PDA

View Full Version : magnetic trigger, for the old style mag

n8do99
08-27-2003, 04:47 PM
i dont know if this has been done to the older mags, but i am going to try it.
i am going to try and make it a magnetic trigger. and buddie of mine installed one on his B2K2, and it ripps like mad. anyone know is this has been done? if not i am going to do it. ill post more when my magnetics come in.

Sancho'sZ
08-27-2003, 09:27 PM
are u thinkin like electro magnets or conventional?
i thought bout it alot on my z but kinda let it float away i may be able to help you though

powerofthegospel
08-27-2003, 11:48 PM
I've got a couple magnets on my classic mag and man do they work great! I posted it up a couple weeks ago here on AO and found out that if you have them on for too long it will probably cause damage to your gun. Mostly because the bolt is not returning as easy which will chip the sear. I'm tryin it for the first time this weekend, so i'll letchya know how it works out.

Peace,
J.J.

QUINCYMASSGUY
08-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Powerofthegospel, can you elaborate on exactly what you did with the magnets? Curious where you set them up, how much force they provided, and such. Thanks!

powerofthegospel
09-01-2003, 06:31 PM
I put one magnet on the back of my trigger, and another on the frame so they attract eachother. I tried it out this weekend (first time with paint) but my magnets were way too strong. I'm gonna try and find some weaker magnets and i'll post my results. I guess it causes damage on your bolt and possibly sear to do this (long term though). Hope this helps ya, if not pm me.

Peace,
J.J.

Sancho'sZ
09-02-2003, 01:53 PM
what if you wired it as a electro magnet, then you wouldn't have the wear issue as they would be off when the gun/battery is off. The whole setup could be triggered by intelli style switch and timed using a 555 to activate the magnets. Ideas?

powerofthegospel
09-03-2003, 06:40 PM
i'm not exactly sure what an electro magnet is or how it works, can i get a little explanation please?

peace,
J.J.

n8do99
09-04-2003, 06:56 AM
how is there wear? what was the gun doing, when you started shooting faster. was is short stroking, bot stick. i just can see how there can be wear,since all the magnits are doing is assisting with the pull

powerofthegospel
09-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Besides assisting the pull, they also provide resistance to the return stroke, or recharge, of the bolt. This causes it to hit the sear in weird ways and can lead to chipping of the sear or bolt (at least that's what i got when i posted about it here on ao). Also when i shot it, i would push it forward (when i got a chuff or something) and the magnets would pull the trigger back, causing it to shoot when i didnt want it to. Hope this helps.

Peace,
J.J.

Sancho'sZ
09-04-2003, 05:08 PM
electro magnets are electronically generated magnetic fields, thusly they are highly variable and reverseible when used in conjunction with a timer chip (555). Theroretically you could have the magnets pull on the way back and puch foreward on the return stroke. But this would be have to be a intensely well timed setup.

powerofthegospel
09-04-2003, 08:06 PM
ya but well worth tryin, i think i'm gonna look into it more, i'll letchya kno if i figure anythin out

Peace,
J.J.

powerofthegospel
09-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Well i found directions on how to make an electro magnet here at http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&FORM=MSNH&v=1&q=electromagnet so i'm gonnna try it out and see what i can do. I have a hole for a trigger stop in my frame so hopefully i can find a way to put the iron in that hole, and put some kind of magnetic metal on the back of my trigger. The trouble is finding a battery to power the magnet that will fit inside my trigger frame. Lemme kno if anyone has any ideas.

Peace,
J.J.

Sancho'sZ
09-06-2003, 03:06 PM
The idea I was toying with and drew out on paper called for a power line from the revvy to run the magnet. Alternately, a battery pack could be mounted some where else (e-mag style) and used to power both revvy and the magnets. The timing circuit i spoke of would make the excessive wear issue dissappear due to reverseing the magnets after the gun fires.

powerofthegospel
09-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Ugh, school sucks so i haven't had time to try any of this out yet. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some time.

Peace,
J.J.

Sancho'sZ
09-13-2003, 05:55 PM
I Hear That, still tryin to nail doin how the ic is gonna work...

QUINCYMASSGUY
09-13-2003, 11:17 PM
This has prompted an idea on how to let it reset, but it might be edgy because it borders on the idea of an electronic switch firing a paintball gun so it wouldn't be a good alternative if SP wins. If a switch was up in the trigger frame so the start of the pull, which is super light for XValves as noted in my other thread, will have the magnet off, but when it gets to the start of the heavier part the magnet turns on and assists the pull. Turning the magnets power up and down lets you tune it so the whole pull is the same weight. The question is can a magnet turn on and off 20X a second and still stay consistent?

Sancho'sZ
09-16-2003, 01:49 PM
well if a wall outlet can switch polarities 60 times a second... As Far as I know it should be able to do it. Technically speaking the skys the limit as far as speed goes, if you can get the timin right it'll actuate

aut911
09-16-2003, 09:04 PM
now let me get this straight. you are trying to make the classic automag, without an electronic board, fire with magnets? that takes the cake on odd things.

aut

QUINCYMASSGUY
09-17-2003, 01:41 AM
I wasn't thinking a classic, I was thinking a retro as the idea requires the greater push back than pull to work. At least mine does. Not sure exactly how that socket thing works, but this would involve a magnet going from off to on so if thats at least half as fast as the polarity switch, it could work.

Sancho'sZ
09-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Well, I personally having a classic, am interested by such ideas, however a ReTro would be far better platform. To Me the next step after getting the magnets to help you pull the trigger, is for them to do it for you (read auto, burst...) using a basic stamp. And as for the SP bit, I believe that only the trigger is magnetized, we aren't fireing a solenoid electronically as that is down the line a bit from the sear.