of thin air, although I dont think that the whole nazi flag think was called for.

I understand what the stars and bars represent to you, just know that they do not represent that to the rest of the country. Isn't the US flag about rights and freedoms too?

Bottom line: think about it long and hard before you permenantly associate yourself with racism. And yes, I do think that is a side effect of tattooing a confed. flag on yourself, whether you are a racist or not.

PS: I am NOT a limp wristed liberal, or any kind of liberal at all, for that matter...

Konigballer
08-29-2003, 12:35 AM
ok, I still think its a dumb idea to get a rebel flag tattoed on yah but some of the stuff being said about the rebel flag is a little out of line.

First of all, SlipnotX556, I didnt know you were from NY!!!!!!! I hope to god your getting this rebel flag done because you have some ACTUAL HISTORICAL TIE to the south, aka: your ancestors fought with the confederacy. If not, that is the lamest retarded azz thing I've heard in a loooonng while. What the hell would you know about southern pride if your just a transplanted yankee. But, if you actually have historical ties to the confederacy then I apologize, and that rant does not apply to you even though its kinda rednecky to get that tattoo.

Second, equating getting the confederate flag tattoed on your arm as the same as getting the nazi flag tattoed on your arm is completely moronic. For one, no matter what you think the civil war was about or fought for, be it : "defending states rights","preservation of the union", "abolishment of slavery" or whatever, it was not world war 2. The confederacy was a lot of things, both good and BAD. However, unlike Hitler and Nazi Germany in WW2, the south did'nt start or fight the Civil War as a ideological war of conquest and racial genocide. Comparing the Confederacy to the Nazis is wholly inapropriate and very misinformed. Also, the tie of the south to the rebel flag, as a symbol of pride or heritage, is also wholly unlike the association of the Nazi flag with germany. It is hard to understand if you didnt grow up here. The "rebel flag", or confederate battle flag, isnt even the actual national flag of the Confederate States of America but it became the incarnation of the southern cause and symbolized the thousands of sacrafices made during that war. Its also a reminder of the defeat that came in that war, which was almost entirely fought in the south.
Unlike flags in WW2, these "rebel flags" were carried IN combat. Each regiment carried their own, and had the list of battles the regiment fought in throughout the war painted on them as a symbol of regimental pride. They were carried in every major battle and were out at the forefront of some of the fiercest combat in the war. Often, flagbearers died, one after another, just to keep the battle flag from touching the ground. It was seen as dishonorable if it was captured by the enemy. The nazi flag is seen in germany as a sign of national shame, a reminder of when they were led to madness and world war by a despot. The confederate flag isnt viewed the same way in the south. It was a much different conflict under a much different set of political and social circumstances. I fully understand the many racsist conotations that the rebel flag has for some people and minorities, and I respect that. Thats why I dont intend on getting it tattoed on me. I also hate rebel flag t-shirts, stickers, license plates, etc...but in no way am I ashamed of my families past or heritage. I respect slipnots choice, though it wouldnt be mine, and I respect people's negative feelings to it. However, I think its only fair to try and understand the "southern sides" point of view about this as a symbol of pride or heritage. Your going to be sh--t outa' luck if you meet some fine black chick one day though:)

Jack_Dubious
08-29-2003, 12:45 AM
This is the official Flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars":
http://www.usflag.org/historical/stars.bars.gif

This is the Confederate Navy Jack:
http://www.usflag.org/historical/scross.gif

The Confederate Battle Flag:
http://www.usflag.org/historical/confed.battle.gif

Konigballer
08-29-2003, 01:06 AM
thanks for the visual supplement to my post:) personally I think the stars and bars looks like crap.

SlipknotX556
08-29-2003, 02:35 PM
The Navy Jack is considered the symbol of the south, I just found that out on the web. Navy Jack is the one I will be getting on my arm and maybe the words old dixie under it :)

Konigballer
08-29-2003, 03:27 PM
yeah but do you actually have any confederate relatives?

SlipknotX556
08-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Actually I do.

mag-hatter
08-29-2003, 04:12 PM

whats to be proud of? the slavery? the fact that they got their asses kicked? the fact that they inbreed (jk lol)? just think about what you're engraving onto yourself.

Rooster
08-29-2003, 07:54 PM
"whats to be proud of? the slavery? the fact that they got their asses kicked? the fact that they inbreed (jk lol)? just think about what you're engraving onto yourself."

Proud of a way of life that is lost on the moronic masses that have been allowed to over-populate this country. A vast majority of southern families did not own slaves, my ancestors included. They did not get their asses kicked, and in fact the only reason that the south did not imediately rejoin the union with full stature and all rights of any existing states was becuase John Wilks Booth shot the president in the head, and the liberal scum in the congress felt they had some sort of moral authority to try to teach the south a lesson. Its a tragedy Booth couldn't have killed an American traitor like Thadeus Stevens. Maybe the idiocy of the modern liberal could have been quelled if the grandfather of their lunacy had been taken out that day. Had it not been for the treachery of the liberals in congress, the war would have gone on for decades, perhaps generations.

SlipknotX556
08-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by mag-hatter

whats to be proud of? the slavery? the fact that they got their asses kicked? the fact that they inbreed (jk lol)? just think about what you're engraving onto yourself.

1/4 of southern people owned slaves, some were even allowed to learn how to read and wrtie, they were treated like family. But then you have that small amount of people who owned them and beat them and killed them, but it was a small amount. Also the south were not the first to have slaves, slavery was around for a very long time, dating back to the time of the aztec people. I believe the north even had slavery for awhile, during the revolution.

MiniMag84
08-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Owning a large plantation and slaves was the ideal life for a southern man back in what? 1735? But the men that could not afford to buy the land and slaves still dreamed of one day owning it.

Army
08-30-2003, 01:32 AM
If you know NOTHING of the North/South conflict, please do not prove your ignorance by posting silly drivel.

States Rights was the centerpiece for secession. Slavery had nothing to do with the declarations of war until 1863 (yes, that's 3 years into the war, not the beginning). Lincoln himself, at the start of his first term, refused to declare and end to slavery, as he knew legally that it was a state issue. Many southern blacks owned plantations and slaves too, because some STATES did not agree with the Dred Scott case, and excersised their constitutional option of not being relegated to Federal opinion.

Southern pride was already an established attitude long before the Civil War. Southern gentlemen prided themselves on their "gentile" ways of society, and looked down upon the boastful prudes of the North. The South embraced the land and their history, while the North wrapped itself in modern technology. It was attitudes waiting for a fight, and they got it. City boy Vs Country boy, it was inevitable.

The only reason the CSA battle flag is now thought of as redneck or racist, is because of all the junk seen on TV, and the false history you are being taught in school. Do you have any problem with flying your own states flag? No? Well, that is the same pride that keeps living on in the South.

As for a CSA Battle flag tattoo on a transplanted Yank......yall's itchin' fer trouble, boy!

bornl33t
08-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Army
If you know NOTHING of the North/South conflict, please do not prove your ignorance by posting silly drivel.

States Rights was the centerpiece for secession. Slavery had nothing to do with the declarations of war until 1863 (yes, that's 3 years into the war, not the beginning). Lincoln himself, at the start of his first term, refused to declare and end to slavery, as he knew legally that it was a state issue. Many southern blacks owned plantations and slaves too, because some STATES did not agree with the Dred Scott case, and excersised their constitutional option of not being relegated to Federal opinion.

Southern pride was already an established attitude long before the Civil War. Southern gentlemen prided themselves on their "gentile" ways of society, and looked down upon the boastful prudes of the North. The South embraced the land and their history, while the North wrapped itself in modern technology. It was attitudes waiting for a fight, and they got it. City boy Vs Country boy, it was inevitable.

The only reason the CSA battle flag is now thought of as redneck or racist, is because of all the junk seen on TV, and the false history you are being taught in school. Do you have any problem with flying your own states flag? No? Well, that is the same pride that keeps living on in the South.

As for a CSA Battle flag tattoo on a transplanted Yank......yall's itchin' fer trouble, boy!

werd! Army knows his STUFF! What baffels me is why are blacks still trying to take whites to court saying we "own" then for making them slaves? Don't they know that black ppl held slaves too?! I'll stop there :D

darklord
08-30-2003, 09:09 PM
This reminds me too much of an episode of South Park... Chef wanted to change South Park's flag (a picture of a black guy being hanged with four white guys throwing their arms up), but local gun aficionado Jimbo kept insisting that the flag had historical value.... lol, good stuff.

The bottom line is, who cares? Unless he's going around acting blatantly racist I have no problem with it. I mean, if you have a German flag on your arm, does that make you a Nazi? No, of course not.

Even if all you haters keep flaming him and posting against his actions, does this mean he's going to not do it? Nope, not at all. Does it influence his decision? Possibly. But honestly, if some idiot got the Sopranos logo tattoed on his back, would Italians be all up in arms about it? No. You people are just trying too hard to get something out of it... by the same means, I could say "You are human. Humans kill babies. Therefore, you kill babies." Baby killer!!!!! :rolleyes: :p

ERut
08-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by darklord

Even if all you haters keep flaming him and posting against his actions, does this mean he's going to not do it? Nope, not at all. Does it influence his decision? Possibly. But honestly, if some idiot got the Sopranos logo tattoed on his back, would Italians be all up in arms about it? No. You people are just trying too hard to get something out of it... by the same means, I could say "You are human. Humans kill babies. Therefore, you kill babies." Baby killer!!!!! :rolleyes: :p

Like I've said before, I know that you're probably not a racist(but come to it, you haven't actually said anything to the contrary). Still, I dont think its a good idea to get something that to most people has a connotation of racism, regardless of your reasons for getting it.

People aren't going to assume that your tattoo is about southern pride, especially because you aren't an "old dixie".

Besides, what if you do meet the girl of your dream, and she just happens to be black. I dont think shes going to like it, even if it is about southern pride.;)

NORCAL
08-31-2003, 11:09 PM
I got a Tribal design that covers the outside of my lower left ankle up my calf. One color, 200 bucks. The only problem is they are addictive, you intend on getting one small to medium size then you want more and bigger. as for design, who cares! Its your body, your decision.

As for the person that said you won't last in his hood (orange county). Isn't Orange County rich white republican teritory. What are they gonna do, cut his schools state funding, recall his governor then sick the NRA on him?

ERut
09-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by NORCAL
As for the person that said you won't last in his hood (orange county). Isn't Orange County rich white republican teritory. What are they gonna do, cut his schools state funding, recall his governor then sick the NRA on him?

Yep, it is, but its also surrounded by the rest of CA, which happens to be overwhelmingly liberal.

Besides, the liberal parts is where he might run into trouble with a tat like that...

ZAust
09-01-2003, 02:35 AM
damn it was hot today. lets blame it on the democrats. and yes, orange county is a traditional white, republican stronghold. except about 10 miles northwest of there is south central la. and my friend, youll last about 5 minutes(if that long) there.

Pokaris
09-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by MiniMag84
*Not siding with the confederate haters*

But the blacks that lived in the North were free and usually had jobs. Plus the opportunity of boasting about their 50 acres of farm.

When was the Civil Rights movement vs the Civil War? Where'd all these black farmers go if it was such an opportunity?

Check your history again, you just got PWN3D

MiniMag84
09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Pokaris

When was the Civil Rights movement vs the Civil War? Where'd all these black farmers go if it was such an opportunity?

Check your history again, you just got PWN3D

Hmmm, I think it's in my U.S. History book somewhere. I'll look it up again though.

But really, "you just got PWN3D" is a little childish considering you just challenged my statement. I'm not trying to offend anyone in this thread, I suggest you do the same.

NORCAL
09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ZAust
damn it was hot today. lets blame it on the democrats. and yes, orange county is a traditional white, republican stronghold. except about 10 miles northwest of there is south central la. and my friend, youll last about 5 minutes(if that long) there.

It is hot today, damn democrats. Smoggy too, damn republicans, forgot to mention the humidity, damn green party. Party Politics suck.

Any way, that kid is from OC not South Central, no matter how close he is it is still a different world.

AndrewGore(OTB)
09-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Is this about tattoos anymore? anywho, Im just waiting to see if can get the artist that did some board graphics to draw something up for me.

andrew

darklord
09-01-2003, 04:44 PM

Like I've said before, I know that you're probably not a racist(but come to it, you haven't actually said anything to the contrary). Still, I dont think its a good idea to get something that to most people has a connotation of racism, regardless of your reasons for getting it. I'm not a racist. I'm very much against racism, and I'm asian. I just don't care for this fanaticism about some issues... I agree it may not be a good idea, especially if he got lost in say, Harlem, but it's his body, and whether he does something stupid to it or not is his own decision.

MiniMag84
09-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Every time someone say something along the lines of, "don't get the tattoo." Slipknot or someone shoots him down. This thread seems to serve no real purpose. If you want it, get it. But don't sit and shoot down every single person saying you shouldn't get it. If you're that determined just go get it.

ERut
09-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Any way, that kid is from OC not South Central, no matter how close he is it is still a different world.

sure it is, assuming he never leaves orange county. Besides I'm rich, white, and will probably register republican when I turn 18, and I don't think he should get the tattoo. Its not only liberals who think that its not such a good idea.

--------------------------------

Find me one black dude who is born and bred southern and wants to get the flag tattooed on his arm out of southern pride.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to get the tattoo, or do to your body what you like, all I'm saying is that you better know what you believe in and what you want other people to think you believe in. Because all this "if you like it, get it without thinking about what it means to anyone else" is BS.

Heres a challenge for you when you do get it: go up to the biggest, burlyest black guy you can find and try explaining to him that the tattoo is about southern pride. Or for that matter try getting hired by a black guy who sees your tattoo.

My point is, it DEFINITELY DOES matter what other people think about your tattoo, so don't listen to the people telling you it doesn't.

ZAust
09-01-2003, 09:39 PM

It is hot today, damn democrats. Smoggy too, damn republicans, forgot to mention the humidity, damn green party. Party Politics suck.

i think he has said that he does actually live in la, but deperately wants to move to orange county. but whatever, thats not the issue. you better be damn sure in what you believe about the flag and its meanings before you get it. eric hit it right on the head. a tattoo is a personal statement, one which is seen by other people, not just represented by yourself. this statement will have an effect on everyone else you meet in your life, both positive and negative.

NORCAL
09-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Blah Blah Blah. Enough censorship. If I were thinking of getting a rebel flag tacked on my body I would do it just to piss off all the, "think of how everyone else feels," people. When did it become not okay to have your own opinion and express it. If his rebel flag upsets people he will have to explain it not you. Blah Blah Blah

bornl33t
09-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Blah Blah Blah. Enough censorship. If I were thinking of getting a rebel flag tacked on my body I would do it just to piss off all the, "think of how everyone else feels," people. When did it become not okay to have your own opinion and express it. If his rebel flag upsets people he will have to explain it not you. Blah Blah Blah

right on, offend ppl maybe it will further their tolerance for being offended.:p

ERut
09-02-2003, 12:07 PM
When did it become not okay to have your own opinion and express it.

If his rebel flag upsets people he will have to explain it not you. Blah Blah Blah

I said earlier, he should be able to get it if he wants to.
I know he will be the one explaining, Im only trying to make his life easier, because I think if he ever leaves his all white southern area he might regret it.

gam-e
09-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Besides, what if you do meet the girl of your dream, and she just happens to be black. I dont think shes going to like it, even if it is about southern pride.;)

isn't the girl of your dreams supposed to be understanding and love the person for who he is?

i got no idea though, all this divorce crap has seemed to erase and desensitize peoples perception of love and marriage.

Dion

For the Record: I think MagHatter is about the most ignorant (in the classic sense of the word, and in the sense that it is a voluntary misfortune) person on the AO forum and i am going to make sure that he is Removed from the Race Riot Revolution. We preach tolerance and knowledge, and he has proven himself inept at both of these.

giblit
09-02-2003, 06:34 PM
its not that big of a deal getting a confed flag on your arm, id get it if it were me, im a redneck and proud of it, dont random poeple opinans on tats, get something thats you.

magmonkey
09-02-2003, 10:05 PM
a tat is a personal thing, do what you feel is right, and the going rate for a competant artist is about $100 per hour

jinxst
09-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Get whatever, theres always more room. But I suggest thinking outside of your one dimensional red,white, and blue box. Good luck.

jinxst = www.wayne-b.com

Bensongg
09-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I have been a professional tattoo artist for about 7 years now, I have worked in shops and bars, currently working "underground" out of a studio in my house. I have seen and tattooed the wierdest and un-PC stuff you have ever seen. I know artists that refuse to do certain tattoos for varying reasons. I am not one of them, and Im sure there are many more like me. There has been the occasional person with a design that I just dont wanna do, Ill just jack the price up so high they wont get it, at least from me anyway. I do ask people their reasons for the tattoo, and will remind them that it will be there forever, but it is their choice. If they feel strongly enough about it, I really have no problem doing it. I dont judge.
As for me personally, Ive got my entire left arm sleeved, flames around my right wrist, an iron cross with the words "Class Not Race, Pride not Prejudice" on my elbow, a skull on my right shoulder, traditional swallows on the tops of both my hands, a sun, moon, and star on my left hand, my name in old english letters going down my right forearm, a female warrior on the left side of my chest, an angry sun on the right side of my chest, a twisted version of DaVinci's "Proportions of Man" in the center, and the word "Godsize" across my stomach, tribal design on my right knee, comic book Thor on my right calf, a raised fist on my outer right calf, a tribal design with a tattoo machine on my left inner calf, another sun below that, a pair of tied hands on my outer left calf, tribal design running the length of my throat with a star below it, the word UNITY on the right side of my neck and a heart with a girls name on the left side of my neck and a tribal design on my chin below my lip. Im saving my back for one great big piece, just havent decided what yet.

Whew, I probably forgot a couple, but if you see me on a field somewhere, come on over and say wassup.

As for the Confederate Flag thing, remember that it is permanent and you will probably have to explain yourself more than once. But if you really want it, go ahead and do it.

ERut
09-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Would you say tattoos are addicting?

fire1811
09-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Would you say tattoos are addicting?

YES

well for me, my brother and a few others i know they where.
you get one you want another......then another

but as long as you get something you will like till the end, addiction is good :D

Bensongg
09-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Most people who say they dont want another one will get another when they cant remember the pain.

i like tictacs
09-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Tats are great and dandy until you're 50 years old, don't want it, and realized you could have put that money to something worthwhile.

Bensongg
09-12-2003, 11:22 PM
When Im 50, I'll still be slinging ink. I made that decision when I got the tattoo on my chin. Long before then, I will have my own shop with my daughters slinging right beside me. And I dont think Ive paid more than $200 for all my tattoos combined.
Tattooing is a way of life, its a subculture that is shared by millions of people every day.

ERut
09-14-2003, 12:01 PM
What does it feel like while your getting it?

magmonkey
09-14-2003, 03:11 PM
it depends on where you get it done

tougher areas like outside the arm feel like someone is giving you and indian sunburn

more sensitve areas can hurt quite a bit more

fire1811
09-14-2003, 03:15 PM
after 10-15 minutes it doesnt really hurt its just one of those pains you know is there but dont really....hurt....umm..yeah get it lol

it does hurt though if you have like 3 hours done and then the artist takes a 30 minute break. your arm becomes tender and when you get back.....but still worth all the pain

jdev
09-14-2003, 04:30 PM
christ. he starts a thread about asking for prices on tattooing, and he gets a history lesson.

*insert swear words and cursing here* people. [thank you army] its not your body. dont worry what he wants go get. he asked for prices on the work, not opinions of it.

slipknot. my tattooist charges $75/hr. I get my tattoo work for free because I do computer work for him and some webdesign for him. barter system.

Now depending on where you go around here, it ranges from $100 to $200 an hour. i am sure if you check around you, you will see fluxuating prices as well. the place I go to is a private studio, not a storefront studio like many around here are. all of them do a decent job of work, my tatttooist included (of course, otherwise I would not have 3 tattoos from him)

depending on the size of the tattoo, will depend on how long it takes. I recently finished up one of my tattoos, and it was about 7 hours in the chair, took 2 sittings to finish.

check this thread:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87183

the tattoo is about 11 inches tall on my calf and about 5 inches in total width. wraps around my shin to side of my calf. scroll towards the bottom, its the piece entitled "autumn"

so. good luck in whatever you get. dont let other peoples opinions on what you want sway you from getting your tattoo.