Thread: Light as Possible

Light as Possible

I havent posted on here in so long but does any one have any idea how light a mag reail can really be milled down to? And also if any one knows what the lightest a body can get? that would be much appreciated also

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    go to themagsmith.com look at the forums. Rough has posted all the weights for stock agd pieces, and his gear.

Edit: I feel generous

http://www.themagsmith.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33

Thanks for the link, but I have poured over that before. I am talking really light for the rail, for example the alpha rail that Logic used to make weighed in at 2.1 oz. I was wondering if anyone knew if people stilled miled that much off or if anyone milled more off. But thanks again for the help.

cyberave68 I think that is what his name is. He is making some sick rails. He had a thread in the misc sell.

Why thank you again ill go look for that thread right now. Do you know about how long ago?

Ill pm you some of his recent designs

you have a pm

Actually i was really comtemplating on using the original carbon fiber frame. They are strong, light, and easy to find. But i dont really do much diving but i am looking to do just a really stripped down clean looking automake that is purely functionality and comfort. I am also looking at using a milled down y-grip also.

p.s. I feel pretty honored to have Rogue posting in my post. You are pretty much an Automag Celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFactor
    ps. Thanks for the compliment. But I am just a regular dude.
    Far from it my good sir, you know perfectly well that you have done an extraordinary amount to help create/sell new automag parts and keep automags "with the times" (or something like that)

Well thank you very much for the advice, so you would suggest using an intiliframe rather than a y-grip? I was also thinking about trying to pick up a new/used Chimera if I could find one.

But about you being an ordinary guy, I disagree with that. You have done so much for Automags and have made so many more options available for Automags. Thank you for that too.

i would go for the carbon fiber frame.if you really want a double you can always chipe the trigger guard and add a dbl trigger.and a foregrip is really pointless if you dont use it much.i think the dallara rail is the lightest but there is rom for more milling.you can have the whole fornt where the twistlock and foregrip mount milled mount if your not using them.
    and for everything else itll be some custom work from a couple people but if your talkin a couple ounces i think its a waste but if you want it it can be done.

Yea a lot of it has to do with budget at the end, but no there will definatly not be a fore grip and really a double trigger is a must. Its just that without a trigger guard the gun isnt tourny legal at all, so that is the hard decision with the carbon fiber frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFactor
    . . . . .Ive got rails down to nothing, but they dont last long before they bend and cause functionality issues. I try to hover around 3.0 oz., and have found that dropping below 2.5 oz. is really running a gamble. . . . . .
    The only way I was able to get the Alpha down to 2.1 ozs was the narrow places in the rail. I cheated basically by making them very narrow but thick walled so they wouldn't bend. Well, that, and they're about 1/8" thinner overall and nearly 2" shorter than an RTP rail since they were based on the Classic style rail. I could have taken more meat out yet, but as you say, they get a little flimsy when you go too far. To get an RTP rail down below 3ozs cannot leave much behind.

I'm afraid that a ULE body, a super light rail, and a CF frame might lead to a marker with stiffness issues. Hell, I've seen mags with ULE bodies on stock RTP rails with Intelliframes bind up LVLX bolts by having one frame screw or the other too loose or tight.

The Mag lives right on the edge of functionality at all times it seems, so you have to cut weight in places that the marker won't mind when it comes to stiffness.

Pretty much any production type rail will be fine, be it RPG, Logic, AGD, or hell, even an Omega if you can find one. And even most one off milled rails will be fine, but I'd be wary of cutting big notches across the rail between the frame screws or under the valve. So long as you keep a long rail going front to back, you should be fine stiffness wise.

Last edited by CoolHand; 01-14-2007 at 02:49 AM.

Lightest rails are based off of the classic rails - as Coolhand stated, they are naturally shorter than an RTP based rail.

That being said - I believe the Logic Alpha was the lightest production rail ever and the DW Dallara (sold by RPG) is the lightse currently in production.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I mean i dont plan on getting a rail then hacking pieces out of it. I know that will lead to flex in any mechanical chassis. Tho i would like to hear all your advice on frame and body selection. I have always been somewhat drawn to the y-grip but Rogue said the intelliframe would be lighter. Also is replacing the single trigger on the carbon fiber frame with a double trigger as easy as replacing any trigger?

Thanks guys again for all the help and its really awesome to be getting advice from so highly respected AO members.

as far as replacing the trigger all you need to do is cut your old guard off and tap the trigger pin out ,line the newone up and knock the pin back in.

Lightest setup, IMO...

Dallara rail (or Alpha if possible)
    Exile Body
    CF frame with Dye double trigger and cut trigger guard
    Whisper Barrel
    Xvalve w/ LX
    DW CF foregrip

IMHO, the UL Frame is noticably lighter and all around better than a CF double trigger'd frame.

Yea I would agree with eh UL frame. I just dont really like the idea of cutting off my trigger guard, but i might pick a CF frame pretty cheap, so i might have both. But actually the lightest barrel available right now is the Stiffi. I mean not by much. I think its less then 20 grams actually but it still is lighter. But what do you guys think about the quality and function Hyper-frames (not as much on weight here)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger
    Lightest setup, IMO...

Dallara rail (or Alpha if possible)
    Exile Body
    CF frame with Dye double trigger and cut trigger guard
    Whisper Barrel
    Xvalve w/ LX
    DW CF foregrip

IMHO, the UL Frame is noticably lighter and all around better than a CF double trigger'd frame.
    This man speaks the truth, assuming that the Exile body is that one that Rogue sells that's cut off the same length as a Classic rail.

I'd also spring for the UL frame. Some places will not let you use a marker with the trigger guard cut off of it. Just an FYI.

Plus, what you possibly might lose in weight (which is debatable I'd say) you more than gain back in both looks and comfort as well as ROF potential and universal acceptance by fields.

Quote Originally Posted by rtjrom
    Yea I would agree with eh UL frame. I just dont really like the idea of cutting off my trigger guard, but i might pick a CF frame pretty cheap, so i might have both. But actually the lightest barrel available right now is the Stiffi. I mean not by much. I think its less then 20 grams actually but it still is lighter. But what do you guys think about the quality and function Hyper-frames (not as much on weight here)?
    A Stiffi may be lighter but I'm not buying the 20 grams (that's 0.71 ozs) bit. I own Whisper barrels, and I don't see how you could make a barrel any lighter and still attach it to a marker. Besides, the Whisper uses Freak inserts and only costs $90 new. A Stiffi is at least twice that, AND you can't use a battle swab in one. I'll toss money Deadlywind's direction over Site any day. At the very least, you know what you're getting from Colin is a fine piece.
    Last edited by CoolHand; 01-14-2007 at 04:04 AM.

Yea i agree with the UL Frame idea but i think i will pick up a cheap used CF frame also and keep it single trigger just for fun. I really like the UL Pro frame but i am kinda made that they no longer come with the option of the splinter trigger. But about the trigger i retract my statement. It is only a difference of 6 grams and I do like the easy availability of freak inserts and I love the quality of Colin's parts. So CoolHand, Colin should thank you for a sale.
    Last edited by rtjrom; 01-14-2007 at 04:12 AM.

Hyperframes are either great or horrible. They can be picky about how your mag is set up and tuned... but one they're ripping they rip hard. They are more or less a commonplace devilframe with a sub-par board in them.

As far as the weight issue... keep in mind that a superior performing marker has far more utility than a featherweight AGG marker. If this weren't true, Mags would have dissappeared long ago - as thier saving grace is their utility by virtue of reliability and performance. I'm not saing saying weight is a moot point due to the fact that some setups can become quite cumbersome... however, squabbling over a few ounces is childish.

Quote Originally Posted by rtjrom
    . . . . . So CoolHand, Colin should thank you for a sale.
    I does what I cans for good folks.

Yea I agree with that but the frame has come down the the UL or Hyper-Frame and the fussyness of the Hyper-frame seems a little annoying since I will be paying a decent amount for it. But about the board in them, I have heard they absolutly ripe if you replace the board with a predator board.