PDA

View Full Version : Z-Frame/Intelliframe Halfbreed

mupball
08-28-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking about taking a Z-frame, gutting it, and then placing the internals from an intelliframe inside it, and closing it back up. I'd remove one of the grips sides to get at it, but I'm not sure if the Z-frame is shaped right to accept the electronics from the intelliframe. Do any of you know if this is possible? (Assuming I have the ability to remove TWO sets of trigger assemblies and swap them...) The idea is, obviously, to get an intelliframe that fits in my hand like a z.
By the way, will the valve from an e-mag work in a non-emag? i.e. classic, mini, micro, rt.

Sancho'sZ
08-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Are you saying the intelli feed setup (switch, cord asm) into a Z? or are you talking about a full electronic conversion?

Big'n slo
08-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Question #2

The Emag valve will work in a standard mag, you need to replace the on/off pin with the longer correct .750" one though.

ChucktheMAGician
08-28-2003, 10:04 PM
You could do it if you had some frame elves to help you out! :p On a more serious note, you would have to do some major gutting out of the frame. The bottom of the sear isn't even visible when you take the grips off. You would have to remove part of the frame not covered by the grips to have room to get up in there and put a microswitch. I'm sure it could be done if you had enough $$, but buying a HALO and putting it on your Z would've been easier and cheaper. Or just buy a Y!

mupball
08-28-2003, 11:04 PM
So what you're saying is it's going to be a lot tougher than I think.
Sancho'sz: I meant put the cord etc. from the intelli into the z.
You mentioned buying a "Y" instead. What exactly is that?

Sancho'sZ
08-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Yes actually it can be done, I've done it. The difficulty level is not in the immpossible range it just requires you use a power drill. When i did my intelli I bought the switch, cord etc. from RS then I removed the little roller ball on the switch because it gets in the way. I mounted the switch vertically and afixed it by drilling two holes in the right side of the frame then a thrid hole in the back of the frame for the cord to come out of. The final step if in the sear, I had to remove a small amount of metal from the back of the sear to get the switch to clearance. Note that filing sear had no adverse affects on my gun.

ChucktheMAGician
08-29-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by mupball
You mentioned buying a "Y" instead. What exactly is that?
http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=412&CATID=5 :)

mupball
08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Is it just me, or does the Z have a sharper angle than the Y? Along those lines, if it IS a shallower angle, is it a better angle?? Will the Y fit on a micro body, seeing as how that's ptp. I assume they make sure it works with everything, but I've heard a couple of frames (like the hyper) doesn't fit without some re-machining. How easy is the $4 Radio Shack installation? You've been very helpful, thanks. (Even if you kind of have steered me away from the z intelli swap. After all, the Y is cheaper and easier, but there's still that allure to making my own grip...)

ChucktheMAGician
08-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Yeah the Z is has a more drastic angle. I think it will prove to be more useful in the long run. I still haven't got to play w/ mine:( The Z is kinda awkward to carry around if you like to hold it by the grip and the Y is a little more comfy there I've noticed. I just held mine up to my Micro body(to lazy to switch frames) and it looks like it will fit. I know the screw holes are in the same place but I was wondering about whether it would hit the foregrip or not. Installing the Microswitch is pretty easy. http://www.airgun.com/downloads/eureka3.pdf I followed those directions, except I soldered my wires and used a different plug. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1641 For me wiring up the Revy was harder. Trying to decide which way to run the wire and where to have it come out. Some people mount a plug on theirs so there is no wire comming out of the Revy. I can see the allure to making your own grip but the reality of ruining a fine piece of art should be considered to!;) :)

Sancho'sZ
08-31-2003, 10:02 PM
The Z grip is a much sharper angle than the Y but the idea is the same. The idea is that with some ingenuity anything can be done. It really comes down to which grip you find more comfortable. The intelli-feed is a easy mod after the fact.