PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cut LX Bolt spring

ignatz
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
I just sent a marker into AGD got repair and the repair invoice indicates that they cut my middle LX spring. I understand what that does for the mag, but my question is how do you know how much to cut the spring? Trial and Error? Thoughts?

athomas
08-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Trial and error works here. If the gun fires, but not reliably with the middle spring and the short spring makes the marker a little harder on paint than you would like, then you can gradually cut down the middle spring until it shoots consistently. That would give you the maximum protection vs reliability of any setup.

ignatz
08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
athomas - As usual, Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I though.

Has anyone actually cut their own spring? If so, how much did you chop? I'll try to get some pics of my different springs later.

athomas
08-28-2003, 11:58 AM
On one of my first retro setups, I had to cut the middle spring to get reliable operation. I cut a 1/4" of wire at a time until the marker fired reliably. I ended up cutting about 3/4" of wire off which reduced the overall height of the spring by about 1/8".

Knowing what I know about the level 10 now, I would have broken the o-ring in using the smaller spring and then switched to the middle spring later. It probably would have worked without the trimming.

JT3
08-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I just cut one of my springs down. My middle (red) spring wouldn't fire the gun at all, but rather than waste that one, I used the long (silver) spring which, obviously, was also completely unusable. I simply placed all three springs side by side, and cut the long spring to be somewhere in between the short (gold) and middle springs.

I cut a bit long the first time (erred on the side of caution), and it wouldn't fire consistently, so I nicked off about another 1/2 inch. Everything works perfectly now.