PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gurus...I NEED HELP!

Doobie
08-26-2003, 11:24 PM
For some reason, IE is lagging behind all my input devices. As I type these words, My cursor is moving through empty space, and 3 seconds later the words appear. If I scroll with my mouse I have to make little moves or else it will go too far when it finnaly catches up. If I mouse over a link, I have to wait at least 3-5 seconds for my pointer to change, recognizing the link. Then after, clicking my mouse, it may not respond fo another 3-5 seconds or longer. There in nothing running in my system tray and when I ctrl-alt-del, these are the only things running in the background:
Explorer
findfast
cfd
osa
Systray
Qttask

:confused: Any help would be appreciated.
BTW I have upgraded Explorer to the newest ver. and re-installed my Windows ME.
Thanks in advance.

MantisMag
08-26-2003, 11:33 PM
what are your system specs? killing findfast should give you a little boost. your computer might just be too damn old. i know mine took forever to load anything. wasn't quite as bad as yours though.

Doobie
08-26-2003, 11:43 PM
It's old...233mhz. But, it has been fine up until 3 days ago. No changes to the system at all. I even ran a virus scan and.. nada.
What does findfast do anyway?
BTW..."loading" isn't the problem. Pages load fast (I have cable) they just don't interface well withmy keyboard or mouse. All my other programs work and run fine. I'm seeing this only with IE.
:confused:

Restola
08-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Might be the newer versions of IE not expecting to be running on such a dated system, or maybe a windows patch did it.

I'm really just guessing, but if you get desperate try uninstalling whatever version of IE you have and installing the oldest one you can find. Maybe uninstall a few patches. You'll be re-opening potential holes, and may have to put up with a few bugs, but on the flip side you could UPGRADE to a faster system for pennies.

MantisMag
08-27-2003, 02:34 AM
heh. the old system i was referring to was a 233. anywho i'd agree with restola's suggestion. go back to an earlier version of IE. i was running an older version of IE. also running the last version of media player before they went all bubbly and added visualizations and everything. you've gotta deal with the fact that people aren't writing software that's meant to run well on your computer. with your computer you have to take the stance of "if it ain't broke don't fix it." so unless it's a fix for a problem don't update anything. it'll just slow you down.

oh and findfast keeps an index of all your files so that running file searches goes faster. it eats up a lot resources keeping tabs on everything. i'd get rid of it. i never had it running on the old computer. it wasn't worth it.

frustrated
09-04-2003, 12:58 AM
just wondering here, did this slow down happen before or after installing the new version of ie? anothing thing i have to ask is why do you have a 233 system when you can afford to pay for cable, the whole thing seems a little goofy to me there. i actually used to have the same problem sometimes, but i myself don't use internet explorer anymore as it is just a pain in the butt. i'm in no way an expert, but if ya have any more information i could try and help.

Doobie
09-04-2003, 10:30 AM
The slow down happened quite a bit after I added the new IE. It just slowed down one day. I checked my recources, and I only have 63% available. There is NOTHING in my system tray and very little runing in the background, nothing that would eat 40% of my recources anyway. I have found a fix though....

I'm buying a new computer:D

Thanks for your help guys!

frustrated
09-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Well i agree 100% with the decision you made, because for all the troubles it's giving you, a system that old really isn't worth the effort. Just wondering though, when was the last time you cleaned out your computer?

Doobie
09-04-2003, 01:53 PM
I usually do it every month, but I just got back from Iraq and it has not been done for six months. I did clean, virus scan, defrag, and update everything in an effort to fix the problem. I think I agree with Mantis... it wasn't broke so i shouldn't have fixed it. I think I may have overupdated the machine. Should not be a problem with this new one. i'm gonna drop some serious coin to make sure it will be "relevant" for a while.
Thanks again

pito189
09-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Good lord Doobie get rid of ME, and that would probaly fix all your problems. Me is totally worthless, It would freeze up and crash daily when I had it. I finally just broke down and bought XP. Haven't had a crash or freeze up in nearly 8 months. :)

Doobie
09-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Hey Paul!
I have had ME for about 2 years now and this is the first problem I've had. This old dog I have now would probably explode if I put XP in it!:eek:
It's a done deal anyway. I just dropped about $2,500 on a racecar machine that will allow me to edit video (Doobie productions?), music, burn CD's and DVD's. I won't be getting passed up and made obsolete too soon with this.:D
Thanks for the suggestions though.

pito189
09-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Doobie...NICE, what processor?

Doobie
09-05-2003, 02:31 PM
First off...we need a life.:)
Second...3G
Third...you playing at Campbell tommorrow?

pito189
09-05-2003, 02:35 PM
3G, dang I didn't know they were up to 3 already.

No I won't be at campbell, I'm in Knoxville. I'm trying to find some free time to get home. Have some fun out there. :)

MantisMag
09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
B or C?

Doobie
09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
:confused: