Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Automag . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjeff
    Well, let it never be said that AOers arent optimists. Lol.

Still, i agree. No use in treading down the same path as every other gun maker. Go pnuematics.
    THANK YOU!!

oh by the way, I went ahead and cleared up this whole "'08 automag" thing.

'08 automag

there it is folks. i'll take 2.

EDIT: except without the freak barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by RRfireblade
    Good points tho ,I appreciate the input. Obviously there are issues to overcome for anything like this to happen. I doubt even in a best case scenerio , a new AGD marker would be maintream persay but that doesn't mean we can't grab ahold of the older more intelligent crowd who knows and cares about how there money is spent and what they get for it. Those are the people I expect to be around the sport in the long haul. But you never really know.

Yeah I know you wouldn't be paying MSRP, but it is close to what you would be charging for it in the end.
    Yeah in the end quality doesn't cost extra, but I have seen soo many examples in many industries where lower grade materials are used, quality control is cut down, and hell some just "make it disposable" because they end up turning over more product as people buy replacements.
    I got a little carried away in that last post. I started to write some points and it turned itself into a rant :P
    Yeah most of that is speculation based on that I get the impression mags are fairly expensive to make, and assuming AGD holds true to the golden rule of business "Business are profit MAXIMISERS" that any ideas we have that are any good, they would have most likely done long ago.

P.S. I am surprised that ule mags are lighter than an x mag...I thought the whole point of redesigning the mag with the X mag was to make it as light as possible...

All mech for $500, yah thats gonna generate alot of sales.. not!!!
    The reason people like E-guns is the ramping and stuff that makes it easier for them to shoot consistently at high rates of fire... period. Plus all the bells and whistles.

Maybe there could be 2 different versions with the mech being significantly cheaper... thats the only way that would work in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRocker
    All mech for $500, yah thats gonna generate alot of sales.. not!!!
    The reason people like E-guns is the ramping and stuff that makes it easier for them to shoot consistently at high rates of fire... period. Plus all the bells and whistles.

Maybe there could be 2 different versions with the mech being significantly cheaper... thats the only way that would work in my eyes.

except for the people who pay $300 for a new X7 plus $200 in upgrades...easy.....

well upgrades keep the market going...

true.

I wonder how good a buisness would do if they made a "milsim" looking body for the Classic.
    Just make it bolt onto the grip frame and take the valve in the back. Seems like you could make a body to look like damn near anything else on the market. MP5s, M-4s, M-1s, ooo m-14a....m249, AKs on and on and on

if you replace the bolt and on-off, you could make it run exactly like a freestyle. I bet you could make something that looks like the front of an ion bolt on the outside, but keep the powertube (and even lvl10 design if you want) on the inside.

You may be able to make something that drops into the current mag body. It would look something like a shocker can over the outside of a thin rim bolt.

Outside of valve modification... If you could fit this into the grip of something similar to the micromag you'd be golden.
    Last edited by FinchMan; 06-11-2007 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao
    P.S. I am surprised that ule mags are lighter than an x mag...I thought the whole point of redesigning the mag with the X mag was to make it as light as possible...
    It was when it came out. A fraction lighter than the Angel Fly if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by FinchMan
    if you replace the bolt and on-off, you could make it run exactly like a freestyle. I bet you could make something that looks like the front of an ion bolt on the outside, but keep the powertube (and even lvl10 design if you want) on the inside.

You may be able to make something that drops into the current mag body. It would look something like a shocker can over the outside of a thin rim bolt.

Outside of valve modification... If you could fit this into the grip of something similar to the micromag you'd be golden.
    i'm pretty sure us mag owners get enough "whoa, is that the new ION??" we don't need to actually make it look like an ion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
    It was when it came out. A fraction lighter than the Angel Fly if I remember right.
    Yeah I heard that about being lighter than the fly aswell, but later someone said it wasn't so...I never really cared since I have a warp and a massive 12V mod for it anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemKinder
    i'm pretty sure us mag owners get enough "whoa, is that the new ION??" we don't need to actually make it look like an ion.

I had one particularly agg kid say my Emag looked like an "old school ion"

I told him he was sorely mistaken.

he argued and i just let him go. Was quite funny actually. I mean, he was SERIOUS about it.

oh well.

so far i've been lucky enough not to encounter one of those kids. but i read about it all the time on the forum. i mean, they really don't look like an ion. atleast not to me anyways. i suppose MAYBE one of the crazy bodies like a karta or dallara MIGHT be mistaken for an ion...maybe.

i kind of wish some kid WOULD say that to me so I could laugh at him. alot. =D

I get "Is that a mini?" with my Emag.
    When I had my hyperframed RT/pro I got "I've never seen a shocker like that!"
    With my Tac-One I get "What's that?"
    I'm expecting the karta bodied, hyperframed RT/Pro I'm building to get similar comments.

If it's going to have a similar sear assembly, actuate it 'cocker' style, a.k.a., RT chrono mode. When the gun cycles, it rests with the sear still dropped. This way, you achieve consistent FPS at any ROF. This was similar to a mode of fire I wanted Miscue to include in his Emag code, but was decided against so the solenoid wouldn't melt.

In a new setup, you could have the resting position of the sear assembly opposite to the Emag's.

Break-beam eyes.
    No mechanical backup.
    1-piece body. No rail.
    Clicky microswitch trigger with magnet return.

so far i've been lucky enough not to encounter one of those kids. but i read about it all the time on the forum. i mean, they really don't look like an ion. atleast not to me anyways. i suppose MAYBE one of the crazy bodies like a karta or dallara MIGHT be mistaken for an ion...maybe.

i kind of wish some kid WOULD say that to me so I could laugh at him. alot. =D
    I saw Ions before I ever heard of them...the first one I saw I thought was a mag with a terrible attempt at a chord body

Quote Originally Posted by Tao
    I saw Ions before I ever heard of them...the first one I saw I thought was a mag with a terrible attempt at a chord body
    HA! that's the first i've heard of someone confusing an ION for a mag!

electro or electro pneumag. Either one.
    Break-beam eyes. If break beams, level 7. Eyes + lvl 10 would make for too much upkeep.
    unibody design like xmag.
    and maybe magnetic trigger. The rest doesnt matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by G Squat
    Eyes + lvl 10 would make for too much upkeep.
    Yes because everyone know's that the level ten requires a lot more maintenace than the level 7

Have a pure mech version (Something like a ULE setup, Level 10) that can be ran off Co2 (for all those woodsballers and people that can't get HPA conveniently). Make a couple different markers, say they come stock with a pneumatic frame, and other version that's electronic. Eyes wouldn't really be necessary if you are using level 10. I would just stick with level 10 and no eyes myself, but other people will be different.

Mags have always proved that electro is unnecessary.

Never change that.

Aside from that, cocker threaded would sell better, but I still prefer twistlock

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_scummm

Never change that.

Aside from that, cocker threaded would sell better, but I still prefer twistlock

sorry but that kind of thinking will keep sales low, especially for a $400+ dollar marker. $200 maybe

Quote Originally Posted by DocRocker
    Originally Posted by aqua_scummm

Never change that.

sorry but that kind of thinking will keep sales low, especially for a $400+ dollar marker. $200 maybe
    you're both right. so....me thinks both should be available for the '08.

has anyone thought about starting a thread on PBNation to the effect of "what would it take to get you to buy a mag?" or something like that.
    Last edited by ProblemKinder; 06-16-2007 at 07:20 AM.

I think the answer to the 2008 automag question is simple:

Remake the Xmag with better ACE.

I'd love to be able to buy an all mech gun, or an all electro gun. I'd buy one of each!

"what would it take to get you to buy a mag?"

Thats actually a good question. id be interested in the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjeff
    "what would it take to get you to buy a mag?"

Thats actually a good question. id be interested in the responses.
    To get good responses from a lot of people, rename it first.

Whether or not the "08 Automag" could be electronic or not, a mech model should be made along with it. The market is already flooded with electros; we need more mechs on the market. Scratch that, more good mechs on the market.

Another thing that would be cool is versatility. Run CO2 safetly, as well as HPA, and make it quick and easy to change from electro/pneu to pure mech and all the way down to pump. I know 'Mags already "can", but good luck getting a pump kit. And I know 'Cockers can too, but it's a bit difficult and not really good for alterations at the field.

My $0.02
    Autocockers are the greatest markers ever made.
    ~The greatest BACKUP markers to AUTOMAGS!!

Only temporary, get'n a new sig soon.

Okay, I read the first 2 page of the thread, but now skip to the end to add my opinion.

AGD, or whoever designs the marker or valve, needs to think a little more outside the box, especially in utilizing the rail, internal routing of air, and even the air chamber itself.

For instance, if you've not seen the exploded view of the MINI then you wouldn't know that there is a little beer can shaped air chamber in the grip frame, and that it houses the board and 9v battery in the front grip.

A drop in spool valve design is simple, efficient, and would work perfectly. The spool valve design is certainly not exclusive to any one paintball company.....the spool valve has been around for a long time and predates the shocker or "NOVA" (do you know the NOVA?).

With the spool valve you could seriously lower operating pressure and significantly increase air efficiency.

I realize that the AIR valve is somewhat of a spool valve design and was WAY ahead of it's time when Tom released the Automag. That being said, it's still a solid solid solid valve, obviously, and will be for a long time. But it is dated, certainly.

I agree with a previous post, need three guns - those being a fully Mech, fully Electronic, and a pump version.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hudnall
    I agree with a previous post, need three guns - those being a fully Mech, fully Electronic, and a pump version.

First, I remember the Nova!

Second, they don't nessecarily(sp?) need to release all three models of the gun, but definately an upgrade system for them. I love pump, and I love electro. So, for me to be able to swap from either or AT the field would be amazing.

"Pump game anyone?"
    "Count me in!" (swap from electro to pump)
    Next game
    "Speedball?"
    "Hells yeah!" (swaps out pump option for electronic)

See? That'd be cool. Throw it into mech sometime, too. That'd rock.

well, let me add that the pump version could simply be a high end pump, where the pump players would obviously recognize the quality and history of AGD. Otherwise, the Mech and Electro versions are the centerpieces of the new marker.