Thread: !?New PaintBall Arena!?

!?New PaintBall Arena!?

Hey any one have any clue how much money it takes to start of your own paintball arena?
    any guesses at all will help.
    thanks
    DJ

I'm willing to bet that if you're asking a public paintball forum this question, you probably don't need to worry about it.
    Calling all Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and other east coast AOers...

AO Mid-Atlantic Meet (planning stages)

Let us know what dates and locations work for you!!

more than you have.
    xvalve, ule body, logic vert frame, WWA barrel
    68/30 PE nitro tank
    cp unimount
    halo B

First, you need insurance. Thats a lot of money
    Then you need a place. Real estate= lots of money.
    Then, you need bunkers. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need fill stations and paint and rentals. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need a staff. That = lots of money.
    Then, you need to advetize. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need the little stuff. That=lots of money.
    Finally, you need to do constant repairs. That=lots of money.

Final Cost.
    lots lots lots lots lots lots lots lots of money.

And, somewhere in between there, you need to get a permit.
    Born to be hated
    Dying to be loved

hahaha figured that much out myself

time to add something useful. if youre making a private field for you and a few friends on private property, throw some sticks in piles, find pallets, old tires, barrels, plywood, etc. , then buy a scuba or two and a fill station. if youre thinking about anything more than that, forget it. either that or mug bill gates

Quote Originally Posted by cdacda13
    First, you need insurance. Thats a lot of money
    Then you need a place. Real estate= lots of money.
    Then, you need bunkers. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need fill stations and paint and rentals. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need a staff. That = lots of money.
    Then, you need to advetize. That= lots of money.
    Then, you need the little stuff. That=lots of money.
    Finally, you need to do constant repairs. That=lots of money.

Final Cost.
    lots lots lots lots lots lots lots lots of money.

And, somewhere in between there, you need to get a permit.

He Hit the nail on the head.

Well all i can say is if you want to actually make profit, stay the heck away from indoor. ALOT more things to pay for than an outdoor. Also if oyu want the nice atomix turf, drop about another 5K for an area just right for one X ball field. would also need lots of netting, another couple K's right there.

Don't do strictly speedball, that cuts you out of about 75% of paintballers who want woods/recreation/scenario. the 25% of tournie guys will find every way to not pay you (of course some of the other guys will do that too, but tournie guys are the worst).

I know because i used to work at an indoor paintball field (the paintball factory). The owner had to close because he had no money left to keep the place open and it was costing more to be open than we took in.

If your looking to open a field to get some income, your looking in the wrong place.

it will cost you more than you can probably afford, and you wont get any money back out of it if you get it going for a long long time. long time.
    upgrade fund: $145

$100,000 to start a hole in the wall place with only one or two fields. That number also assumes you have your own land (farm).

To get a very nice place running your looking at pushing $1 million. If you go out and buy 30 or so acres it's going to cost you an arm and a leg in some places. If your in the middle of nowhere it won't be so bad. I did some rough calculations a while back and it was about $500,000 to set up a mediocre place with 3 fields and you already had your own land.

The easy way, is get the property behind your house (assuming you have some) throw some sticks together, and then use them as bunkers...Then if you and your friends still use it alot, then clear out an area from sticks/roots/annoying rocks so it is virtually leaves/dirt, and then pile some wood together for speedball, once you and your friends pool together some money, get some Plywood from someone who isn't using it, or is throwing it out and actually make near real bunkers...After you have went through the trouble of doing all that, then you could think about starting a feild....Because you probably have no idea of how much work it takes, JUST to set up the feild so that it doesn't look like some 15-18 year olds got some sticks and threw it together.

Once you get that little feild behind your house going, getting other kids to play there, legally, is an entire nother story...

You can do it for cheap but you won't be able to make a profit

Okay I have about 26 acres of land which of 15 acres of it is reasonably flat, while the rest can be left for woodsball. Will this be a suitably sized area to open a Paintball feild?
    I am a declared Carb lover.

Member and president of the Anti-Atkins Group.

Advocate for the promotion of Rice, the truest sticky icky.

Quote Originally Posted by stop whining buy a mag
    $100,000 to start a hole in the wall place with only one or two fields. That number also assumes you have your own land (farm).
    I think your going a little bit overboard with that remark

Fees
    lets see

Yearly insurance cost I am guessing amount to about 4000 to 5000 lets just say 5K

Rental equipment for all those people you plan on having out there. 4000 = 40 tippmans+gear. I am hoping this will be enough, you might start with 20 but eventually you will be overrun.

Cost to build bunkers on the fields hmmm if we are going all out lets say 1 speedball, 1 hyperball, 2 or so woodsballs and a whatever just in case. That is anywhere between 3000 to about 10000 according to how much you spend on your fields when it comes to doing it yourself, materials, and not to mention equipment. So lets just round this off to a nice 6000 right here

Equipment you need at the field includes lawn mowers, weed eaters, air blowers, HPA fill stuff, CO2 fill stuff, some sort of trailer to haul all your rental paintball gear as well as all your filling and other stuff around in. I am just going to throw out a hmmmm lets see

Initial paint for the participants about a 1000

As your statment does not include land I am going to leave it out because that can go anywhere from about 10000 to a heck of a lot more than I have.

A lot but not inlcuded

Oh lastly people to help out. Probably would be best to get friends to help you in most of your set up or people that want to play on the field when it is done who you can pay in free air fills, free game days and other fun stuff.

crap forgot netting. Lets say another 2K there.

All of this comes out to about 25k for about 6 fields. That is not to bad. Advertising is not included because normally that is going to every local college, high school, church and every other place that you can find and spreading the word. But lets say another 1000 here just in case.

So we come out to Twenty seven thousandish. Yes I know I am adding a thousand there. Lets say Thirty thousand as a nice sum if you do not include the land. This also does not include a shop so you are doing this all out of your home.

This number doesn't really get you to the 100000 mark but it still is pretty high.

If anyone wants to add anything feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Death of Rats
    I think your going a little bit overboard with that remark

Fees
    lets see

Yearly insurance cost I am guessing amount to about 4000 to 5000 lets just say 5K

Way low judging by other business insurance costs. Look for insurance costs in the 20-30K range depending on how deeply they get into risk analysis and how much liability protection you are going to need

Rental equipment for all those people you plan on having out there. 4000 = 40 tippmans+gear. I am hoping this will be enough, you might start with 20 but eventually you will be overrun.

$100 for a full Tippman set-up? I may be out of the loop but that strikes me as low.

Equipment you need at the field includes lawn mowers, weed eaters, air blowers, HPA fill stuff, CO2 fill stuff, some sort of trailer to haul all your rental paintball gear as well as all your filling and other stuff around in. I am just going to throw out a hmmmm lets see

Way way low, I would figure closer to 20 - 30K in misc. expenses

Remember most businesses (under general business use) loose money for the first three years, and it takes seven to make back the investment. Assuming you are doing it on business loans and abandoning other sources of income I doubt I would go into it with less than 500K in funding, and likely more by the time one considers expenses for those first three years.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

*scratches head*

Uh, I'm not coming here with any business questions anymore.

No offense everyone.
    God....I guess I was probably returning videotapes.

Quote Originally Posted by SCpoloRicker
    *scratches head*

Uh, I'm not coming here with any business questions anymore.

No offense everyone.

I'm still wondering who will insure a business that carries an inventory, deals with high pressure air systems, and a sporting activity (not even discussing shooting projectiles at one another) for 5K a year. I need to talk to that agent it seems

Here's a good list by someone who knows:
    http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1122213

or,

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1120657

JxTxCxNx on PBN shares a lot of information on running stores and fields.

For prices i'm mostly looking at how much a fill station will cost me everything else i got figured out and i'm looking at about 40,000$ canadian to get the place started but that is excluding the fill station. I'm looking at having 3 arenas 1 woods ball 2 indoor. i'll have differant days for differant game varents like speed ball, pump ball...etc. but all three would run during each day except for winter then i would keep woodsball shut down. As for the outdoor i would build bunkers and other things out of wood. indoor i'm looking at an air field / wood build obstacles. the labour is no issue or money etc. but i would also like some suggestions for the place.

Fill stations cost depend on what you plan on using to fill and how much you are williing to spend. CO2 fill stations can be had for anything from $40 to $200. These are manual stations that will dump and fill from a bulk bottle. CO2 pumps run from $400 to $800 and will require either you use "dead" bottles or an air compressor to make them operate.

HPA is a different story. These cost can be anything from a couple of hundred if you are doing direct fills from bottles to several thousand if you are using a booster type system. It also depends if you are going to use an outside source for your high pressure bottles or if you are going to put in place a compressor system to fill your own bulk storage bottles. The cost is a highly variable thing on this item.

Paintball insurance is only handled by a few companies in the US it seems. The cost depend more on how many players you will have at your field than anything else. The cost can run anywhere from $.50 to $4 per player per year depending on the agent you are dealing with and what type of coverage you are looking for. These companies will direct you in what you can and can not allow at your field, ie full auto, night play etc.

As far as the labor not being an issue or cost, remember you get what you pay for.
    Rick Hood
    Texas Rangers
    www.texasrangerspaintball.com