Thread: Intellectual Property

Intellectual Property

In this thread, I would like anyone who might have IP they would be willing to contribute to the group to list it and provide a brief, non-identifiable description.

I do not want anyone to provide any information which might compromise their IP. So, if you've got a patent on a loader that makes its own paintballs inside using nanotechnology, please simply state "loader", or, at most, non-gravity feed loader. Likewise, if you've created an all electric marker that compresses its own gas, fires 10,000 rpm and will operate for a year on one triple A battery, simply state "electronic marker".

This goes for IP that is currently held by you - either owned or licensed, IP that is in process (and that you expect will grant) or items you are planning on applying for (although if you don't want to give any hints for the latter, simply state "I have IP I am applying for that I think might be of interest to the group."

I currently have electronics, loading mechanisms and a valve system that are either in application or will be submitted for application within a few months that I think would be applicable.
    VENGEANCE PAINTBALL DISTRIBUTORS
    X.O. INDUSTRIES PAINTBALLS

I have a number of valve systems that I will be submitting applications for in the near future which are waiting on machine time for proof of concept, they should be applicable.

Which brings up a question as well. In a situation like mine, where I have the tools and ability to do a prototype myself, but currently lack the time, what is probably the best course to take? Several, if not all, of the designs I'm working on I am more than willing to use with the proposed group (provided the mission statement doesn't get entirely bastardized before the time for any action comes). Should another person likewise interested in the group who does have time and ability to build something, take on a proof of concept design to expedite things? Are they better left to an individual until the IP is at least underway (written or applied for)? Should a list be created of people on all sides of the fence so that the workload and rewards can be distributed and the process be sped up? Are people willing to share their ideas/skills pre-IP grant with others in the group in the hopes that someone isn't out to snatch it for themselves?

good points and valid ones - to which I'll add.

Suppose my valve 'concept' and your valve "concept" are essentially the same? Do we endorse both? Neither? Which of us does the group work with? Do we each give up some of our interest and work together? Or does one of us accelerate their IP application...?

I have several loader, marker, and air system ideas. Some are in late design and getting ready for prototyping, others are earlier. I can see at least three of the designs being patentable and marketable.

ok; question:

suppose that the group shifted its focus and was, instead, a "collective" for obtaining IP?

members would sign up and "buy" their membership, which would go into a fund for application fees, attorney fees, defense, etc.

members - and non-members - could apply to the group to have their designs evaluated. if a design gets vetted, members would decide how much funding to give the project and would receive licensing rights and a percentage of ownership or royalties.

licensing would be "open" in the sense that fees are reasonable and anyone can obtain one - no exclusivity is offered.

What if a corporation buys membership?
    So you guys are talking about finished ideas? I thought the group would be so individuals could tell everyone their idea, and the group would finish it together. We could even do things like design a whole marker.
    The "who does the money go to" question is difficult, but who knows how much money will ever come out of this.

I have something that is pending (filed Dec 2005, patent is in process.) Since it is in the system I can mention it.

A patent for a stacked tube spool valve gun design. It also covers all stacked tube spool valve designs where in the spool is in a separate tube from the bolt, but communicates the action to move and control the bolt through a linkage, lever, or gear.

I have ways to make it both electronic and mechanical (with a disturbingly simple timing system that can be used for other guns.) I also have several working prototypes.

Since the basic layout and design are covered, there are literally dozens of ways to do this system of a stacked tube spooler, and I can't market them all. I am more then willing to release it with some projects like this.

For the other stuff: Valves x 40 or so, a reg, several gun designs, well, shoot; Name it. I am a paintball geek. And I have the CAD to prove it.

Josh
    "If you build it they will run" - pbjosh
    MM006610 bought new in '94. One owner.
    http://itspaintball.com For Pneu Ideas

I have an idea for a High-end mech. In my head it seems better than the mag, but in reality it's probably just an idea worthy of consideration. If we don't set up a chat room (or something similar) soon, I'm just going to publicly disclose my idea.
    Last edited by questionful; 11-03-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Anti-Chop Ram. Contingent on approval with my partner in this venture.