Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automag v. Autococker

I'd say 'cockers are just as easy, at least if you're pulling it apart completely. They're not tougher, just more spread out and it takes more tools
    Sorry but I have to throw the BS flag on this. Maybe an experienced tech could but not Joe Noob off the street.

Well, it was just as easy for me, at least. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, though, so it all just makes sense to me and I've never had any trouble learning to strip down any marker. Still, it's not very tough. You can see most of parts right in front of you before you even start. And if a knowledgable tech-type teaches someone how to strip down a 'cocker, it should be pretty easy to learn.

Wow... there hasn't been a Mag vs. Cocker thread in a while.

Mags are a barrel with a grip attached to it, and a little simple mechanism that is installed in the rear of the barrel to make the paintballs travel.

Cockers are a tad more complicated. Well, maybe more than a tad...

Same results, only one is simple and one is complex. Do the math.

Right, but simple means you can't tinker so much if you're that type. Not much to mess with in a 'mag valve, but the 'cockers got loads of aftermarket goodies. Pneumatics, internals, you name it. The 'mag has the ULT and the X-Valve. Of course, you could argue the Automag has so few internal upgrades because it's perfect...

Automag:

Autococker:

i used to have a mag heres a pic of it

heres what i sold it for

i actually like my cocker more, even though it hurts to say ti, cause that mag was my first gun ever, and it won me alot of games and respect

Quote Originally Posted by Infurious1
    i actually like my cocker more, even though it hurts to say ti, cause that mag was my first gun ever, and it won me alot of games and respect
    Why exactly do you like it better than your Mag?

Ugh, a Trilogy? Damn dude, that's barely even a real 'cocker.

EDIT: Not a Trilogy, I'm just stupid. Dunno why I thought the hose was coming out of the foregrip and totally didn't see the 3-way...
    Last edited by ThePixelGuru; 04-14-2006 at 03:05 PM.

PnueMagger Guest
    that' not a trilogy (i think).
    I though the trilogy has an unadjustable 3-way(actually 4-way). That one clearly has a standard 3-way with the trigger rod just running thru the the grip.

BTW: is that the new '06 swing frame? They look nice but i've never shot one. How do those '06 frames shoot?

not a trilogy

thats not a trilogy....

05 prostock, looks like the stock 05 wgp hinge frame, i love my mag way more than my too-many-things-can-go-wrong cocker.

...heres proof Im dumb and shiny things attract me

Im very sad I got rid of my mag, because without it, i am not a man. Every night I cry myself to sleep and am tormented by mag owners bunkering me

NOTE HERE: He's still an anime loser and he still looks gai

no, in all seriousness and referring to the topic question: "Is an apple like an orange?" They are both nice guns. Some state the "mags = no timing and no hassle". I had a cocker, I really liked it too. You wanna know why i liked it so much? I didnt f#$% with it. The major problem is kids like /\the above who get one because its shiny and its got lots of parts. Never once do they think about the functions of it, the way it works or the fact taht they are SOL usually when they do take it apart. Mags arent bad guns either, I have a Dallara'd Hyper Xvalved Custom mag(thread somewhere in pb talk). If i had the cash and I didnt like my old school 2001 Dark Angel Pred, I would go and rebuild a nice little raceframed cocker.

Talking Cant help it

some people like my self cant help but to take things apart or to build them to find out how they work......i built mine to have a better knowing about them....they are not as much as a hassele as people make them out to be.......just dont bash them around.. ...

this is the 1 i am building

body is still raw just polished untill i figure out a color to anno it....

but this is one of my fav.

both are fast

i wasnt an idiot and didnt mess with anything, but things like chopping, more places to leak, eventual un-timing without thread lock, short stroking (alot easier on cocker), veloctiy adjusting is a pain (w/o dialer), the list goes on.

and then theres always the mystery autococker accuracy, which for the most part is untrue, i dont know how this came to be, really good hype i guess

Quote Originally Posted by PnueMagger
    that' not a trilogy (i think).
    I though the trilogy has an unadjustable 3-way(actually 4-way). That one clearly has a standard 3-way with the trigger rod just running thru the the grip.

BTW: is that the new '06 swing frame? They look nice but i've never shot one. How do those '06 frames shoot?
    umm i wish i could tell u how the 06 frames shoot, but i only have an 05 prostock and the trigger shoots pretty nicely ive only tested t a couple times so far though

and mobsterboy or cockboy what ever your stupid name is i just want to thank u for proving to me that there are alot of stupid ppl who post in forums, maybe the reason u didnt mess with your cocker was because u were too retarded to understand the simplicity of timing it right , and hey dont flame me u dont even know how long i have been playing paint ok

im just sorry that i have to deal with people like u and i want to apologize to everyone for me taking up thread space

To mobsterboy:
    my name is Isuckcockboy

here are my problems:
    a) maybe the reason u didnt mess with your cocker was because u were too retarded to understand the simplicity of timing it right
    again, noobs with allen keys ruin the reputations of cockers
    b) and hey dont flame me u dont even know how long i have been playing paint ok
    see below

Oh, your a 2k6er, its ok, your allowed to post dumb crap like this

btw, ive timed my own cockers, then I didnt mess with it, because i didnt want to unnecessarily time my cocker again. See above, and you'll understand why i say "Dont mess with it". And again, your a 2k6er, its ok, i dont have to flame, you just flamed yourself. Tell me you've been playing for longer than 4 years and then you can talk.

PnueMagger Guest

Thumbs down

and mobsterboy or cockboy what ever your stupid name is i just want to thank u for proving to me that there are alot of stupid ppl who post in forums, maybe the reason u didnt mess with your cocker was because u were too retarded to understand the simplicity of timing it right , and hey dont flame me u dont even know how long i have been playing paint ok

im just sorry that i have to deal with people like u and i want to apologize to everyone for me taking up thread space
    C'mon, this isn't PBN. There's no reason to be flaming vets. Especially with you're second post here. Just keep the criticism constructive and you'll find these forums some of the best around. Welcome to AO I guess.

I own both a '95 Mag and an '02 Cocker. Both are bone stock. I have two Crossfire 68/3000's, one for each, and have Freak backs for both to use my Freak kit.

I benched them in a vise one day for comparison. (So I have a lot of free time) Each gun had the same tank, as stated above, and used the Freak barrel system, each with a 16 inch TearDrop tip, and the .695 insert in each. I used the same batch of fresh RP Marbalizer paint.

I cronoed each gun to 280 fps.

Each gun was tested individually, using the same vise. The ends of the barrels each time were 18 inches from the edge of the vise, and 8.5 inches off the table. To top it off, I used a laser level to make sure the barrels were vertical.

Each gun, when fired from the vise, could consistently hit a milk gallon I had put on a post 100 feet away, usually 9 out of 10 times. Sometimes 10, sometimes 8, but paintballs aren't perfectly round either.

Free standing I can empty my 200 round VL Revy hopper through each gun in about 20-21 seconds, so don't tell me one gun shoots faster.

The Tac One is in a league of its own, it is very fast.

The trigger pull on the Cocker is slightly lighter, but the travel is longer.
    The trigger pull on the Mag is slightly heavier, but the travel is noticeably shorter.

The new ultra lite Mag trigger, I've heard great things and tried a few! Very nice,lightens up the trigger pull greatly. The Tac One has this mod.

I get more shots from my tank with my Mag than my Cocker, so the Mag uses less air.

The Mag has less internal moving parts than the Cocker.

The Mag has NO external moving parts, unlike the Cocker.

The Mag is way smaller, more compact, and weighs less than the Cocker.

Now, all this being said, I hope my house burns down!! That is the only way my wife will justify me getting a new Tac One, which I want so badly. "You already have 3 nice paintball guns" she says. I am so whipped.

Quote Originally Posted by finnmanpa
    The Mag is way smaller, more compact, and weighs less than the Cocker.

I dunno what you're talking about "way smaller"

Physical dimensions of a Cocker are 22X6.5"
    Physical dimensions of a Mag are 22X6.5"

Both with a Cocker threaded CP 14" barrel hanging off the nose.

Measurements were taken from extreme range of the Back Block (i.e. all the way back) or velocity nut to the tip of the barrel and from the top of the body to the bottom of the trigger frame.

Trigger frame placement is almost identical from rear of the gun to trigger frame (based on .45 style frames). Forward grip placement is also similar (E-Mag battery pack vs. Inline reg).

Measurements were taken from an E-Mag and a 99 Cocker. Pictures avalible uppon demand.

You might have a case with weight, I'm not 100% sure weighing an E-Mag vs. a Mech Cocker would be a fair comparison, though if it came down to it I could weigh my RT Pro and Cocker (though the newer cockers are lighter). Actually let's find out, shall we?

Verdict - Since "weighs less" was also a claim.

E-Mag no barrel w/ CP Rail - 2lb. 15.8 oz
    99 RF Cocker no barrel w/ SP Rail and plastic elbow - 2lb. 15.1oz
    RT Pro Custom no barrel and no rail - 2lb 4.9oz

Consetions -

Current Cockers are lighter than their '99 counterparts because of increased milling both internally and externally. E-Mag and RT Pro both weighed with same Valve and Body, Rails were both RT Pro rails, Inteliframe used on RT Pro.

Conclusion -

RT Pro and current generation Cockers are most likely of similar weights and have nearly identical physical major dimentions (22X6.5"). Cockers have a shorter effective length because of differences in Back Blocks and because the back block measurement was from the loading and not firing position. Bodies are smaller for MAgs though overall hieght remains the same due to Automag Rail system.

Edit: It should also be noted that the physical gun dimensions when not in a playing configuration are actually very different when speaking of length. The pneums on the AC make the gun effectively 3" longer than a Mag (10.25" vs. 13.125" w/ CCM pneums). Removing the front block however does return both guns to having similar dimensions again.
    Last edited by VFX_Fenix; 04-14-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finnmanpa
    Now, all this being said, I hope my house burns down!! That is the only way my wife will justify me getting a new Tac One, which I want so badly. "You already have 3 nice paintball guns" she says. I am so whipped.
    Just so you know, your not alone. I'm still trying to convince my wife that I need a Tac One instead of a Tippmann. She is very aware that all of my friends have Tippmanns and they work fine, but I'm not a Tippmann person. I like to be different.

Thanks for the insight. I like hearing from people who have done some serious testing instead of people who state "My friend has________ paintball gun and it stinks." Which interpreted means "My dogs, aunts, cousin owned one (I think) and he traded it for something else."

BTW My wife is a pretty cool chick, she does let me play more than my friends wives do!

I have had both

Kornbread i have owned both mags and one auotcocker. i bought a new 2003 Kapp reflex autococker. The black to clear fade was what most attracted me. not the autococker or that i heard it shoots farther or anything else. Well i sold the autococker last month on ebay and bought two automags. When i sold my mags to buy the cocker i thought i would like it. i just like mags better , i get more elims, and i am just more comfortable with a mag in my hand. Way more comfortable than when i was using the cocker. One thing to consider is whether or not you will like the center feed on either gun. i myself like the powerfeed bodies better. if you get mag a must is the level 10. i maybe chopped i ball in 4 to 6 cases of paint. thats maybe also because i short stroked it. Hope this info helps.

Mags all the way , a few of my buddies have cockers and spend all their time fixing them imo.

Well lets just say I have been cutting down on my collection ...

I had a RT ULE ... Loved the gun ... didn't use it that much because I enjoy using my Phantom to much.

Well I got my collection down to a 98c, A-5, Phantom ....

I'm picking up my E-Tac today from AGD HQ ....

My wife will kill me if she even finds out, but I just couldn't resist the little devil on my shoulder saying "Do it!!! Do it!!! Do it!!! You know you want to!!!"

I think the devil and the little chamber loading elves are working together.

If I knew I was going to be breaking on an E-Tac I would have kept the Halo hopper I had on my RT ... but that went as part of my auction ....

Oh well ... Looks like I have to sell some of my other crap cause I don't think I'm selling my guns anymore .... Plus the remaining pump guns I have that need to be serviced are going to my Pump Clubs spare pool for people that want to try the Pump concept out.
    AO-IL

Ash:
    "Alright you Primative Screwheads, listen up .... See this?? This is my BOOMSTICK!!!!"

"Well hello Mister Fancy Pants. I've got news for you pal, you ain't leading but two things right now: Jack and **** ... Jack left town."

ATC Paintball Factory Team Member.
    www.atcpaintball.com

Just a quick note I us an RT pro x valve mag.

I have worked on both cockers and mags the first mag I worked on was 5 years before I got mine. Cockers can be easy or they can be hard to fix. I had a kid with a nice one come to me with a box of parts he had brought his cocker to a "cocker shop" to have them fix it and do some mods. The shop charged him a $100 bucks and he got it back in a box of parts. Long story short the guy put it back together wrong. It was the first cocker I worked on and with the printouts it was not hard to work on. On the other hand if I got a box of mag parts I would have it working in no time. I like the mag for the easy setup and easy to fix but there are nice cockers out there

o an after using my old mag 9 of the people i play with are now mag owners.

I'd have to vote Mag. I realize there have been some posts like, "Cockers aren't that hard to take apart/operate once you get used to them."

Well, that's true. I've heard that once you've timed one 7 times you pretty much can do it with no problem. And, to be fair...I'm sure timing a cocker is no more disasterous than installing a Level X. The difference is, you only really need to install a level 10 once...you need to time a cocker every time you completely strip it down.

I recently bought a cocker...sort of a project gun...I just want to learn about them. I'm hoping they won't be too hard to use...but I think it's just a matter of getting used to them.

I'm not much of a tinkerer. When I get a gun set up I like to keep it that way and not have to make any more adjustments to it if I don't have to. This is the main reason I'm looking at a mag. I've had a lot of people ask me why I'm not looking into a tippmann, but the simple fact is that I don't really like how they look or feel.

Lets put it this way, I just traded my CMM e2 cocker for a mech mag Cockers arnt that hard to mantain but they just have so many things to mess with and leak and with mags theres one reg, no timeing, no tuneing, no respringing, and more potential for high proformence. I dont not like cockers but I feel there starting to show their age and are too complicated to be reliable. All that being said I will prolly get a old cocker for cheap to mess with because cockers have backblock mojo

Its all about the feel... I would rather shoot my cockers than any of the many mags i have owned because i prefer the feel. (barring the dallara it was just plain SEXY)

I have both have no used my mag yet but from a hopefully unbiased stand point they do the same thing in diffrent ways mags seem to be a pick up and go where as cocker function best in the hand of a competent tinkerer so if you like to tinker get a cocker if you just want a marker you can just go with get a mag they both are great platform and can both do amazing things so can we stop the debate and say they are both great markers